Yeah! Jewel has foaled a 'fool day' filly 4.1.13

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.. If it werent for this site.. I would be so nervous about such a mishaped belly. This is her 4th foaling. I have no idea what the stallion was that she was bred to. I know it was from a registered quality mini. Not sleeping super well that is for certain. I have no way of hooking up the mini cam but every bump at night is practically beneath our bedroom window at night.

Well.. it is a V shape but here are the other photos from different angle that don't look so Vish.

JewelVbelly (1).jpg

JewelVbelly (6).jpg

Wow, that's quite the V. I have yet to see a V on my mares.

Case in point, here is Tana just hours before she foaled last summer (she's the one turned sideways;Dolly the cremello is just fat):

Tana - June 23, 2012 - with Dolly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to take the poop scoop wheel barrel out of pen today and caught Jewel rubbing her udder with the handle of the wheel barrel. It scared me so bad so I got her all looked at good down there and cleaned her up with a Hibiclens as it has that Chlorhexidine in it. Thankfully she did not damage at all but was obviously having itchy issues or something with her udder. It is puffy but not tight, but I am used to a goat's udder so it could be fuller than I think.

Chanda, that is a stream line horse you have. She sure doesnt look prego much at all! Beautiful horse.

Here is a photo below looking out one of our bedroom windows that look right below into the horse prego pen. It is so warm here now at nights and sunshine weather for next couple of weeks with few chances of rain. It may get down to as low as 50 tonight. I don't have her locked up in a small stall as she seems to need to wander a bit in the smaller pen area still at night & one stall area is only about 8x8 size. She keeps wondering why I am looking out my window at her so much but she does keep going into her mounded straw bed to pee. She is hiding in the corner of her pen. This set up is the best I can do for watching her for now.

DSC_0361.jpg

Wow, Jewel's belly looks awesome! Can't wait to see this baby, she's such a beautiful girl
default_smile.png

Chanda, that is a stream line horse you have. She sure doesnt look prego much at all! Beautiful horse.
Thank you. And, just for reference, if it matters: Tana is a 38" mare, bred to a 35.75" stallion and she was maiden last year. [she was fatter in past years when she wasn't bred. I think I finally have a handle on my feed program.]

Wow she has a serious "V". Diane she might not have read the whole book but she definitely flicked through the pages of "how to position your foal"
default_new_rofl.gif

Well this mare is doing all sorts of things to make me nervous. Her pen (yard) along with her barn is where I have her at night now to be separated from Sparkles horse. I usually feed them and then let her finish before I let her out of her pen to be with Sparkles. Well today.. I was just a few minutes late of doing that and she evidently got impatient. I have a chain wrapped around the gate latch as I know horses can lift latches .. well .. that wide load Jewel, lifted latch, opened gate, and squeezed under and through about an 18 inch open chained gate. Ahhh.. I ran out to see her closing the gate with her nose and then worried she had squished her belly badly. Oh my.. Thot she would squeeze the baby right out. After yesterday's wheel barrel incident.. I just not sure what she might do.. she is evidently very anxious.

Diane, I will get those back pictures up along with an udder pict. Her back end is not looking ready much at all. Doesnt look like it to me as things are still not loose or relaxed and the color is pinkish.. even light pinkish.

Here are more pictures from this afternoon here. Her area in the backside sure doesnt look too ready.. I also hope this horse isnt one of those horses that had to have a sew job done. Almost looks like a scar line just above the opening. Not sure quite what to think of that. Her belly has changed a bit even today. She has been eating a itty bit of fresh grass. (15 minutes worth) It is the planted safe pasture grass (endophyte free) for the horse field.

Jewel2.28back.jpg

Jewel2.28.jpg

Jeweludder2.jpg

Jewelback.jpg

default_thumbup.gif
Yep she is moving along wonderfully, thanks for the great pics
default_yes.gif
next time can you take the udder pic from in between her back legs
default_please.gif
just go down to knee height move her tail slightly and snap, this way we get to see how big it is and which way her nipples are pointing. We aren't very demanding here are we
default_new_rofl.gif

ha ha.. ok.. I will try to get that angle of the udder.. but.. Jewel and I have come a long ways. ... getting an udder picture of her is not terrifically easy. She is getting better at letting me do this but I am still bit nervous of getting down to the hoof kick level ... Don't think she would now as she has learned to trust me now but she does not like me even at the back end taking pictures.. she starts breathing hard.. bending ears back.. swishing tail and moving away. She thinks it is weird for me to take those kind of photos and objects with her body language.

She doesnt have trouble with being checked out in the back end and seems to know what we are doing but hates the camera pointed at her.. but is more like... "Absolutely no camera pointed there at all please." That is where she draws the line of patience

How about getting someone else to feed her a treat while you get round the back end, crouch down and as she swishes her tail 'SNAP' - hey presto, you have your picture!!
default_yes.gif

Last night I had the most 'real' dream. It was so real and I know it was brought about because I wasnt sleeping well. Before I finally went to sleep.. I had given one last peek out my window.. Jewel was standing in her corner asleep so I went to bed.. woke up sometime later to see her laying down sleeping with her head up so I finally fell asleep for only until about 3:30 when my dream woke me up!<br /><br />The dream: I dreamed I looked out the window.. right there was Jewel standing in her same spot.. and she had pushed her straw away to bare dirt so as I was intently staring at that bare dirt spot.. up popped a little head.. a dark little body was lying there .. I could barely make out the sillohette of its ears with the light shining but it was definetly a foal.. then I saw this little white blaze as the foal brought her head around and it was trying to stand up.. Oh... I was estatic.. I rushed quickly to put on jeans and was trying to wake my husband.. Then I sat up in bed all confused trying to wake up to realize it was only a dream... but not being convinced .. I got out of bed to look out the window.. there was Jewel standing in her same corner .. somewhat asleep. No foal anywhere to be found.. it was just a dream.

LOL!! Bet you have many more of those on the run up to her foaling - it happens to all of us a lot of the time, very good for getting the old heart pumping wildly!!

I know things are getting a lot closer. I say.. close anyways. .. Today, the udder filled more and stayed full. Jewel was quite uncomfortable and agitated, swishing her tail a lot and even pulling it up.. she was standing like a stretch position with her legs. mushy poos everywhere. We ended up having a lot of people over today working. Hired a friend to help build fences for new larger horse field. Jewel did not like the company much but she ended up finally relaxing. I washed her udder. Things are quite warm here suddenly and it is hard on the horses to have such drastic weather changes as they are itchy. We have been brushing them out each day. Jewels tail is all braided up and clean again.

Oooo sounds as though she could be getting close - mushy poos, tail position, stretching, udder not changing - close watching from now on I think!!

Cant remember, but have you got her stalled separately at night or at least in her own space away from the others - never a good idea to foal a mare in with other horses if possible as either the others may interfere causing the foaling mare to get stressed, or worse still, the foal may not have time to associate itself with its dam's scent, beome confused and run away in fear from all these strange horses, followed by its anxious Momma and a line of other interested horses, which will lead to a very stressed foal and mare, plus the foal (lacking in good eyesight at this stage) may crash into or run through fences.

Of course many mares do produce happily and successfully out in fields with companions present, but this is usually where there are large paddocks and the mare can find a quiet corner to foal in, well away from her friends. We have had 2 successfully foal outside during the day, but we were there as soon as the foals hit the ground. But many years ago we spotted a mare foaling in a far field and by the time we got there the foal was surrounded by it's dam plus other mares and cornered it was throwing itself against the, luckily safe, fence trying to get away. This is why we check our close to foaling mares every 20 minutes when they are outside during the day time!

I have her in a separate pen at night. It is about a 20x30' and then has the barn type stalls to go into. It has been making her companion horse, little Sparkles quite upset that she can not go in with her and Sparkles has been having attitude issues over it of jealousy. As soon as we let prego out of her pen in the morning.. Sparkles goes in and digs at the nice fluffy bed of straw and claims it by laying down and rolling in it. Last eve, we also gave lil sparkles a nice huge fluffy bed of straw next to Jewels fence area and she acted just like an over joyed dog.. so happy to have her own fluffy bed next to Jewels on the other side of fence. I am now mostly homebound not going anywhere but staying very close.. I think it is within a week now.

It sounds as though you have everything set up perfecty - love the way little Sparkles wants to get in on the act. LOL!!

Latest posts

Back