Yeah! Jewel has foaled a 'fool day' filly 4.1.13

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some photos of Jewel that we took today. I think she is looking very close. Even perhaps within the next week to 3 weeks. We cleaned up her udder and her tail end areas & belly very well today. The foal was kicking and very active today making her very uncomfortable. Her udder is a bit puffy but no.. not really filling up.. but there is puffiness in front of her udder.

The timing of things - it appears that everything is about to converge on the first week or 2nd week of February. We have a grandbaby due in 1-2 weeks, my husband goes in for Heart Angiagram/surgery on Monday and - just look at Jewel. She looks tired of being prego. All these things are out of our control so we just take what is ours to work with and do our best. I am rescheduling a vet again since last time.. I ended up in hospital and had to cancel. Over- all I think Jewel looks good and healthy. I am concerned about her thick neck. It just looks flabby fat!

I am also nervous now about getting Jewel vaccinated now this late since I have no idea how far along she is in her pregnancy and not sure I this new vet well enough to feel comfortable with them vaccinating minis.. I would think that she would at least have to be 9 months along and she appears to have actually lost some weight since she came to us in her bottom at least.

Here are the photos from today.

Merry

01.30 (2).jpg

01.30 (6).jpg

01.30 (11).jpg

01.30 (8).jpg

We have actually been able to walk her in a good way every day this week. She fusses a bit on coming up the hill but it has been good for all of us to get some fresh sunshine and air. And oh my word.. just got word that our new GRANDBABY is looking to be soon.. ? Yeah.. life is so happening and eventful ALL the time.

Congratulations on the new Grandbaby coming! Jewel is still looking beautiful, and that tummy is massive!

I was able to get her hooves all cleaned and shaped up a bit. Farrier came out at about 3 weeks ago and her hooves seem to be growing fast. Does anyone know what to give a newborn foal to help with a equine Cocci. Is this a problem for new borns? I cant seem to find anything like that at the feed stores and am thinking it is by vet only to give foals right after birth. I have read that it is important to give the foals something within 12 hours to help prevent them from getting Cocciodosis but cant remember what it is called.

Not sure but maybe you are thinking of e-coli???? I cannot think of the name at the moment but I do give it to my foals within the first 24 hours of birth, also their tetnus shot and mom gets her ivermectin within 12 hours of giving birth. I honestly do not know if foals get Cocciodosis...???

E-Coli anti-toxin I think its called??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for this helpful information. I am thinking and hoping we have at least 2-3 weeks. Her udder just isnt filling or doing much at all. I will make an appointment with the vet to come out. They are just a few miles from us. I am all for vaccinations - especially with the foal but do want to wait at least 2 months for foal. As to the Cocci-I must have read it somewhere that newborns get this. I know goats do and it is a species specific parasite I think. I think a supplement was what I was reading about but not sure. If none of you know of it then it probably isnt too important. The grass isnt growing where the horses are at this time and it is just dirt/rocks. I have a small clean area where I have reserved for mamma and baby when the baby comes of Horse pasture grass I have planted.. It just needs a few weeks to get some grass in between the dirt spots. I will move mamma and baby there to keep out of the dirt and mud. I will try to get more pictures soon. Thanks again.

Yeah! We have a new grandson and all is well. We are very excited and are happy that everything here is going well for us all again. Here are the newest pictures of Jewel horse from yesterday and today. Yesterday we gave her a bath as it has warmed up well here with lots of sunshine. She has actually lost quite a bit of weight from the time she came to us in October. I have added Purina Emolene 300 to her diet with the miniature horse feed and also started her on a tiny bit of alfalfa pellets. She gets all hay she needs free choice now. It is a good light orchard grass hay. The baby is still kicking but has started to move on the left side more which I tho't was weird. I am seeing it move on both sides of belly.

We are trying to do good with her hooves and have the farrier out tomorrow again.

Today was the first time her bag actually had some change in it. I have no idea how far along this horse is in her pregnancy but I am thinking that she has about 2-3 weeks to go still. I don't know. Her udder still could grow a lot more

Here are pictures below of yesterday clean and today all dirty again. The last photo is kinda bleached out as I used a flash. These are all of Jewel

2.13.13(2).jpg

2.13.13.jpg

2.13.13(3).jpg

2.14 Udder.jpg

2.14.13.jpg

2.14.13(2).jpg

default_new_multi.gif
Congratulations Grandma
default_new_multi.gif
How about a pic of the new baby too
default_yes.gif

Jewel looks great and she has definitely lost weight and looks so much better for it. This baby is going to be amazing and I can't wait to see him/her.

Oh thank you.

and... I goofed on not taking the correct picture angle from the back end. I thot it was to be from top looking down. I will get another photo of the back looking down on the sides to see how she is positioned. She is used to being looked at evidently and sure knows what we are up to when we check her out back there. Things look pinkish still inside that area & not reddish. She is a nervous horse and to have her be patient when I check her is very nice of her as she knows we know what's going on. She started her separate sleeping times from Sparkles and feedings now as it takes her so long to eat. She is seeming very content with her sleeping area and went inside to rest last eve. Our bedroom window sits feet away from this area and I can check on her through the night quite easily by just looking out our large window. She actually is now welcoming being separated from Sparkles at night.

Oh and as far as our new baby grandson goes. WE are all so thrilled. He is a beautiful baby, Half East Indian and half of what ever it is that we are which is a combination of all sorts of old American Irish,Scottish,German,Cherokee imigrants. Not all the family has seen the baby so I am hesitant to post online photos. But he is a special little package. We are so thankful. He may have blue eyes, with black hair. We expected a little darker baby but he is so light. My daughternlaw has a Scottish Grandfather tho so she also is a mix which is called anglo Indian in her country. We will hopefully have a little mini for each grandchild here.

* I would also like to say that ALL babies are beautiful. All HUMAN babies are so very beautiful with a special purpose AND that includes even those born with disabilities. A very encouraging life to read about or see online via Utube is Nick Vujicic about a man born without any arms or legs. This is truly an inspiration to see and hear this man talk. He is fun and full of joy. You won't view 'disabilities' the same after hearing this man. You can google his name and pull up lots of his Utubes including a music video he made. Awesome.

Life just means so much.

Many congrats on your new g/son - waiting impatiently to see the pictures, but do understand why you feel it better to delay for a few days. Do pass our congratulations on to the proud parents too.
default_yes.gif

Oh thanks so much for all the congratulations. Grandbaby is doing so well and growing. We sure so happy to have all our sons and wives live close with grandkids. We have 3 grandsons. Diane, thanks for sharing about your twin daughters and your grandkids. I sure love this time of our lives. I have one little photo i will share.

BabyM.jpg

I have been wanting to get more pictures of Jewel horse out ... especially of her side and her back end. Today her udder has really filled and feels almost tight... very puffy. Her belly is hanging now and she is uncomfortable acting. I have so many concerns for her because I havent had her vaccinated. She was vaccinated just before she came to us in October. I ended up in the hospital the day that I had the vet coming out so cancelled that ... Now it is just so close to her foaling out that I just am not wanting to give her a vaccination for fear of what type of reaction she might have and not knowing what the vet might want to give. I also am dealing with a brand new vet that I am having a hard time just trusting at this close to due date for a vaccination .. we really liked our past vet but he moved. I will call vet as soon as this little horse goes into labor tho.

-Two concerns I have: Jewel keeps rolling on the ground. She is so very dirty from doing this. It is making her a dusty mess. I think she is also doing it because of mosquitoes biting. I sprayed her with a type of natural spray on her this eve which helped to repel the bugs for now. The other concern is that I keep seeing the baby move on both sides where as before it was just on the right side. It is the upper left side that I am seeing movement and I assume that this is normal. Her udder looks like it could be ready; her belly looks more V shaped.. BUT her back end area sure doesnt look ready... as it isnt puffy or red inside. This horses nursery pen is literally right by our large bedroom window so any bump/thump or noise out there wakes me up. The only resent picture is from yesterday. From the back side, it looks like baby has dropped.

Jewelprego.jpg

Thanks so much. I will check out those photos and video. This site has been very helpful. I only have goats to compare this pregnancy to and our Does (especially one) will let me know exactly when she thinks it is time. They also have more notable signs of impending labor with enormous udders and their tail bone area shows differently. I have one Doe.. each year.. she will head toward the goat kidding pen nursery gate and yell to go inside when it is time. Usually within a day or even hours later, she kids out. So horses are so different, more secretive, not especially fond of me checking them over and Jewel, I think was used to better accommodations of a classier barn area I am sure because when I showed her the nursery area barn stall area; she went inside.. ears went back... she didnt seem to overly impressed but then she decided she liked it after all and was more grateful as if to say.. "Well.. a bit small, but I guess it will do."
default_smile.png

Jewel was in a very pleasant happy mood today. I'm not sure what that could be but she seems happier than normal. Her belly is definitely turning into a V shape. Here are photos from today. Her udder is actually not doing much at all it seems.

JewelVbelly (4).jpg

I am kinda home bound at this time as I am sure she will kid any day now.

h haha ha .. I did it.. oops .. I actually said 'kid' instead of foal. well.. I was bound to slip up with our past years of goat kidding. ha ha..

WOW! That is definitely the "V" shape..... I bet we will have a foal VERY soon!! Any other photos of her?

That is a very pointy belly lol I would be keeping a close eye on her just in case she is sneaky about the udder

WOW--what a V!!! I think Jewel is going to beat Charm "by a nose!"
default_laugh.png

I'm a bit late but I just did some catching up, congratulations on your grandbaby too!

Latest posts

Back