Would you breed to a stallion?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knighthawke

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just had a question. I have never delt with a stallion that I know has produced dwarfs.

I know of a very beautiful stallion that has exceptional bloodlines. I contacted the lady about seeing if she would lease him to me because my stallion was not old enough to breed last year and didnt seem interested (He was 2 1/2). So probably this year he will be ready to go, but he is a tiny stallion bearly 29 1/2 inches tall. I have a couple b mares to breed next spring and I dont think he would get it done, let alone I didnt want to give him a bad experience. SO

I asked my friend if I could lease her stallion. She was very honest. She told me that she stopped breeding after getting him because he:

Throw B size offspring sometimes - Which I dont care I like larger for driving.

He didnt throw color which he is from good appy lines - Which I like appies but if there solid I can deal with that.

But the third responce was he thru dwarfs. I am not sure how many if it was just one or what. I am going to contact her about if it was one time or what.

I really like this stallion when he thru color WOW. And the nice ones were nice. But she said she could not recommend him.

She has another stallion I could lease that is appy but it is a 1/2 brother to my mares so that wouldn't work.

[SIZE=14pt]WHAT WOULD YOU DO???[/SIZE]

Thanks for any input. You can send private emails if you prefer.

NO DEFINITELY NOT!!!! You may end up with another horse that carries the gene and will continue to pass it on. If you knew how dwarves suffer you wouldn't even consider it. We are breeding miniature horses not dwarves.

Like Minimor, I would not breed any horse that has produced a dwarf. Even if you do not 'get' an actual visible dwarf, there is a risk of producing even more 'carriers'-which,IMO, is one big reason why there are still a fair number of dwarves being produced within miniature horses.

NO! I have 2 dwarfs. I love them more than life itself but PLEASE do not perpetuate this gene! ! This stallion is definitely not the ONLY stallion in the world! In my opinion, he should be a gelding! If you want more info on dwarfs, please PM me.

Not a good idea l think anything that has produced a dwarf should never be bred again and fixed. l know in my area it is a hush hush thing and people are still in the closet so to speak but l have heard of more of them in the past few years. Then there is the donkey butt who is up front and actually raises them for resale and has them sold each year without a problem.
no.gif

No! We had a stallion that produced a dwarf for us and I'm positive he had produced them before and just kept getting sold on. We promptly gelded him. I know that some of the big name stallions have probably sired dwarves and that's something we will never know... If I did know the stallion produced them, he would be gelded promptly. The little mare our stallion threw the dwarf with has been sold as a pet only... The dwarf was the light of my days when he was alive, and the absolute sweetest little guy, he died at 3 months old and it was one of the hardest things my Mom and I had to do, the day we decided to have him put down. His little legs couldn't hold his weight anymore. Even the vet got teary
no.gif
No after that experience I wouldn't breed a stallion that I knew produced dwarves.

Knighthawke said:
Hello Everyone,........... 

She has another stallion I could lease that is appy but it is a 1/2 brother to my mares so that wouldn't work.

[SIZE=14pt]WHAT WOULD YOU DO???[/SIZE]

Thanks for any input.  You can send private emails if you prefer.

528310[/snapback]

Is there a big reason you wouldn't want to breed to the 1/2 brother? I mean some fault in the line that you are worried about reproducing? Because breeding that close will reinforce any faults (high rump, bad legs, etc) but other than that it's done. I mean look at the father's to daughters etc. in the breed book. If I liked the line, I might try the 1/2 brother. Otherwise, are you too far away from a good vet facility to get AI (using frozen sperm)?

No, I would not breed to a stallion that produces or has produced a dwarf. I know there are some that have 10 normal and then a dwarf, but it is painful to watch some of these babies grow with the health problems they have.

Just a side note. I would not rebreed a mare that produced a dwarf either.

There are many many nice stallions out there to breed to, you do not have to choose second best. Find out more about this guy and then make the right decision.

Where are you located? Maybe someone here on the forum can help you out. I am with the others... I would not knowingly breed to a stallion who had sired dwarves previously. I couldn't take knowing I would only have the foal for a short time before it's pain got to be too much for it. I want to have my foals around for longer than only a couple of years.

No, absolutely not...

I really like this stallion when he thru color WOW. And the nice ones were nice. But she said she could not recommend him
What I wonder, is why on Earth she still has him as a stallion, if even she says she wouldn't recommend him. Geld-geld-geld!!!

No, I wouldn't do it knowingly.

I would feel awful if another dwarf was produced and suffered because of my choices.

But must ad I know very little about the gene that causes dwarfism and if both parents must be carries to produce a dwarf etc.

Capall, I think nobody knows a lot about the dwarf gene. That in itself is one BIG reason in my opinion to stay away from any known carrier.

It is very disheartening when it shows up, it is a tough decision to make but any breeding animal if it produces non desireable qualities, whether the animal themself be of superior quality or not needs to be taken out of the reproduction cycle.

All of us should be striving to better the breed. That is what responsible breeding is. So in my opinion, if an animal does not out produce themself, mare or stallion, it should not be bred.

And trust me, I know, this is easier said than done. Just think of all the wonderful performance geldings and mares we would have if this were readily practiced.

Frankly, I don't know much about the dwarf genetic code. Sadly, a friend purchased a beautiful stallion and the owner didn't disclose that 80 percent of his offspring were dwarfs.

Clearly, this stallion should've been gelded with such a track record by the original owner.

The plight of dwarfs is a sad, painful one. Yes, they bring their caregivers so much joy, as they're so loving. However, watching them slowly perish from breathing problems, etc. is heartbreaking.

Please, for the love of the breed, do not follow through with leasing this stallion. There are sooo many beautiful ones out there, why take a known chance.

Idea: Perhaps you could place an ad on the Sale Board, outlining your need to "lease" a stallion for a breeding season. Trust me, there are plenty of folks that would jump at the chance to have one less pasture to maintain!

Cindy

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish you had been with me at work three weeks ago when we dealt with a newborn foal w/ genetic problems that his dam provided. It was a pony foal, not a mini, but pain is pain no matter what the size of the offspring. The cranial swelling, the IV line, the fluids and blindness were all the foal experienced in her 48 hours of life. Hopefully the foal felt the love too from her owners and the clinic staff.

The gal is a first time horse owner/backyard breeder and one that doesn't ask questions, she just "breeds it" and other deal with the disasters. Your light years ahead of her by coming here and asking opinions and I tip my hat to you. Please take to heart what people have shared here with you and what the stallion owner has offered. It is one thing to have a mare foal an unexpected dwarft and it is totally different to knowlingly breed a/to a horse that has a documented history of producing dwarfts.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, definately not.

I do repect the owner for being so honest with you.

Wondering why she hasn't gelded him?

Wondering if he also exhibits dwarf characteristics himself?

hhpminis said:
Capall, I think nobody knows a lot about the dwarf gene.  That in itself is one BIG reason in my opinion to stay away from any known carrier.It is very disheartening when it shows up, it is a tough decision to make but any breeding animal if it produces non desireable qualities, whether the animal themself be of superior quality or not needs to be taken out of the reproduction cycle.

528469[/snapback]

I really have to agree with hhp. (both of her posts) I think many would say they would breed if the horse produced just one dwarf. I don't know enough about it to make a judgment.

But what really ticks me off is knowingly breeding a stallion or mare or pair that has produced dwarves and selling them to people. It is underhanded and terribly disreputable. Especially without telling them. But I myself, would not breed the horses to begin with. It does nothing to better the breed. There are just to many dishonest breeders out there. And down the road it cause nothing but heartache.

Thanks for everyones responce. I never delt with dwarfs or had one. So that is why I was asking. YOU helped me make up my mind.

I only have one question. Since I know this stallions bloodlines, would you stay competley away from this stallions pedigree. The other stallion she has is not related to him at all, so I could use him with no problem.

I will say even the lady that has him stopped breeding compeletly because of him. She went back to the well known farm and told them and she paid BIG bucks for him and they didnt even seem to care.

Well thank again maybe I will try line breeding with her other stallion. I used him before and have a really nice tiny filly from him. I just never delt with line breeding.

Thanks again.

Barbara,

Just breed all of your mares to Zorro, Thunder Cloud or Codys Cool Attitude and you would have lots and lots of pretty foals!!
yes.gif

Sherry

Here is an example of mistakes we have made in the past as far as an industry. I was doing research last year on pedigrees and gathering pictures of horses that we see a lot in pedigrees. This one shocked me. He has numerous get, grand get, etc. out there, sure most that are alive today are fine, but how many were there that we dont now about. How many rogue dwarf genes that didn't display are out there in the breeding stock that we have today?

????????????????????????? Who knows!

Introducing Dell Teras Lord of the Isles!

DellTerasLordOfTheIsles.jpg

Latest posts

Back