Worming question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnolia_dream

Reaction score
Ok i did a dumb thing and didn't record when i last wormed my ponies, i know that it was sometime in may, my mini either has a hay belly or is wormy, i cant be sure but if i were to worm her now could it be harmful to her?

If it was in May, absolutely go ahead and worm again. I worm mine every 90 days, and the babies every 60 days

Some horses that may be really full can be wormed more often than that til it is under control as recommended by your vet, etc..

If you think she's "wormy" I would do a five-day course of Safeguard (fenbendazole). On the package it has instructions for this (in Canada they do, anyway). I would worm "yesterday" LOL! If you're late worming (or de-worming
default_smile.png
) there is never a wrong time. Most products are safe (with the exception of Quest) for minis. Find a good worming program and stick to it; it feels great to get on a schedule!

P.S. I have my fillies (yearlings) on a 60 day program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I would deworm her again too. I usually do most of mine every 2 months and my foals about every month.

Yes i've read of the heartbreaks due to quest and i will NEVER use it. So it's ok every two months i've always read it's every three months, i'm going to use a 300 pound dose on her with a type of offbrand ivermectin paste, it's nasty looking yellow!yuck

Yes i've read of the heartbreaks due to quest and i will NEVER use it. So it's ok every two months i've always read it's every three months, i'm going to use a 300 pound dose on her with a type of offbrand ivermectin paste, it's nasty looking yellow!yuck

For adults (over one year) I would do every two months and for under a year every month as per "crponies".

I deworm every other month, and with foals, every month. I always use Ivermectin. You should be fine / safe if you go on and de-worm now.

Latest posts

Back