Working horses during the winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
Hello,

Question regarding a mini mare. She has been trained to cart and is a very nice mare, she is over weight as she has spent the last year and half as a pet. I have been working her in cart for over a month now gradually increasing time and workload, she has lost weight and is looking really good. However my question is there ever a danger or concern with working her in the cold. She does break into a sweat most of the time, and I work her in the morning as I do work as well. It was 31 degrees here this morning and my husband was concerned about her sweating in such cold weather, so she ended up getting a break. She really does have more weight to loose for her to be at the ideal healthy size, do I stop due to the cold, or will the cold not effect her while in a sweat?? She is getting her winter hair, I thought about trimming her body and then blanketing her, is this a good idea or work her with her wool?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

However my question is there ever a danger or concern with working her in the cold. She does break into a sweat most of the time, and I work her in the morning as I do work as well. It was 31 degrees here this morning and my husband was concerned about her sweating in such cold weather, so she ended up getting a break. She really does have more weight to loose for her to be at the ideal healthy size, do I stop due to the cold, or will the cold not effect her while in a sweat?? She is getting her winter hair, I thought about trimming her body and then blanketing her, is this a good idea or work her with her wool?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
There is no problem with working a horse in cold weather. Basically if you don't mind being out in it then it is suitable weather for horses. You do need to be sure to cool her out and get her dry before leaving her afterwards though. With their thick coats they can be difficult to get dry and I have been known to blow dry a horse after a workout in the cold. I always let them have a roll which helps to dry them too. A trace high clip can also make things easier but I leave that for only the ones that are kept stalled and blanketed as our weather here is too cold to consider clipping an outdoor horse.

When I rode big horses as a teen and in my twenties, and boarded with a trainer, we all rode unless it hit zero degrees! Spent lots of time walking them in coolers too! I am well past my twenties now, and have two drivers coming out of training, both within the next 2 weeks. I will probably drive them into mid-December, and then rest them till March. It is just so cold in IL. My one trainer is getting two more minis to train to drive next week, and plans on having them green broke in the next two months, so she'll be driving into early February in IL. She trains at an Arab farm, and they are mostly done with riding now till spring, although some horses will be lunged. If you do work them, don't get them too hot and really cool them down good.

My personal cutoff is 20 degrees! I can't take it below that!
laugh.gif

We work our horses all winter. They can get sweaty, but we bought wool blankets for coolers at the local army surplus store for about $20 a piece. (You can't by wool fabric for that!) We use spring clips to hold them shut around the neck and belly while the horse dries in the stall before we turn them back out. The wool wicks the moisture away from the coat. If they are really wet, which doesn't happen as much once they are in better shape, then we might strip one blanket for another dry one.

Myrna

Working in winter weather is a lot like working in summer weather. It's fine, as long as you have yourself and the horse perpared for it. I don't worry so much about the termperature as I do abou the air quality. Some days, it is just so cold that it is hard to breathe. On those days, I keep things very mellow. If you have to work outside, the wind really becomes a factor. Just keep a lot of Pam on hand and be sensible.

The wool blankets are a great idea. I'm going to haunt the local thrift stores and see if I can find some too!

Latest posts

Back