Woohoo!! Two more foals here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started her out with a quarter teaspoon and 'hid it' in her beet pulp. She just knew I was trying to poison her with that smelly stuff. After she would readily eat that in about 3 days, I upped it to about a half teaspoon, etc... until I got her up to one teaspoon a day. I noticed a difference before she was even up to the full teaspoon in about 10 or 12 days!!!

Keep in mind, if you have a mare that will not carry a foal and is really obese, have them checked for thyroid deficiency. Cinnamon will not fix that and this mare was put on both thyroid medicine, which takes MONTHS before you will see any weight change apparently, so decided the cinnamon couldn't hurt, and it sure did the trick! I was very concerned about her health since this mare was so obese and I needed to safely get some weight off of her. Cinnamon is used on IR horses to help control that, as it does in people, and will help with the extra weight on those horses as well.

I just can't believe this mare even conceived BEFORE being put on the thyroid meds or cinnamon!! THAT is the true miracle here. My vet, who used to raise Minis and is an expert with them, didnt even guarantee she would carry a foal even with the meds.

Many times a thyroid mare will conceive, but just abort, or just wont conceive at all. So I am shocked that she carried this foal until she got her system straightened around.

Dont think this old lady was not attempting to do cartwheels, back flips, etc.... across the yard when I saw this baby! I am STILL pinching myself!
default_new_shocked.gif

I am so thankful that she didnt have other health issues come up from being so overweight, etc... and that she has settled in now, since being on the meds also, to be able to go out with a couple of other horses and join the herd, and get along with them. And she is a great mama too. And the filly is a little snot! (are we allowed to say that here, LOL)

Whooo Hooooo Laurie, I'm so glad you finally have some fillies. And very pretty ones to boot! I'm having a good chuckle at your thinking of changing your name to Heather Glen Stud Farm.

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Haha Dawn, but I was really serious there for a while. I had nothing but boys for years. One year had four foals due and just KNEW one of them would have to be a filly. Nope. All boys, again. For about five years....
default_wacko.png

I guess I wont change the name yet this year, LOL. I got one more chance! Not holding my breath on the last foal due though.... I'm sure it will be back to the usual..... you know.........

Wow Laurie, She sure is beautiful! You weren't kidding in your email
default_smile.png

A thousand Congratulations to you--you sure could use something so wonderful & positive right now
default_saludando.gif

Thank you!!! They certainly have been a blessing at this time! They have all brought a smile to my face in this rough year we've had so far. (I guess I 'failed' my CT scan and have to go back for another)

Lucky YOU!!! That mare sure paid u back for taking care of her. Happy u got some girls this year,, good for u!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Laurie,

So happy to hear your good news about these foals. Wow...that spotted girl is beautifull. That filly helps erase a lot of the struggle you have had to go through with the mare.

Sorry to hear about the repeat ct scan. Still thinking and praying for you both.

Latest posts

Back