Woohoo!! Two more foals here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm

Reaction score
On March 19, Dream foaled a dainty little bay filly, sired by my Renegade. She has Dream's big eye again, and plenty of leg. She was a whopping 19.75" tall.

Here she is at a couple of weeks old...

L.40709Dreamfilly.jpg

L.040709Dreamfilly2.jpg

Many of you know the saga of my 'fluffy mare' that I purchased as a broodmare, hopefully bred, that had the horribly low thyroid level, was not pregnant, but very obese. After an ugly ordeal with the seller last spring, in which she was to be repurchased, but wasn't, here she sat. I had bred her to my leopard stallion (in the avatar) a couple of times, but when her thyroid test came back so terrible, and the vet advised even with meds she would not guarantee the mare would carry a foal- (I had even tried to sell her but no one wanted her with the problems) I gave up.

I didnt put her on medication until late October, then in November also put her on cinnamon for her weight, as she was so obese I really thought she would die or founder. I had posted a couple of times on her progress with the cinnamon and how well it was working on her weight issue.

In January, I noticed that she looked a little 'dumpy' and her weight over her back, shoulders etc... was staying ok, but her belly looked a bit like one with poor nutrition or wormy pot got. Not bad, but she just didnt look right. I was concerned about her feed perhaps not agreeing with her, so kept an eye on her, and again seperated her at both a.m. and p.m. feedings to monitor really how much she was getting. Her hair coat looked awful.

On Saturday, March 21, I brought her in from the lot, and planned on making a call to the vet that week to come out and take a look and see what was going on or recommend something different for feed, and have her blood levels checked again.

Well, the vet never made the visit. On Sunday a.m. she had dropped about 20 pounds! I was shocked at her condition and can't print here what word came out of my mouth when I saw her that morning.

Here is the weight she dropped!

L40709Vixenfilly.jpg

It's hard to see in the pic (more on the website) but SHE is a 21" FEW SPOT filly- her entire undercoat under the brown is white, so her baby fuzz will fall out and remove most of the brown.

The mare's bag was so tight and small, and she had no nipples to speak of, the foal had nothing to nurse from, so I milked the mare out and bottle fed her a couple of meals and thank heavens that helped the shape of her nipples and by holding the bottle up under the mare's back legs, the filly was able to get the hang of it and finally was able to nurse on her own by that evening!

By the way, here was Vixen late last August before any meds or cinnamon, then in December after a few weeks on the thyroid and cinnamon, and then this morning (sorry, not a great pic, taken with the phone and she still has a lot of hair on her belly to shed)

Vuxenfrontwalk82408.jpg

VixenLF12608.jpg

Vixen40809.jpg

Wow, what a story! Bet you are thrilled with your little suprise too, how couldn't you be!

So that little appy mare was in foal all this time and you had no idea??? Sneaky, sneaky little girl.
default_smile.png
Lucky, lucky you that she had a live foal and even better, one that looks like that!!
default_smile.png

Everyone kept telling me there was a reason she was still here- though I certainly couldnt see what it was at the time. Even if it was because the little mare took to me from the day she arrived (I was warned she didnt care for people and was hard to catch- she has never been hard to catch for me) and she was happier here. I was so angry over the deal and being lied to and about, that I couldnt even stand to look at her for a long time.

Then decided it wasn't HER fault, and my friends must be right because I KNOW that things happen for a reason. She is a great mama and with her thyroid now in balance, she even gets along with a couple of my other mares now and has settled in okay. (She tried to kill a couple on her original arrival here last year- I am NOT kidding- never seen anything like it)

And yes, it was a HUGE shock to find an extra face in the morning!!! She is quite cute and full of beans!

CONGRATULATIONS
default_wub.png
. Okay here is the question of the day. If I feed my pregnant mares cinnamon, will they also have gorgeous colored fillies? If so, I'm going to purchase a few gallons of the stuff tomorrow
default_new_shocked.gif

WOOT!!! TWO pretty fillies!!
default_wub.png
And quite the story to go with the one, wow! Congratulations, looks like things are finally looking UP!!!
default_smile.png

Gosh, I am not sure about the cinnamon, but after YEARS of having boys (was about to change the name to Heather Glen Stud Farm, cause that was ALL I was having, lol) I am very excited to have TWO girls arrive in one year. This has not happened here but twice!!!!

If cinnamon is going to make loud colored girls, I too, am going to buy up all I can and start feeding it to ALL of them, hahahahaha

Thanks to those by the way, who had so much input regarding the cinnamon for helping with weight- especially Liz- she is a wealth of info! I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!

default_new_shocked.gif
WOW. what a wonderful ending to a great story!!! She is gorgeous as is the other bay filly!

I have put my obese mini mare on cinnamon now and am waiting to see if it will help...she was bred but found to be open by palpation and US twice! Who knows maybe she will lose 20 lbs. in the same way
default_wink.png

Laurie, how much cinnamon do you give? I don't have any obese horses here at the moment, but it would be good to know for possible future use.
default_smile.png
I can't wait to see more pics of your fillies (stud farm no more, lol!)
default_laugh.png

Congratulations Laurie!

I think you should name that filly either Cinnamon or SPICE GIRL! Both names fit her!

Latest posts

Back