Wisdom Teeth Removal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Has anyone here had their wisdom teeth removed? Can you share your experience? I am getting my wisdom teeth removed on the 19th of this month - I should have had them out a LONG time ago. I've been putting up with them for about a year now, its mostly the top right wisdom tooth. I've been getting head aches off and on, about 2x a week normally, on that side of my face up through my cheek and temple. Normally, the worst ones would only last for 2 minutes and the others ibuprofen would fix it. Last night I had to go to the ER as I had the worst head ache of my life - for a constant 6 hours. It started around 6pm and so around midnight we went to the ER after I had a slight panic attack over worrying about it (
default_wacko.png
). Doc gave me a script for Amoxicillin to treat it for now as he thinks there is an infection in it which is causing the headaches. My apt is the 19th of this month to get these out. I hate hate hate the dentist, I am the worst patient when it comes to pain esp oral pain.

Did you experience a large amount of pain the days after the surgery? I will probably talk to my dentist about pain meds afterward - which I will NEED to keep from going crazy. I had a tooth filled a while back, long while back
default_smile.png
, and ended up in the ER after the numbness went away as the pain was so bad.

Wisdom teeth
default_no.gif

I had mine (all four) out three years ago at age 29. I did get pain medication - I believe it was hydrocodone, but I don't remember exactly. I took that for a few days then switched to Tylenol. I used ice packs on my cheeks pretty often and tried to eat soft foods for a few days. There were some days that were uncomfortable, but never really painful. I still have the sockets that I can feel with my tongue, but they don't cause any problems.

Had all of mine out years ago at the same time. I think two were impacted and infected. Woke up in recovery with two white tusks coming out of my mouth....
default_smile.png
There was only minimal discomfort. You are probably in much more pain now then you will be when they are taken out. No biggie at all. Just listen to the post op instructions and you will be fine. I know you cannot tell someone how to feel but don't waste too much time worrying about this..........

Carol

Wanted to add.......I use to be afraid of the dentist because they HURT me. Now there is absolutely NO REASON to be hurt by a dentist. They have too many new products to keep you from feeling any pain. And a good dentist will stop and give you more stuff if you feel ANYTHING. So if you are afraid because you are being hurt.....GO TO ANOTHER DENTIST!!!!!!! I do not mean to yell at you but I feel so bad for people who do not know that a dentist does not have to be unpleasant. Nobody likes to go and have their mouths jacked around but there is no reason to be hurt anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had mine out some years ago. Kenny had his out last year. The biggest thing is dont over do that first and second day. I kept warning Kenny but he thought he was fine and over did. So by day 3 he was miserable and in a big amount of pain. Do NOT drink thru a straw. I would buy some of those premade protein shakes in case you cant eat.

Always better to cut out all 4 and get it over with all at once.

Kay

Had mine out many years ago while at college by an oral surgeon. Two were impacted. The oral surgeon said he was taking out all four at the same time because if he only took the two out, I'd never come back for the other two!

I was put under for the ordeal and given pain meds when I woke up. Was in discomfort for several days and looked like a chipmunk. But after about a week, things returned to normal.

I only had two, the bottom ones; I had them removed by an oral surgeon the month before my wedding. I was out for the proceedure, and didn't feel a thing for quite some time after. My mom drove me, as the oral surgeon was 100 miles from where I was living at the time, I had the surgery first thing in the morning, and didn't get much feeling back til late in the evening. I don't remember what they were, but I followed the after care instructions. I took off Thursday and Friday from work, had the proceedure done on Thursday; although I was feeling much better I still called in sick to work Monday (I had sick days to use before I lost them, they don't carry over year to year), and took half a day on Tuesday. [i could have gone to work on Monday and probably been fine, but I wanted to use my sick days and have that extra day to feel better.] It really wasn't that bad, but don't plan to go back to work for a day or two afterwards.

I had a horrible experience when I had mine out, but everyone else I know had no trouble with it.

I had mine out when I was 13, the destist said they were small and would just pop out easily. Turns out all four were impacted and they took them out in pieces. They put me under for it, and I was coming out of the anesthesis about the time they wanted to go to lunch, so they wheeled me out to the car before I was really even awake and I didn't fully wake up until we were sitting in the drugstore parking lot getting my pain prescription filled. By that time I was in so much pain I couldn't swallow the meds. I went home and crashed on the couch and woke up with very puffy cheeks and blood coating my arm. I looked like a chipmunk for about a week and a half, and the pain mostly subsided after the first three days (thanks to good pain meds!). It was only the first day that it was really terrible, however I couldn't eat solid foods for a week, and the muscle in my jaw got so tight that I couldn't open my mouth all the way for several months.

Don't mean to scare you, the doctors told me before hand that red-haired, fair-skinned, girls have the worst reactions, and by my experience I would certainly agree! Like I said, everyone else that I know was perfectly fine, I even know a few people that went and ate hamburgers the next day. No one else had anywhere near the swelling that I had either. You will be fine!!!

Well my experience was a bit different as at the same time they removed my wisdom teeth they also removed a tumor that was in my jaw bone. Almost a 3.5hour surgery.
default_rolleyes.gif
Anywho it was the worst experience of my life. My throat ended up getting scratched so to even breathe in was the most pain I have ever experienced. I have had six surgeries (some were more major than this) and that was easily the worst...I didn't eat anything except for water to take my pills for almost two weeks. In those two weeks I lost 25lbs but gained 5lbs back once I started eating jello/soup broth. Haven't eaten jello since! haha. I could not breathe or "eat" unless I was medicated (morphine based pills) due to the severe pain. Due to the tumor part of the surgery I had to sleep sitting up, and was not allowed anywhere dusty/dirty (i.e. outside haha) for about two months. I wasn't allowed sneezing either! hahaha Good luck trying not to sneeze! So from October 11th 2006 until Christmas time I slept on the couch and didn't get to see my horses unless I had a respirator on. I also ended up with a bad case of dry socket (usually happens in the lower jaw as they can't drain like the upper can)...most people have about three dressing changes and I had nine. They use clove oil and now even the smell of cloves or clove oil makes me nearly vomit. I had a bunch of infections and it just wasn't a good day at sea at all.

Anywho not to scare you but it was the worst time of my life...if there was a life option to be put in a coma for a month after that surgery I would have done it in a heartbeat! hahaha. I actually don't even remember the first three days after the surgery because I was so heavily drugged. Although someone took some pictures of me in that state! haha. That being said I know a couple people who the day after their surgery have gone out an eaten STEAKS!!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Everyone's different in how they react with it. Just get the right medication, do exactly what the Dr tells you to do and you should be good!

Good luck!!!!!!
default_wub.png

I have read about red-headed fair skinned people too, and am one myself. What I read though, wasn't that they have more reactions, but that many meds just don't work as well. I have had to have double doses of freezing meds, because the first dose didn't freeze me at all...and cannot tolerate ANY pain meds except Acetaphenamin. (sp?) I had my wisdom teeth out, and luckily, for that reason, there was no swelling or pain...just a bit of discomfort, so it is possible you will be as fortunate.

Good Luck!!!

I had mine out when I was in my early 20's- eons ago, LOL I had to have mine removed by an oral surgeon. They were sideways in my jaw bones so could not come up and break the skin- one was at an angle enough I could feel the edge of it, but they were shoving all the rest of my teeth forward.

They did all four at once.... OMG. I swelled, couldnt eat for a few days except mushy stuff... but really the recovery time was not that bad... the pain was not horrible. I also swelled like a chipmunk but have blonde hair and very fair skin. I was out for the surgery except when I started to wake up at one point, but they gave me more meds and out I went again, however it didnt hurt.. just pressure. It did take weeks and weeks for the holes to fill in and heal up, but there was not really any pain that was unbearable. Of course the first couple of days after the surgery were the worst.

Get it done.... you wont be sorry and you dont want the headaches, misaligned bite, and other problems they can cause if you dont.

Your recovery time will depend on how impacted they are, etc... and what has to be done to get them out. Good luck!! And once it's done, it's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had mine out in my early 20s. I had it done at St. Mike's in Toronto. General anaesthetic. Not too much pain. All-in-all, it was a breeze.

I got all four of mine pulled last year before I turned 18, didn't have any pain or discomfort prior to the surgery but my mom wanted me to get it done before i turned 18. I was pretty worried and scared too as I hate the dentist. I experienced very little pain and did not take the meds that they had given me. I just took regular pain meds if the pain started bothering me too much to sleep. I had it done late morning and got home early evening, I was out feeding the horses that night, felt great overall, a little bit of discomfort but not much at all. The second day I felt a little more pain but again not much and the pain went down from there. I didn't swell up at all, the worst part for me was not being able to eat "real" food for a couple weeks. I healed up just fine and have had no problems. Overall I'm glad I got them out when I did and looking back it really wasn't all that bad at all. I know it's not that easy for everyone but that's my experience. Im sure you'll be just fine and looking back Im sure you'll be glad you got them out.

I just had all 4 of mine removed last month during one of our blizzards. I had put it off for 3 years. The dentist said that I should have had them out when I was 18 instead of 28. lol. They never bothered me. But I did have some pretty bad cavities in them though. The dentist said its better to have them removed when you are younger because they have not fully grown out. lol. Opps!!!

They put me to sleep. All I remember was them putting the IV in my arm and me saying ouch that hurt. I looked up and said WHooo, the doctor said yeah you should be feeling something by now. Well thats all she wrote. I got woken up after they were done. I dont remember leaving, getting in the car or the ride home. I slept the whole way. I dont really remember even getting in the house.

That night I was pretty sore. They gave me Norco (generic for Vicodin), Ibeprophen 600mg and penicillin. I took the pain meds for 2 or 3 days. But did pretty good on the ibeprophen. I had to take it for almost two weeks. As I am a smoker
default_smokesmile.gif
and older and my sockets didnt heal that fast. I was in some pain for a couple of days.

I am glad now that I got it over with and dont have to worry or hear my dentist say " have you made your appointment to get your wisdom teeth removed yet?"

Just make sure that you have someone to drive you.

I had to have someone take me and stay there until I was done incase of a accident and to drive me home. I was instructed not to lift anything heavy for a couple of days as it can cause dry sockets. Ice packs worked great on the swelling. But all in all it wasnt that bad at all. I have had worse pain !

I had mine out when I was 17...all were impacted and they really had to dig to get at them, the bottom ones were growing straight down. I had alittle swelling, but not bad, no bruising. The pain wasn't bad at all, I mean it didn't feel good, but was pretty much painless compared to some of the other things in my life. By the third day, I would of never known it happened had it not been for the end of the stitches that were hanging down my throat causing me to gag alittle...my Mother trimmed them up a bit and I was fine. Good luck.

All four of my wisdom teeth are pretty much all the way in, they don't bother me at all. I really hope I never have to have them pulled out!

I had my bottom 2 removed 8 years ago or so (I was still in Highschool) and I am actually planning to have my top two removed this year (was going to last year but then I was pregnant so decided to put it off)... I am NOT a big fan of the dentist -- I put off EVERY dental trip for as long as possible BUT I will tell you that I thought the pain was very minimal.... Actually the shots in the mouth were the worst part as far as I was concerned... I did not get knocked out (my choice) just had the locals.... But I got there early morning and was headed home by noon... Both of mine were impacted still so they did have to cut the gums and break them out in pieces -- I know it sounds painful BUT you will be numb so you wont feel anything.... IF YOU DO they will give you more medicine.... I had a couple stiches in each one and they tell you not to drink from a straw or spit as it will pull on the stitches.. They gave me a pain medication and penicillian -- the penicillian is to prevent infection from setting in.... I took the pain medicine right after we got it and didnt have to take it again and I was able to eat McDonalds French Fries that night... Maybe not the best thing to eat but they sure tasted good even if I had to chew them with my front teeth
default_smile.png

Anyways -- I was VERY scared before my appt but it really ended up being nothing to be afraid of... But as someone said make sure you have someone to drive you as they will NOT release you to drive yourself unless you sit there for at least an hour (and you wont feel like driving yourself anyways if you have been drugged up)...

I actually just got a new dentist -- didnt really care for the previous one and I am so glad as I had a filling done today and this dentist made me much more comfortable so makes it easier to not be so nervous.... So I am actually not near as stressed about having the top two removed soon...

Good Luck!

Mine were done in high school - not the best time I've ever had LOL, but a pretty routine surgery. My daughter had her lowers done in her teens as the uppers weren't far enough in to remove them, and she had a terrible time....because she didn't follow instructions. Her uppers were done not long ago and she had no problems whatsoever with them, aside from some discomfort for a few days. Biggest factor is probably for smokers or anyone else who is prone to dry sockets. I agree wholeheartedly with Carol - a trip to the dentist shouldn't be so bad it causes pain and panic! I've had lots of dental work done in my life (another crown last week) but have been fortunate enough to have a good dentist, the same one for over 20 years now. I know I can trust them to take care of me, and he will stop if he has any indication I'm not comfortable.

Jan

I had all four of mine out about 30 years ago, when I was in my early 20's. They weren't impacted or anything, they just had cavities. I remember lying in the chair and them starting to put me under, then waking up a minute later in the recovery room. I don't know how long it actually took, but it seemed quick enough. I had it done on a Friday, and my mom came and spent the weekend with me. She made a lot of soup and tea for me! I was pampered and very well looked after so that, by Monday, I was right as rain and could easily go back to work. I followed all the afer-care instructions to the letter and the pain was minimal, especially with the 222's I was taking! I think Kay's advice about not overdoing things too soon is very wise indeed! And I also agree with Carol that you're probably in far more pain and discomfort now, especially if there's infection, than you will be afterwards.

Focus on all the positive experiences that were shared here and try to forget the horror stories! LOL I sure hope it all goes well for you, Leanna!

Back