Winter training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
The snow gets pretty deep up here in the mountains so I'd like to know what you guys do to continue driving training during the winter.

I use the tractor to plough my driving area clear of snow so that I can continue working. I also drive on the roads in the winter and have had the odd year that the snow was either packed hard enough or was light enough that we could sleigh on it.

I guess I'll be snow blowing the round pen
default_smile.png

It is far too cold here to clip, and we get too much rain for snow-blowing to work...the ring just ices up, so they get a well-deserved break in the winter till April or May.

I generally give myself a month or two off at this time of year- I am not sure the horses care either way as they are all out 24/7 so they are not really bothered. They are far more interested in the prospect of winter feeds than they are winter work
default_wink.png

So I shall not do anything now, apart form using Misty pull out the mares feeds, until probably Feb/March time. I hope it does not snow, but I have a feeling it will. This time last year I was two feet deep in the stuff!!

Suffice it to say I am notdreaming of a white Christmas
default_rolleyes.gif

No driving here. Not that the horses WOULDN'T do it but I WON'T. Too cold! Hate snow! Hate cold! Yeah, and I live in Wisconsin -- go figure. I let the horses just exercise themselves ( the cold air will get them running around). If I do anything it's work on obstacle -- turns, obedience to signals, backing straight, etc., things we can do in the barn aisle.

It's good to remember that everything you do, whether it's grooming or driving or in between, even a walk down the drive is still TRAINING.

Last edited by a moderator:
My plans this winter, and I live in the mountains too, is to modify my idea of "training" to include things already mentioned, like basic ground manners, commands, STAND!! Especially the last one. I would like my mares able to listen to the command stand no matter the circumstance, or if I am in eyesight or ear shot. I want to teach them basically to ground tie like my stock horses used to do. I feel this may improve my spring driving training by leaps and bounds, even though they have a fairly good stand now. I went out for a drive yesterday down our road and some spots were slightly icy, so I turned around and drove around our property a bit. This is my biggest issue with winter: ice. I hope to continue to ground drive quite a bit though.

Skijoring is high on my list to attempt this year with my older mare. I purchased a steel singletree that weighs 2 pounds, and with a climbing harness on me, and a quick release trailer tie between me and horse, I think I have a system. My husband plows a path around our pasture, so this will be my playground for this, for now anyway.

I am also working on plans for a skid sled, or stoneboat, for my mares. I have been ground driving them as a team, with just their heads hooked and long lines on either side (it's primitive, I know, but it's working) and driving them around the property. I eventually want to drive them as a team, so this little "exercise" in team work is something I hope to do all winter. With the stoneboat I hope to haul firewood to the house, give my daughter rides, and just get them some exercise. Maybe even haul some snow around to clear the end of driveway or something. Winter calls for creativity.

For fun for the girls, I save crab apples off our tree that we don't use and store in the back of the barn. Just for something for them to do, I toss a few into the snow around the pasture and they love going to look for them. Kinda have to teach them at first, but then they see me throwing and they go right after them. Takes them a long time to dig up the treasure!! Just some enrichment.....

Katie

I am definitely with Jane and Sandee on this one!!! Maybe the horses don't need a break, but I do. I also love snow, so I will ski in the pasture with them or hook one to the sled, but serious work takes a vacation for a couple of months anyway. It is funny because for years I boarded at indoors and rode (dressage) ALL WINTER, but with the minis I don't see them backsliding with a few months off!

I am still working the new mare Dancer on ground driving, jumping and obstacles, and will work her as much as possible, weather permitting. Probably winter will be a good time to work on her pivot and sidepass, which can be done almost anywhere. As said, whatever you do with them is TRAINING. Yep, will likely be ground driving her down the driveway if that is the only snow-free area. And we did get a snowblower to clear a training area if we need to. But will enjoy some time off.

I was thinking that the winter was going to be a lot of basic commands reinforced on a lead and stuff like that. Sounds like most people tend to go that way. Just some walks and basics. We have access to an indoor arena but I was worried about getting the horses too hot since I don't have them in a heated barn and I didn't want them to get all sweaty. Too cold for that. I would like to start working on obstacles and jumping in the spring so maybe some reading up would be good training for me this winter
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back