Winter Grooming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use the air compressor in the winter to blow Billy's coat out, as just brushing doesn't get down deep in the thick coat. Helps to blow the mane and tail, and around the fetlocks to keep any eye out for anything unhealthy. The first time or two he kept moving away from the compressor, but now he just stands calmly. Maybe he enjoys that air blast on him.
I trim chin and beard--do not find a bearded horse to be attractive.
Then we went out for a drive!

Attachments

• november billy2.jpg
    november billy2.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 0
I use a small shop vac. I'd like to get something a little stronger someday. My guys love to be vacuumed. One will tolerate the blower and the other two dislike it. I don't like the winter beads either and usually trim them with scissors to even them out and tidy things up.

I use the air compressor in the winter to blow Billy's coat out, as just brushing doesn't get down deep in the thick coat. Helps to blow the mane and tail, and around the fetlocks to keep any eye out for anything unhealthy. The first time or two he kept moving away from the compressor, but now he just stands calmly. Maybe he enjoys that air blast on him.
He is a handsome boy!
An air compressor, I would never of thought of that. gives me something to think about.

I use the vacuum on all my guys, including the foal. I hear the compressor works better, but I don't want to breathe in all that dust and I don't think the horses do either. I tend to keep them trimmed around their ankles too. Not too short, I want them protected from ice, but not so long they are likely to get any sort of fungal yuckies.

I use a shop blower by Ryobi. I love the portability of it!

Latest posts

Back