Windy Hill ~Izzie **Colt pics pg 36**

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the compliments everyone! We are having so much fun with little Rocket...I just wish that Izz would let me near him! I guess it is a good thing. Maybe this way I wont get too attached. If he would have been a filly we would have considered keeping, but don't need another related stallion. I actually want a colt from duchess...watch her give me a filly!

I love the video!! :D Thank you so much for sharing!

How long do you all usually keep new foals seperate from the rest of the herd? Izzie and my newest mare Magic havent actually "met" yet (just accross the fence) So I think that when I turn them out I will put Izz, Rocket, and Pippa in the mare pasture. Magic and Duchess together in the middle pasture (they came from the same farm) and my poor Ferrari all by himself still in the bottom pasture. That will work out well because they never saw Magic come back into season after she foaled in July...they put her right back out with the rest of the herd so I have been assuming that she probably bred during her foal heat. This way she shares a fence with Ferrari so I can keep an eye on them to be sure.But back to the original question how long should I wait to move Rocket and Izz??? I hate that he was born when it is so cold...makes it harder! I think that I will wait untill at least april to breed Izz back!

Last edited by a moderator:
He is just so precious! Plus I have a thing for bays
default_smile.png

I kind of think (and hope) those beautiful eyes stay blue
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif

Rocket today. I sat in the pasture with them for a while today. Rocket is very curious and tries to approach me, but Izzie always turns him away. I hope she mellows out soon! I tried to get some pics of his eyes...but he was in a VERY playful mood and it was hard! He does have alot of white around his eyes...but I dont know if you would consider it sclera. Alot more than Izz has tho.

ETA: If you double click the second pic of him running to enlarge it you can see what I mean about the white around his eyes...what do ya'll think? Diane???

PICT0047.JPG

PICT0050.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0058.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You certainly have a gorgeous little boy there Jess, Izzy has done you proud!! Like Diane, we dont usually put a mare with a new foal back with the 'herd' of ladies. We either graze in hand for a few days or turn them out alone during the day in a small very grassy paddock. They will then join mares who also have foals, we dont put them with other mares. Or if the mare is the first to foal, she will occupy the 'mare and foal' field alone until she is then joined by others once they too foal.

Also if it is still cold winter weather where you are, I would be wanting him to be stalled at nights until the warmth of Springtime - if you put Izzy back with her other friends, will you be able to catch her to bring her back in each evening (given her present attitude!)? Or perhaps she will come happily for her food?

The small paddock/stall where she is now has a gate that opens into the mare pasture. I think that I may put the other ladies in the middle pasture for a while tomorrow and let Izz and Rocket out into the mare pasture to stretch their legs for a bit. The last two days it hasnt rained so I let her out into the small paddock adjoining her stall and she has come back into the stall in the afternoon to eat with no problems. I definitely want to continue to stall them at night for a while until it warms up! The mare pasture has a barn with two stalls in it, but I think that I will just keep things the way they are for a week or so. Do you think that it would be ok to leave my yearling filly with Izz and Rocket when I do move them over? She is the lowest in the pecking order and Duchess and Magic bully her.

I know yall are getting tired of pics...put just had to share a few more! I moved the other girls down to the middle pasture and let Izz and Rocket out into the big mare pasture this morning...he was really having a good time!

ps. its crazy to me how close the road looks in these pics...we are on top of a hill and there is another pasture plus a huge hay field in the valley between us and the road!

PICT0009.JPG

PICT0002.JPG

1PICT0018.JPG

PICT0037.JPG

Awww hes just so cute, i read what Megan (Sorry if i got the name wrong) wrote about blue eyes and went and took a closer look at Koora other eye (which was blue grey when born) and i think that it is actually a very dark blue. I hope your little man keeps his blue eyes
default_smile.png

hahaha I just watched the video and wow he is on the goooo !!!!!!!.. and yes isnt mummy a little bit protective haha... chasing him around everywhere...very cute ..
default_smile.png

I have let Izz and Rocket out into the big pasture by themselves a couple of times now and they always come right back in to the smaller lot at feeding time with no problem. I think with the nights still being chilly we may continue this for a while...we won't need the small lot for Duchess for a bit anyway. Izz still wont let me near him...wich is driving me crazy! I have been wanting to measure him but no luck. This morning I waited till he was standing next to Izz and noted the spot on her leg that he came to then measured to there on Izzie's leg...not exact, but according to that he should be approx. 34"...Izz is "R" only at a little over 35" so that is probably about right. That is also about the size that her last foal was as a 2yr old. Rocket is a leggy little thing and we are having the best time watching him! He was running and turning and bucking so much on sunday that he wiped out...he immediately jumped up and looked around like "nobody saw that right?"...lol.

Rocket is 11days old now. I put him and Izzie out in the big pasture today, but I left my coming 2yr old filly with them. Izzie didnt seem to mind and Rocket has been playing with her some. Get ready for picture overload!

PICT0107.JPG

PICT0115.JPG

PICT0133.JPG

PICT0140.JPG

PICT0147.JPG

PICT0156.JPG

Latest posts

Back