WINDSTORM !!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
Boy oh boy, did I receive a wake-up call Tuesday morning!

I've been spending a day or two each week "mom-sitting," helping my mother recover from a broken shoulder and giving my sister a break from eldercare. Tuesday morning, the phone rang at around 8am...it was Keith telling me that a fir tree had fallen on our house.

He had gotten up at 4am to feed the animals before work. When he took the horses' buckets and hay to them, he saw in the flashlight beam that their run-in shelter had been knocked apart in the wind (which hadn't seemed all that strong). He walked the fenceline and saw that our vegetable bed (now dormant) was buried beneath an alder tree that missed the fence by a foot.

He turned back toward the house and nearly fainted. In the sketchy light of the flashlight, he could see a 50 foot (more or less) Douglas Fir tree that had fallen across the lawn with the top 10 feet or so lying on the roof. Panicked, he ran to get a closer look. The roof had no damage other than a very bent rain gutter.

Later, by daylight, he saw that it was not one tree, but TWO. The second one was even bigger a had taken out the other tree on its way down. It appeared that the branches (and probably the smaller tree) had broken the fall and were still taking a great deal of the weight. Somehow, when when these trees fell they narrowly missed our beautiful Japanese lantern, my beloved, crusty old birdbath, assorted garden art and the antenna on the roof.

Keith slept through it all.

I didn't get home until after dark, so I could see little until this morning -- quite a stunning sight. All I can say is we are unbelievably LUCKY.

This is really terrifying when you consider our "tin cabin" -- an ncient mobile home with a lodgepole pine overhead roof. I'm amazed at just how strong this structure is. I had to laugh at how much we had worried about the snowload a couple of winters back!

We live in an area with extreme terrain -- high hills jut up directly from the valley floor, and steep, deep ravines create quite a jagged topography. We are on the east side of a ridge at about 700 ft bove the Columbia River and sea level. Strangely, this terrain has sheltered us from almost all thunderstorms and wind storms, but the rare ones that find us are quite severe.

So now I'm making phone calls, looking for someone to remove these monsters, and thanking our lucky stars that nobody was hurt. The horses will need to turn to the fir trees next to the corral for shelter until we can rebuild their run-in, but everyone is safe and sound. It's just the humans that are a bit rattled!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you guys were safe! How scary with two trees on the house!! Goodness..men seem to be able to sleep through anything. Hopefully said trees are now off your roof. Will you be able to fix the run in shelter?

Wind was crazy strong up here too. Didn't sleep much that night, the wind felt like a freight train slamming against the house.

Had to fix one of the sheds the next day.. everything was tossed around, including those very heavy metal chairs,, which in itself was impressive... 1 and 2" branches stuck through some of the fencing. Knock on wood...no trees down around the house. Still need to check the fencing in the woodlands, but that can wait until the winds die down some.

Hopefully the other NW folks came through this ok!

AAAAAAAA!!! Susanne! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

I am so glad everyone is okay! My god, how scary. I hope you get pictures of the trees before they are removed- that's one for the scrapbooks.

We were fine here, didn't even notice the wind until the power went out without warning and then when we looked outside we were shocked by how fast the clouds were skating over the moon above the violently waving trees. The wind seemed confined mostly to the upper atmosphere, it didn't shake much out of the trees but pine needles which is unusual for the first major windstorm of winter.

Leia

Sounds like "we" (in the Northwest) are destined to be hammered with some WIND.

So far two gusty ones have gone through and I think we've all been lucky (I think?)

So.......which do we want? These nasty winds with moderate temps? Or no wind but the horrible cold. Have a feeling we're being given a choice?

Oh Gosh, Susanne! That's a little close for comfort yet a good sign that

Keith was able to sleep thru it.

Last Friday I was sitting on a bucket, outside the barn, soaking up sunshine

talking to my sister on the phone.

What a difference a few days makes in the weather in the Pacific NW.

I agree with Shari .... that wind sounded like a freight train passing outside

the doors.

Here, we sustained little damage which was surprising as we, too, are surrounded

by huge trees.

Up at the house in Pierce County, a maple tree fell but only hit the gutters, doing

little damage.

In the wind storm a couple weeks ago, a gust picked up our glass top picnic table and

threw it about 4 feet from where it was sitting. Glass shattered all over the patio

and is still resisting being vacuumed by a powerful shop vac.

I hate it when the weather guys are right and it's sure looking like this is going

to be the awful winter they've been forcasting since last summer.

To that I add, I hope your mother is doing well from her shoulder injury and you find

someone that is looking for some nice firewood. Take care!

Keith's new theme song is "If a Tree Falls on the Rooftop, Does Anybody Hear It?" (Apologies to songwriter Bruce Cockburn)

All is well now at Woodwinds. We found a GREAT tree service to remove and cut up the two fallen trees, take down another huge fir that was compromised by the other two, and fell a huge dead alder in the corral. Keith and I had to take down a section of fence for taking down the alder, plus we rebuilt the shelter for the horses -- so we're ready for any bad weather to come.

As it turns out that the trees did hit my moss-encrusted bird bath, but perhaps it can become some other sort of garden ornament...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! I somehow think that Mother Nature is trying to give you a little push in the process of getting out of the "Tin Cabin"... but she doesn't understand that it has to last one more winter for you guys!!!
default_smile.png

Daryl

Holy cow! You were so lucky! If a tree fell on this house, it would be inside this house!

Actually I always wanted a 50 foot Christmas tree and that would be one way of getting it in here!
default_wacko.png

Glad you were all left unscathed. Could have been a much more major disaster.

Very glad you got the tree's off the roof safely! Keith as a good sense of humor.

Oh Susanne and Keith!! I am so glad you're OK, along with everyone else but maybe not your special birdbath! So scary!

Daryl got me thinking, though...a few years back, it seems, we were looking at a modular cabin design kind of thing with you. Are you moving ahead with some other living arrangements on this property so you can get out of the tin cabin? Your location sounds so lovely and remote and peaceful. I hope you are able to stay there comfortably for a long time.
default_smile.png

Hope you didn't have to pay too much for the tree removal. Sounds like a big job!

~jayne

Are you moving ahead with some other living arrangements on this property so you can get out of the tin cabin?
Jayne,

We're planning our "home improvement" for next summer. This is one of our options -- it's a manufactured home, but looks and feels like a stick-built cabin.

This is how it appears on the lot:

golden%20West%20cabin.jpg

And a quick and dirty PhotoShop rendering (NOT a good example of my work) of how it would look on our property with the addition of steps across the front porch and a faux stone covering around the foundation:

golden%20West%20cabin%20adj.jpg

We would prefer a modular, as that would build equity, but this home is so inexpensive that it makes sense.

Oh Susanne! That will be wonderful! Mobile homes are made really well now and you will feel like you're in a mansion after the tiny tin cabin. I love your expansive porch and steps, too! We have a new mobile from 2006 and it is so tight and energy efficient. Truly, the worst electric bill we've ever had, even with the barn, shop, well pump and all-electric house was $120 in the throes of a very cold winter 2 years ago. You will LOVE your house! I hope I get to see it some time.

Jayne

Back