Wildblue satellite internet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
I hear it is much better than the directv version (which we can't get due to the trees)...supposedly the trees are not as big of an issue as with directv satellite internet. I looked it up, they are not servicing my area yet, but says they will be soon. Kinda expensive - $500 for the equipment/installation and $50/month for the value package (not sure what difference in the packages is). I am so sick of dialup I could spit.

Does anyone have it? What can you tell me about it?

Thanks in advance.

We've had Wild Blue for our internet service for a couple of years now.

We are very happy with it, and yes, it is MUCH faster than dial up. Most Wild Blue users are in rural areas but even though we are only 20 minutes west of Minneapolis we can't get cable television or DSL so we looked into it and decided to give it a try. The installation price you are being offered seems pretty high though. One thing is, we started with the value package and upgraded to the next level a day later and it made a big difference in connection speed. I think we pay around $75 a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to have it. it was much better than dial up (we were unable to get anything else in this area as well). The problem was that It had a lot of problems with rain fade and stuff on stormy days. It did have a small delay. DSL has since come into the area and DSL is much better if your able to get it but wild blue was definatly better than dial up if that's your only option.

I have had Wildblue now for almost a year. Compared to dialup, well there is no comparison. I work at home on my computer and need the fastest I can get. The few times the satellite is blocked it straightens right out. I think the longest I have been down is about an hour, if that.

The equipment can be pricey, but it is yours to take with you or do whatever with. Check with whoever you are going to get to install it and find out what specials they have and going to have in the future.

Hope this helps.

We had Direcway/Hughes for several years. The customer service was AWFUL. Not only could I barely understand many of the techs, I always had to go through the same hoops when I knew what was wrong with my system. It would take hours to troubleshoot something I knew was going to be a service call. Then it was several weeks until someone could come repair the moisture-damaged equipment.

At one point, they had me wait so long for service that my warranty ran out, forcing me to purchase new equipment when it should have been covered (we are talking 14 months worth of runaround, my warranty expired two months before they finally decided I needed a new dish, when it was the SAME problem all along).

I decided that I would not buy more equipment from them, I would switch. I went to Wild Blue/Dish Network on a special: $199.99 for the equipment with a one-year commitment to the service at $59.99 a month for the "middle" range speed package. We could bump it up one and it IS somewhat slow, but nowhere near as slow as dialup, which is my only other option out here.

The one thing I would caution is not to bother using the Wild Blue/Dish Network web-based mail. It has frequent outages, and they often last for days where you cannot access your email. I got a gmail account to make up for the dishmail.net outages. I have called about that, and all they tell me is that they are upgrading the system. That part of it plain ol' stinks.

Keep your eye out for the deal, though, they seem to offer it right after they arrive in town as ours did, in order to woo Hughes' customers away, and in my case, they didn't have to do much more than show up.

Liz

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I can get it in my area I've discovered, there just aren't any installers. Which is fine, it's just a dish and a modem...Hubby can do that, he has put our directv up a couple times when we moved and we didn't want to wait on them. the equipment is only $275 now that we won't be paying installation. The high package (runs the fastest) is $79/month...which I think is alot, but we don't have any options like cable/dsl/or speednet...so I'm going to go for it!

Thanks again.

Hi Sonya,

I have had it for about 8 months now, and got the $79.00 pkg....and it is well worth it not to be aggravated with dial-up !!!!!! LOL

You will love it !!

Sue
default_smile.png

oh, and I don't use their e-mail either....I use Yahoo.

Latest posts

Back