Much Advice Needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Mare

Reaction score
Some of you may remember my other post about opening a grooming salon with a friend of mine.. Well, we opened about a month late and things aren't exactly what I expected, maybe I am the harsh one here.

My name isn't on the lease nor do I have an obligation contract to my business partner - we were (are?) going to get one.. Dollar wise I've matched her 50/50 expense wise, Labor and physically being there during construction and set up it's about 75/25 - she was never available to be there, had an excuse, assume I could do it, etc.

I started losing confidence when I realized physically she wasn't putting in her time.. Then we were set back opening almost a month late because she didnt do her homework regarding the permits. I was the one to finally step in when enough was enough..

I gave my previous job 30 days notice and due to not opening on time had to go to HR and ask to keep my job.. Not to mention rearranging a ton of appointments I had booked.. Oh, it was a mess in all the shuffle.

Now we are open. Not many (0-4 dogs) some days. She has no motivation to advertise. She thinks business is going to fall into her lap.. Knocks every idea I have to promote business. Starts projects, never finishes.. She's scattered..

Simple things like folding laundry, refilling shampoo bottles, etc. she doesn't look out for the person behind her so to speak.

She belittles me (I think) in front of my customers - I realize it isn't MY salon, it's OUR salon and she is rude and quick to tell my customers her name is on the lease.

She holds me to high standards and says I am the best groomer in the tri-county area, etc. She IS a nice person, but I feel like its a matter of time before I flip..

She ordered equipment she wanted. She only does small dogs. I do any and all, tub and tables will not hold large dogs safely. Her reply "it's fine".

Soooo... My district manager from my previous employer is begging me to come back. That place was wonderful and my only mild issue was the general manager, never personal just work ethic.

NOW, they fired that store manager and my fiancé, Ashley got the manager position. My district manager who like I said really wants me bac decided to take it upon herself to get approval of us working together.

My decision is stick it out with Stacy at new salon who lacks motivation, manners and unknown business or go back to Pet Valu where I have an established place, people who love me, Etc.

HOW would I even open a salon with someone and back down.. I've tried talking to her before and her attitude is just snappy because she is always right.

Added:

I've contacted every customer I have, many made appointments, many were just groomed and many aren't ready to be groomed. Stacy's reply to me "well where are your customers".. FYI she hasn't called a single one of hers. Just the attitude she has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough situation for you.Sounds like this business is headed downhill fast due to your partner.You have to decide how much you can afford to lose based on what you have already invested.Since your name is not on the lease and she is acting like it is HER business try talking to her about what needs to be done to get things going and right.If she won't talk-maybe you should walk.A business partner who won't discuss issues and problems is not much of a partner.From what I remember from previous posts she had a mobile grooming business and was her own boss.Maybe she just does not know how to work with others.Whatever decision you make has to be what is in your best interest.

That's why I am torn. This was a friend I trusted and had known for years. Orginally we met at Petco we both were salon managers for different stores so she should know how to work for others.. Then she started her own mobile business..

I've tried expressing my concern about business and her reply (aside from snappy comments like call my customers) were that we will pick up, which is kinda true but you need to advertise. Every event or advertising tactic I express gets shot down.. The weekend we opened and could've had an event she decided to take off (I worked). She rather run an ad in a local free paper for $100 for a week rather than spend $175 on a popular southern maryland online site for a month. Just dumb decisions and lack of motivation.

At my previous job (Pet Valu) I am a contracted groomer, my own boss in a sense, always foot traffic for new clients, established location & clients. Staff is wonderful..

So the decision is wait and see if I can tolerate working with Stacy (and hope there is business for both of us) and by staying I risk the my previous position being filled at Pet Valu or dart off now and get my job back.

I never expected this and I feel horrible.

Go with your heart, you already know what to do. Business partners are a marriage of sorts and sometimes (most time) you really don't know somebody well until you are in a situation where you are spending huge amounts of time together.

Don't feel guilty, you are honest and sweet and you have tolerated much more than many folks would have done. Go with your heart.

Write down a piece of paper the pluses and on the other side list the minuses. Write down what makes you happy and go with your heart.

I remember that movie "the notebook" when Noah said... "what do you want", it doesn't matter what anybody else wants, what do you want?" Even if somebody gets hurt, you really need to go with what you want. It is your life and you deserve to be happy in what you do. take care and best wishes. you are awesome, you can do it.

Cut your losses and go back. The business is going down hill and if you go now you have a job, which might not be there later.

If you stay and your reputation falters because of her business choices, that word of mouth may end up following you. As you said, there will always be foot traffic and walk ins at a chain, people that need the occasional trim or holiday fix up on their pooch, then the regulars too. That a lot of clientele to try to muster up at a private business if she is not willing to put money out for ads and such.

Thank you all, I appreciate it all.

I've been trying to do a lot of searching for answers.

My gut is telling me to go back to Pet Valu before the opportunity is gone.. But I feel like a horrible person letting Stacy down - even though I feel like she is letting me down also. I know it's going to ruin a friendship if that choice is made. It is leaving a large financial burden on her. I can cut my losses on the money I invested, but she is stuck with rent & utilities..

~sigh

I'm real sorry to read this, I read and could feel how excited you were for this to work. Since y'all never drew up that business contract I'd grab my old job back before it's gone. Ordinary I would NOT recommend going to work for your fiance, or any relation at all for that matter, but I think I'd grab that job back before the position is filled. Good luck to you.

I would agree to not working for a relative. However, we worked together at Petco for years, started dating and that's the whole reason I got the boot and had to leave - managers couldn't date managers. However Pet Valu approves because being contracted I report I district manager not store manager.

Tough choice, but I plan to call my district manager today. You guys have helped a lot!

NOW on how to break the news to Stacy.. :-(

Sounds like you have already made up your mind, and I must agree it will be better for you. Maybe you could help your partner friend out a littlw by helping to find a replacement, maybe you could find someone willing to relocate. As for business being slow, it usually is when you first open, plus back to school usually slows things down, but always is a mad house come the holidays.

Doesn't sound like a partnership to me and if you are only getting 0-4 dogs a day she can easily do that on her own. If she doesn't want to listen she still considers it her business and no one else's. Advertising is huge. If she doesn't start doing something it's going to fail and you will be going with it. If I relied on the money made from the job I'd go with the one that you had previously. In today's world you can't risk taking a big chance on a business you already see going under.

I, too, believe your heart is leading you back to your old job. When I started to read your post I had several 'red flags' go up. Only your friend signed the lease (a legal binding paper)-so that leaves it HER lease, not YOURS. If she was concerned about any 'backing out' or whatever you want to call it, she should/would have had you sign too. (I get the impression that she wants to be the Boss and #1). I have found that working with (or co-owning things) with friends or family is harder than with just other people. ALWAYS PUT EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!! Especially with family and friends! I have learned that the hard way myself. Explain it is just in the best interests of everyone and so no one has any future confusion. You sound like you have a good business head on your shoulders. I do think your friend would do better to go back solo to her former mobile business. Don't feel guilty. It's your life too. You have do what's best for you, as the other's have said. Good luck, and take care!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all so much for your advice.

I decided to text her today - kind of a coward texting but I knew it wouldn't be a good sight of us in person. I explained the situation nicely, wasnt rude of vulgar and explained none of this was my intention.. Obviously I wouldn't have gone above and beyond and left a secure job for something I didn't think would work. I included in the text I am willing to discuss in person.. Anyways her reply was vulgar and rude.. She blamed me for not having enough business to pay the rent.. Guess she forgot this past week I had 20 dogs to her 2 (no lie).. I realize business takes time, etc I at least made attempts to contact my clients, she didnt. She also said she wants me to mail my key and doesn't plan to pay me the commission cut she owes me.. I match her dollar for dollar building that salon, I am not asking for that just my commission cut for the dogs I groomed.. Yep, you never know somebody..

Surprisingly, I don't feel so bad about the situation and can't wait to get back to my previous job!

Sounds like she just wanted to have you help her financially to get started in her salon and then cut you out in the long run anyway. Your experience although painful has taught you an important lesson. You are stronger than you think and it was the right thing to do and you are a better person for the experience. It is best to cut your losses early on so you are smart in that. I am glad you texted her. I would skip face to face. Why give her the chance to be even meaner and try to belittle you.

I never said it but I had a deja vu' about this when you were writing a long time ago and said that she wanted the business name to be the same as her portable grooming service "the dirty dog". I thought it was the start of "this is mine, not ours". I didn't want to say anything at that time, but remember writing that I thought the salon name should reflect you in some way, not just her old business.

Glad you are able to walk away, smile, and know that you are doing the right thing and glad you can go back to your old job too.

take care and best wishes.

Don't walk-RUN back to the old job and away from this person.Sounds like it would be nothing but trouble with the so called partnership.From your description sounds like lots of MAJOR immaturity on her part.Chalk the lack of commission recovery as a learning experience.

Sometimes business and friendships don't mix well. Sorry this may sound harsh but you have to make a living and you cannot afford to let anyone get you in debt. Did you ever hear that if you want something done right do it yourself? I'd run back to the old job on a heartbeat.

Boss Mare how about an update now that you are back at old location with a new title.Can't wait to hear how life is going for you.

Back