Satellite Internet users

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bess Kelly

Reaction score
OK, I live in an area that does NOT provide DSL (Verizon) or a cable hook-up. So, satellite is my choice. Yes, had a Verizon modem for wireless and it worked great until it died.....there's cost to replace OR sign up for another 2 yrs with yet 6 mos on the current plan. Biggest issue -- cannot increase beyond the 5gig limits they max you on. Overtime is expensive and with self & dtr no issue but, grdtr on kid games & cartoon video, get the picture?? Two devices would cost us about $150 mo with taxes. The satellite allows 12 gig & will cost $75 a month.

Now, since these are the options --- anyone with this service, please give me any input you have....I've been told heavy storms/rain causes outages (well, same with the wireless in a heavy storm). I live on E coast, about 60 miles in, so most of time weather is really good. Also told that if you are at/near your limits you get slowed down reception by Wild Blue -- OK, probably won't have that problem.

Anything I need to watch for, know, consider, safeguard from --- etc?

I actually do NOT live in a remote area, just one of those "spots" where I'm a mile or so too far from "whatever"....or in wrong county (1000 ft over line). There are three electric providers within a mile of me and 3 county/city services for trash, etc. Yep, I'm at "that" location.
default_wacko.png

I'm actually using my old AOL dial-up right now, what a shocker that experience is! That is soon to be dropped......once other is connected this week. Oh, library experience isn't always great, either. But, both have gotten us through the last week.

THANKS!!!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had Wildblue for about 4 years. Yes, at times the weather can cause problems and it doesn't have to be the weather in your area. The first time ours went out, the weather here (in Arkansas) was beautiful but there were storms in Syracuse, NY. Usually the outage is not very long and not often. Did have a problem about going over our usage but we think we had help. Changed some settings on our system and we normally are some where from 50 to 75% of our limits. We have 2 computers plus a laptop at times and my iPhone when I use it to check the weather etc at home. That way I don't use my AT&T data usage. :) We don't do a lot of video watching or download movies or music. We do download games from Big Fish. We have been very pleased with Wildblue for the time we have had it. You should see if any one in your area has it and find out from them how satisfied they are. I have a friend about twenty miles from here who tried it for 30 days, didn't like it and switched to Hughes.net.

I've had it for about 2 years and have just cancelled. It was ok...service does go down sporatically, but so does all internet providers. Downloading is quick, it's uploading that's slow, sometimes as slow as dial up...I don't know how it would do with gaming, never tried. I have verizon cell phone service and now have mobile hotspot, I can connect wirelessly through my cell at 3G speed and it is faster than the satellite....when you add a wireless router to the satellite, it does slow it down and they suggest you do not do it. If you have absolutely no other options, its not bad...but if you have cell service with a smartphone, check into a mobile hotspot.

I have Clearwire and have had it now for about 5 or 6 years. It could perform better but it works better than dial up.

Thanks, all.

It appears that I am somewhat limited being in the middle of a "no-mans" land of sorts. But, if it is a little faster than dial-up, I'm good! Now, how sad is that? I use the net to obtain my job schedules, report time, job completions and such, so not a biggie. Occassionally send some photos for same but, very small family and all local or not even net users so, think it will be just fine.

And, of course, no one would get paid if I wasn't able to get on line....checks???? what were they?
default_rolleyes.gif

As for net surfing, well the forum and a few other sites are about it! How sad is that, LOL? But, you know the sites, Jeffers, Ag Supply, etc.
default_biggrin.png
The extra broadband time if actually to be able to allow the grdtr to look at some kids games & cartoons.........so we can/do limit that.

MAYBE -- Verizon will get around to getting DSL at my house in the future. Maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had Wild Blue for over 3 years. It seems fine, a huge difference over our old, old dial up . (we live just outside the areas that have upgraded to DSL...like under a mile, and the phone lines are ancient) so our only option was satellite. We have DirecTV, and both it and Wild Blue are good. I asked several people in the area, or just drove around and looked at their dishes to see what they had.

We have the middle package and have never gone over the useage. No problem sending or getting photos. There are days when both my husband (on his desktop) and me on my laptop, ( wireless connection) seem to be online all day,(LOL) him playing on-line poker and me just browsing and playing FarmVille, and no slowdowns.

It has gone out when we get a heavy rain, but comes right back up.

I do shut it off every night when we go to bed. So it get re-booted every day. I do have friends not too far away ( 5 miles?)that have nothing but trouble with theirs, but they never shut it off. Don't know if it is their location/useage or that.

Good luck and happy FAST (compared to dialup...LOL) browsing !!

Sue

Sue, sounds like you live in the "almost there" area like me. Well, they were to be here this AM to install and called to advise the installer had an emergency and we had to reschedule for Thurs AM. I was so looking forward to getting it all set up and over with........but, as long as they are here Thurs I can be ok until then.

Just have to re-arrange my own work schedule now and that is not ok but, will have to be done.

My systems are all shut down at night, also. Faster will sure be nice!

I haven't been to the forum in quite a while, and today I decided to come and take a look. Boy am I glad I did because I swear I was going to post the exact same question you did. My husband and I just recently bought a house (May) and now that we're officially moved in and things are settling down, I'm beginning to get tv/phone/internet. Unfortunately though, we didn't know that the new house was also in an "unserviced area". I did sign up for dial-up through verizon and it's been a nightmare so far (it was supposed to be turned on today but when I called for tech support, they told me that the order never went through). I am not looking forward to having dial-up but I was scared to get satelite or mobile wireless. I was worried those would cost a fortune or there would be a lot of hidden fees. So, I can not thank you enough for posting about this! I don't get online much, just some facebooking (not games), and checking emails. Anyone have any idea what a good plan for me would be? Wildblue? Hughesnet? Wireless modem through phone company? I have a feeling dial-up won't last long! Lol

In my area the Wild Blue came via a call to Direct TV. They would provide net/tv for about 120 a month, 2 yr contract, provide install...$99 fee for net signup. Since I watch little TV and net was needed (see post above) I had them quote without other services. The pkgs were silver, gold, platinum for net. Silver had 7GB, slower speed @ $49.95, gold was one I chose @ $69.95 (73.90 w/tx) supposed to be faster & more time, platinum was @ 99.95 -- again, more time and somewhat faster.

Of course, all speeds are relative to your processor, so I was looking at time & acceptable cost. The gold came in at 2.5X our Verizon USB modem for use, with

almost identical costs. At this point we anticipate similar speed and know there is limited choice. It appears this will be as dependable, since the current one sometimes takes a time-out with towers full/out, etc .

Ahhhh, I so remember when internet was not even a consideration. Phones were party line, not hooked to your ear, and TV was only black & white.
default_biggrin.png

default_new_shocked.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wacko.png
default_yes.gif

Nothing goes smooth, right? Should have know from beginning that it was just rolling into place too well.

Tues was install date, usual 8-12. 7:45 get call, they have to reschedule. Things happen but, I had arranged my own work schedule to be there. Hmmmm. Thur now the day.

Monday I had just picked up my computer from the shop after having a new hard drive installed. The modem had also died but, I elected to not replace as the satellite was going in next day
default_rolleyes.gif
.... then it wasn't. I had scheduled a couple mystery shops for Tues afternoon, so proceeded with that.

The digital cam died mid use. WM close and another was purchased to complete. Well, get home and realize no modem! Quickly call repair shop, they have one, call daughter to pick up on way home. I install. It's late, so decide to transmit next day -- after all, I have programs to re-install!

Next day, I'm finally ready to upload pics, and install disc for the programming. It loads, need to log to web for it to install and I get a "update available and can't continue until it's loaded". Says it's only a few seconds -- yeah, right!! 2 hrs later, upload complete. Figure I ok now. Then hit install button and a snail would be faster!!!!!! So, sitting here I hear a "little" rumble of thunder, nothing much. Then a sudden and huge crack of lightening, followed by an equally huge "POP" from my computer.
default_new_shocked.gif
I use battery backup that is also surge protector but the phone line carried it right into the computer!!! All goes off. This is Wed and I need to get the reports/photos transmitted -- I need to get back to my real job -- I need to have a computer to hook to new satellite. Can we feel stress???????????
default_wacko.png
default_no.gif

Geeesh.........I convinced daughter to drive me to the larger WM to buy a computer (at this poiint, with my luck, I'm not driving, LOL). Couple hrs later I'm home with new unit, still no ability to go online, and the camera disc to load program is stuck in the old computer as the CD drive won't open. Thurs AM just seemed light years away.

As you can guess, Thurs did turn out to have the installers arrive -- it was raining lightly -- but, all went well and several hours later I have everything connected -- disc still in old unit!!! and owners manual is PDF on it -- GREAT!!!! new cam and can't use. But the satellite internet is up and working. It is about the same speed as the other modem from Verizon, maybe a little faster (hard to tell with granddtr online at same time with me, LOL--but, that multi user feature was one of the reasons we changed). It's somewhat frustrating to have to load all programs, pray I can salvage some data from other drives in old unit, get used to another op system (Windows 7) and all that goes with a crash.

I figure it cost about $1200 this week for technology. If they had ONLY BEEN HERE Tues morning, this wouldn't have happened?

On the flip side -- I just watched Jill's dancing bird and can say that it was such a pleasure to have it play right thru without any hesitation!
default_wub.png
Cute bird, faster processor and connection. Ahhhhh, where's that darned clip for the dressage mare from a few month's back??? Would LOVE to watch that now.......
default_saludando.gif

Oh Bess, I sure feel for you! I had SLOW dial-up for many years too. There was no other option. new towers were put up about 8 miles on both sides of us, but even with the 50' mast, we could not get a clear line of sight, so no high speed for me. Then along came Xplornet (satellite). It was more expensive for installation and equipment than I was willing to spend!($600-$800) The monthly fees were OK, as it was pretty close to what I paid monthly for my dial-up and separte phone line. A grant became available and I was able to save 75% of the instal/equip fees, so we went for it.

I have never been so DISGUSTED with any service in my life!!
no.gif
We went with the lowest package. We had to lock in for 3 years. Before we got it installed, we were told (and only after I asked) that it is similar to a satellite TV dish, so when it storms and since we have satellite tv, we know it is not too often...>WRONG!!! The service often goes down, and and is far touchier than the tv dish!! I absolutely HATE it!!!

Also, they fail to tell you about this "fair user agreement" before you sign up. They allow you only so many gigs of bandwidth a day, and once you reach that, they know you down to a VERY SLOW speed! So slow in fact, you might as well be standing still. I had no clue about this until I called due to it. It was then that this was disclosed to me!

I get soooo FRUSTRATED with this crap that I often wish I had never changed from my dial-up. Yes, it was slow, but at least it was consistent as well as dependable!!

I absolutely HATE this service and would never buy it again!!

Oh, Mona, I didn't need THAT input
default_laugh.png

Well, this is a "dish" and it's facing a satellite, they say. The experience today is very good and I hope it will stay that way. My "up front" expense got costly from the damage/dying. But it was also time to upgrade, just wasn't in the budget -- is now!

Sooooo, while I'm on the net last night trying to get a feel for where everything is now -- I kept my AOL on for another month to let me ease into the new look -- there's an article from a local paper that says a 10 million dollar grant has been provided some large company to install fiber optic lines to my area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's part of a $40 mil project in VA.

According to them, late 2011 I should be able to get that service
default_aktion033.gif
It's generally less expensive and fast and dependable. Just about the time my 2 yr with Wild Blue will be up -- how nice.

It is definately faster now!! Part of that is the new computer, I feel. Well, by 2011 I'll need another computer.

large company to install fiber optic lines to my area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's part of a $40 mil project in VA.

According to them, late 2011 I should be able to get that service
default_aktion033.gif

It is definately faster now!! Part of that is the new computer, I feel. Well, by 2011 I'll need another computer.
I've been on dial-up out in the boondocks for 8 years, not inthe budget for satellite. Anyway, the local telephone company has been upgrading to fiber optic the last 2-3 years, and this year its our turn; they've laid the fiber optic into our yard and much of the surrounding country, but it'll be end of Sept/first of Oct before its connected. I'll let you know how the fiber optic high speed is once I have it. [i already signed up for the basic package, and we'll see if that's enough for my useage, before I think about upgrading.]

Back