Wierd Teeth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Magic

Reaction score
Our first foal... (who knows what color) has a terrible underbite. He's just 5 weeks old. Anyone see anything wierd like that??? What do I do??? (Never gonna breed to that stallion again)... He's a bit young for the dentist, but is there any way it could straighten out as his head gets bigger? He's a month old... and he's tall.. gonna go 36 like his father... an "R" mini..

Thanks folks!

God Bless,

Lynn W

It seems to me, if a foal has a bad bite from birth, it doesn't usually correct itself.

I have seen bites that are perfect go off as they grow, and have had them go back to being correct. But I am only small time here, others may know better than me.

Does the foal's sire or dam have bad bites? I feel bad bites reproduce in babies and can even sometimes skip a generation and show up later.

I won't breed mares or stallions with bad bites. Just my opinion.

Of course, gelded, this won't stop him from being a great fun horse, he can jump, do trail/obstacle classes, and I believe after he is gelded,amhr shows don't look at bites. Have fun with him!

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago, the farm I was working for passed on a young 6 month old bucksin filly - she had an underbite. About a year later, that filly's farm had a huge sale - and we noted how lovely she was - but her bite was still off - strangely enough, not as bad as it had been. The woman who bought that filly got her for next to nothing. When the filly was 4, her elderly owner decided to retire and live with family. All her minis were for sale. The owner assured us that this filly's bite had "fixed itself" when she was around 2. We thought... yeeeeeah riiiight . So imagine our surprise when we went to the sale - made a beeline for that filly to check her - and her bite was now PERFECT. The owner had not had any dental work done to fix it... it just happened.

So yes - some bites can "fix themselves"....
default_yes.gif
: ... but it is a rare thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Two years ago we had a pony who gave birth to a beautifully marked pinto filly with a very, very bad underbite. Much to our surprise, it eventually straightened out into an absolutely PERFECT bite. I really feel that in her case, it was because she was such a huge baby that there maybe wasn't enough room inside mama and that it was the way she was positioned in there. Hopefully, that is the case with your foal.

We just gelded our Buckskin A stallion cause of his bad teeth, His never corrected any. And his only filly has his bad bite so she wont be bred either.

I would not blame it on the stud. There is no telling where it came from- could have been from either parent, or neither. The same cross may result in a perfect foal- you never know.

I would certainly have an equine dentist take a look, but there is not much you can do at this age right now. They can at least tell you what dental care will be needed in the future though. Many times ridges are formed and hooks in the backas the teeth wear, which make it even worse.....

I have seen a few straighten out or get better, but surely not often. Time will tell but just make sure you keep an eye on them so there are no other health issues. Had a filly a few years ago whose bite went off and the dentist had told me they could come back on - or not- he was not sure with her.

Latest posts

Back