why. why.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I could not find it addressed in the rule book but this is copied and pasted from the amhr registration form

BREEDER (Person owning Dam at time of service)

So its not who owns the mare when she foals but who owns the mare when she is bred. So I guess my papers are a mistake. Like Becky I would like to have mine corrected as I never want to take credit for a foal I didnt plan the breeding on. I really have to pay more attention when I get papers back. Now Im going to check the rest I have registered recently
default_smile.png

Well, I'll be darned. Just went and checked a couple of registration certs.

A bred mare I bought and hardshipped R has the breeder correct.

The resulting foal has ME as the breeder. I would really like to claim to have planned this nice filly, but I didn't. Why would I be listed as the breeder? I didn't even own the mare at the time she was bred, didn't sign the stallion report or breeder's certificate.

I'm suspecting there is some confusion going on at the office and I bet it gets straightened out, but it sounds like there are a bunch of incorrect papers floating around out there.

Charlotte

p.s. I better do like Kaykay and pay more attention to papers that come back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the idea of a seller filling out paperwork, taking pics and handling for the buyer
I have gone so far as taking the pictures, filling out the paperwork using my membership number to transfer the horse...AND giving the buyer the cash in US funds, with which to transfer the horse into their name. I did everything but buy the money order and send it in...only to have someone else call me two years later because they bought the gelding and he had never been transferred.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
Can you say ticked...

I also sold a mare to a good friend of mine, and four years later when I traded a filly for her to get her back...I didn't have to transfer her back to my name, as she had never been transferred out of it.
default_rolleyes.gif

Mine are all done right as far as who is the breeder and who is the original owner on the papers--that's something I always check.

The original owner is the one responsible for registering the foal, so that is the person that must have the membership in order to get that foal registered.

That's not to say that there can't be other issues--relating to the breeder (or stallion owner if the breeder took the mare to an outside stallion to be bred)--that could prevent registration. If a stallion report was never filed...if the sire wasn't ever brough permanent and his papers are now expired...these are two things that could be a problem for someone that buys a bred mare, whether at an auction sale or in a private deal.

Let me come from a different angle.

I have a friend who was offered a miniature horse filly for free. She is a lovely, obviously well bred filly. The parents were registered. The horse was transferred to them through another person, so she never met the breeder/previous owner. They are a 4H family that has really gotten the show bug. 4H in Pennsylvania doesn't offer much for miniature horses, just showmanship and driving (halter for production) They would love to show and do all the fun performance classes, but the middle person will not give them information to contact the breeder. Because the paper work was not done initially, the new owner either must pay hardship fees for this filly or buy another registered horse to do what they want.

This filly could do all that they want....but the lack of that little piece of paper will not allow them to do it.

Think of possible future owners...even if you never PLAN to sell your horse, there may be a time that you have to make tough decisions, or your life changes directions.

10 years ago I sold a bred mare. Several years later I became the owner of the resulting filly (that *I* was breeder of) and it lists the mare's buyers as the filly's breeders. I bred her, she carries my farm name and I still own her. I sure wish I was listed as her breeder!
default_sad.png
So this once in a while mistake has been going on for years.

But then, 17 years ago we bought a bred mare and in AMHA I'm listed as the foal's breeder but I'm not his breeder. Mistakes happen!

I agree with you Becky! Credit should be where credit is due!

I wish they would be able to correct the info, for free.
default_smile.png

offered a miniature horse filly for free. She is a lovely, obviously well bred filly.
The horse was transferred to them through another person, so she never met the breeder/previous owner.
middle person will not give them information to contact the breeder
must pay hardship fees for this filly or buy another registered horse to do what they want...This filly could do all that they want....but the lack of that little piece of paper will not allow them to do it.
Okay, so is there no registration at all on this filly? What kind of "transfer" was done if there were no papers?

WHY was she free, if she has nothing wrong with her? Is it possible there was or is something wrong with her, and that is why the original owner didn't want her registered? Where was she from...a local breeder shouldn't be that difficult to find...surely someone knows where she MIGHT have come from...knocking on a few doors, or making a few phone calls might be all they need to do. Perhaps there was a reason, (such as not wanting her to be bred) that she wasn't registered...maybe if they agreed to sign a paper stating they will never breed her, the paperwork will appear easier to get from the original owner?

AND...surely, if all else fails, if she is really THAT nice a filly, and they like her, would she not be worth the hardship fee, considering they DID get her for free to begin with. Another filly will very likely cost more than the hardship fee, would it not?? You know what they say..."A bird in the hand"...

Latest posts

Back