why. why.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucker

Reaction score
I get so made at people who put an add in paper who say Reg minature horses for sale then when you go see them and find one you really like say ok I want this one ask about papers they have not been changed in there names owners name I ask are you going to transfer papers into your name so I can get papers into my name well I will but price gos up.grrrrrrrrrrr Im sick of dealing with people like this sorry had to vent.

I have to be honest - I have a horse that I bought back in 2006 and he is just now going to be transferred into my name 
default_rolleyes.gif
. However, I was 16 at the time and kept putting it off, and now I am going to have it done in December. Honestly though, if I were to sell any horse that I purchased and had not transferred the horse over into my name, I would LOWER the price and let others know before hand as well as provide all proper paperwork, including a hand written receipt that explains in detail about what happened so that the new owner has no issues. 

I recently purchased a mare whose 2nd owner (I'm the 3rd) had never transferred her over into her name and I am having to pay the extra $25.00 
default_wacko.png
. Doesn't really bother me though so long as it doesn't hinder him/her being able to be brought into my name. I understand that life happens and sometimes you just push it off and then need to sell the horse. 

Is guilty as charged. I have 3 horses I never transfered ownership. Its just not worth it for me. They are pretty much just pets and I don't do anything that would require papers. I have only one horse I transfered. I wanted to breed her so I transfered her. I have her fillies papers that I still need to send in. She turned a year in August. I just don't have the spare change right now. I'm laid off and every penny counts.

I just happened to see this on the AHA site, but it applies to every breed of horse out there.

Sadly, unregistered horses lose their connection to the heritage of 'their' breed. Without ever being registered (or the paperwork kept up to date), there is no historical record of their bloodline, progeny, accomplishments, or even their existence. Horses without a registration number or certificate are also less valuable and desirable when being sold.
Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
I to have to vent about this. It makes me so angry when people never transfer their horses. As a breeder and for all of you who pay to get your foals reg. put up the money to have reg. papers and then people who buys these horses let the paper work go. It's rediculious!!!! Very sad.
default_no.gif
I have sold 5 horses this year and NOT one have been transfered. That is pretty darn sad!!!!!
default_no.gif

There are so many people out there that don't care about the reg. papers but want a reg. horse. What the heck is up with that!!!
default_unsure.png
This blows my mind as well.

Charlotte made an excellent post. Hats off you Charlotte!!!!

If for instance you don't show and you purchase a gelding.... and the paperwork transfer costs too much (IMO) and you have to take the photos etc... I can see where it can slip easily. I did the transfer on my boy but remember the hassle being more than I thought it should have been in cost and time. American Kennel club for dogs the transfer is easier and cheaper which tends to make more people comply. Some people want to own a registered mini so you have some history and background, but if in reality the horse is just going to be a pet and in the case of a gelding with no future breeding, ,,, well you know the rest... If my breeder had not helped me out along the way I probably would have been one of those that let the paperwork slip, I did wait quite some time as it was. The paperwork is a pain, should be made easier, forms, photos, proof of gelding...etc and it costs WAY too much money for somebody that is pinching pennies and would rather put the money into the care of the horses and really don't care about the paperwork. Getting the Journal in the mail really didn't make me feel better about all the money spent on the membership either.

Don't shoot me guys... Just my opinion.
default_new_shocked.gif
I think it is cool that breeders do care, just taking a spin the other direction in defence of those that really don't care once they are owners if they have papers in their name and want to save some $ and time,.

I have a friend who gave me a registered mare, but he never transfered the papers to his name and lost them. To get papers on this nice little mare I had to contact the breeder. Luckily it was easy, but if I had not pursued her papers, her value would have been cut in half. I plan on raising minis and will include the transfer fee when I sell them, if I do it they wont lose there linage.

this is my take on the whole registration/paperwork thing........even if you have a pet gelding or pet mare, you may not be able to own that horse his entire life. Is there a chance he might get a better life when sold if he has current registration and isn't just a 'grade' horse? I am aware of several minis showing (pet mares) right now who might have come to a bad end if they hadn't had the paperwork behind them to give them some added value.

bottom line for me.......I love horses. Part of 'caring for' my horses is to assure that if I sell them they have the best chance I can give them at a good new home.

Charlotte

I agree with Charlotte on this. Registration papers are a horses' heritage and to deny that horse it's right to it's paperwork decreases the chance that it will have a good life throughout it's lifetime. Why buy registered horses if the registration papers don't mean anything to you? There are plenty of grade horses out there.

The cost to transfer ownership is minimal. With the advent of digital pictures being accepted by the registries, there no longer is the cost to purchase film and have it processed. I can take and print pictures right here at home and if I don't get them right the first time, I can run back out and take some more. $15 is minimal IMO to have registered horses in my name.

I think many forget that a lot of big horse people could care less about registration. It does not mean much if one is not a breeder and there are many many show circuits of all different levels to compete in from Dressage to West Pleasure - eventing, endurance, hunter jumper - Pony club- where papers mean squat. That does not even include all the pleasure/trail horses.

Many of those who have been in large horses and are not thinking about the huge deal mini breeders feel the papers are may not transfer them and may not even realize it is any sort of issue at all.

Papers do not make a horse worth more money if you are not intendeding to breed. If I am looking for a hunter (large horse) I do not care if it is registered or not I care is it sound, can it move nice, does it jump cute, will it be a Eq horse or a HUS and trust me a good hunter will sell for 10-30,000 + with no papers no problem.

While I realize it is important to breeders that their horses paperwork remain with them I think we need to look at why some buyers simply do not even think about it. It might not always be due to sinister reasons or being uncaring horse owners.

Guilty as charged !! I have 2 that were my 1st 's I never transfered....they had had several owners all of which were never transfered. Next 2 I did transfer after about a yr. Just taking the pictures was a pain for me. They didnt like this one or that one.

My last 2 I do need to do and will do ..... just have to find the time to do photos.

Good Post Charlotte,

Everyone has their own views on it. But I'm not going to go out and buy a grade horse just becuase I don't feel like dealing with paperwork. I buy the horse becuase I like it. I do have one grade horse, and I believe she's costed more in the long run than my other horses. Perhaps if some sellers are so intent on having the papers transfered they should work it out with the buyer and file the paperwork themselves or include the transfer fees into the price of the horse. Just a thought.

Amen Charlotte! I just went through the amha studbook a couple of days ago & found quite a few not transferred out of my name. Some I can't trace, but there are a few I thought would surely transfer (ahem, you know who you are
default_poke.gif
) - bought with showing and/or breeding in mind. I have an email to send to those folks LOL, entitled hey slackers! I take the trouble to take pictures & double register my babies, I fill out transfers and have all those papers in order when I sell a horse, and sometimes even do the pictures before they leave. I try to make it as straightforward as possible.

Lisa, I understand your point about hunters etc not needing papers, but I come from big horses too and many do care. If you have a QH - or any other breed - it's helpful to know the pedigree even if you don't show. You might have an Impressive horse with hypp, or any of a number of genetic issues. Parentage also gives you a clue as to inherent talent, abilities, disposition in some cases, and I do believe it adds to value of a horse when you go to sell him. I wish the registries could do something to make it a little more checkbook friendly and encourage people to keep papers current, but we are probably
default_deadhorse2.gif

Jan

Papers do not make a horse worth more money if you are not intendeding to breed. If I am looking for a hunter (large horse) I do not care if it is registered or not I care is it sound, can it move nice, does it jump cute, will it be a Eq horse or a HUS and trust me a good hunter will sell for 10-30,000 + with no papers no problem.
I understand your point about horses who show in "performance" areas......not "breed" shows.

BUT.....

Papers aren't only important to those who want to breed. If you want to show in "Breed" shows, your horse MUST be registered. I recently traded one of my weanling fillies for a gorgeous Bay Leopard POA gelding. He was four years old when I got him, and I have no intentions on showing him myself...just for riding & my own pleasure. But I also realize that I may not own him forever....so yes, I most definitely transferred his paperwork into my name. AND...I will have him inspected next year (age 6) to get his "permanant" registration done. It's the least I can do for this boy, to keep his heritage, and keep his paperwork up to date. When, and if, I do ever decide to let him go.....he will be worth more, and will be much easier to sell with his paperwork intact.

Im not saying it is not important believe me many horses I have sold years ago are still in my name.

I do understand though why someone who bought a pet might not want to pay another 80 bucks to transfer a horse when they do not see or understand the need

I have totally slacked on paperwork.. I try and get it all together and send in paperwork once a year- we have a baby who we have not yet even named and I need to get his paperwork in by the end of the year along with 2 other transfers-

The easist one I ever did was a pony I got from a sale.. I paid them an extra 15 bucks for the transfer- they took pics sent in his papers and his transfer at the same exact time and I got his papers done (that is great for procrastators like me)

First time just got away from me life was happening and it was on the back burner-then I was waiting for Raven to get home after being gone all summer to get pics- then of course we had to get her ready for Nationals and well now.. the clock is ticking we have 1 more horse to finish pictures on and I have to get it all together and sent in. Merry Christmas to me
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to ask...what is considered a "grade horse"? Is it a horse that isn't registered, or a horse that isn't conformationally correct?
default_unsure.png

I have two minis that I got a little over 3 years ago. My gelding was an auction rescue, so of course, there were no papers. My mare came from a breeder, and I was given the paperwork to transfer her in my name but I have never gotten around to doing it (sorry Jennifer!). There are several factors why...the mare will never be bred or shown, I tried taking pictures but they just never turned out the way that registration requires, and the paperwork is confusing for me. Plus both horses have a forever home here (even if I'd have to get a second job working at the local McDonalds for extra money), and I could care less about paperwork. I didn't set out to find a registered horse and then never do the paperwork, I happened to contact the seller and she had exactly what I wanted, and she just happened to come with papers.
default_wub.png

What bothers me is people talk about the registration papers being a horses heritage, yet a lot of people revoke those papers anyway if a horse is non-breeding material or a dwarf. Why? Don't those papers still show the lineage regardless of the outcome? And whats the difference of revoking paperwork, or just never getting it transfered?

I have to ask...what is considered a "grade horse"? Is it a horse that isn't registered, or a horse that isn't conformationally correct?
default_unsure.png

I have two minis that I got a little over 3 years ago. My gelding was an auction rescue, so of course, there were no papers. My mare came from a breeder, and I was given the paperwork to transfer her in my name but I have never gotten around to doing it (sorry Jennifer!). There are several factors why...the mare will never be bred or shown, I tried taking pictures but they just never turned out the way that registration requires, and the paperwork is confusing for me. Plus both horses have a forever home here (even if I'd have to get a second job working at the local McDonalds for extra money), and I could care less about paperwork. I didn't set out to find a registered horse and then never do the paperwork, I happened to contact the seller and she had exactly what I wanted, and she just happened to come with papers.
default_wub.png

What bothers me is people talk about the registration papers being a horses heritage, yet a lot of people revoke those papers anyway if a horse is non-breeding material or a dwarf. Why? Don't those papers still show the lineage regardless of the outcome? And whats the difference of revoking paperwork, or just never getting it transfered?
IMO......a "grade" horse, is simply a horse who is unregistered.

I think the registries are doing a very good job of looking after the best interests of our breed. We can do our part by keeping the paperwork up to date. Recently I got an important paper from a registry on a horse I'd sold. The paper came to me, as he is still in my name with the registry.

I also bought a young horse recently and part of the monetary deal was that I would get him registered. It has turned out to be quite complicated, so I probably wouldn't do that again.

Until I became more involved, though, I didn't realize the importance of papers. Probably lots of people feel that way.

Of course, papers aren't as important as hay
default_biggrin.png
, but the cost of paperwork is just part of the expense of owning an animal, imo.

I've bought horses where the papers weren't transferred into their name. It was an easy process. They gave me the papers with the transfer worked filled in for them. Then they fill out a transfer paper for me. I sent it in with payment on both transfers (cost me like $45 is all) and got the papers back in my name. Not that big of deal IMO.

What makes me mad is if you put an add in paper saying reg miniatures for sale up to date on everything,Then you go look at them decide you want 1 you ask about papers they say oh I have not got the papers or there not up to date.Im wanting reg miniatures I breed and show .so to me its a lie in there add and waste of my time.sorry just want to answer to an add that is true in what they say ect.I dont like people to try and sucker me into a bad deal ect.

Latest posts

Back