Why do mares wait to foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speckles

Reaction score
Hi, we have had three days of torrential rain here in the South Island of New Zealand. Have been keeping a very close eye on my mares but none were too close to foaling. This morning, found a wee wet bundle sitting in front of his mummy, very cold and wet. Needless to say, rushed into survival mode. Baby bought into our warm bathroom, to be warmed up and now mum and baby living in the garage. Baby was not drinking to start with and quite weak, but now happy sharing a drink from mum and becoming full of life. Mum is a grullo pinto, dad is a leopard appy. Have not yet decided if foal is a pinto or pintalossa. He is a boy, name to be decided upon yet.

28182595_full.jpg

Sandra

Serenity Park Miniatures

New Zealand

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: Sandra!

Who cares what he is...he's beautiful and healthy!!! Congrats!!!

He is so cute. I hope his health continues to improve for you. He looks pinto right now but would like

to see another picture when he is fluffy and dry.

Congrats!

Freida

Thanks all, I just went to check on him again and he came walked over whinning to me. Such a great site. Have one more picture to send, him drinking. I cried when he started drinking. I had been feeding him for a couple of hours and thought i might be fighting a loosing battle.

28183439_full.jpg

and couldn't resist adding one of his rump, love that colour!

28183490_full.jpg

Sandra

Serenity Park

New Zealand

:aktion033: :aktion033: Congratulations on your beautiful new baby, I love his markings, like Karla said they look like wings :bgrin
default_wub.png
:

Yvonne

:aktion033: congrats!!!!!! he is soo cute! :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

How about,

Serenity Park's Blazing Angel

Many congratulations- do not know why but the name "Excalibur" is in my mind!!

Did you not know the "rules of the brood mare "??

1) NEVER foal on the due date.

2) NEVER foal when they are ready for you

3) Never foal at an acceptable (to them) hour.

4)If #3 means foaling in the pouring rain- so be it!!

I'm sure others can add more rules!!!

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions on names. I am thinking of calling him Serenity Park's Stormy Knight. His mum is called queen of hearts. He is all dried out now, and although it is still very cold, he had a bit of time outside today with his mum. He is going from strength to strength.

28235929_full.jpg

and another.

28235974_full.jpg

No more photos i promise.

Sandra

Serenity Park

New Zealand

Aww, don't stop posting pictures, that baby is DARLING!!! Congratulations
default_smile.png
default_wub.png
:

Looks like a pintaloosa (appy blanket on his rump) Congrats on your precious boy! What a cutie he is!

Wow, he's so CUTE!!

We had the bad weather thing this year. A tornado warning one night, severe thunderstorm warning another. We named the baby Storm Watch....

Lucy

Perfect names for both of them.

Lucy- have you had a foal and not posted pictures???

I like your name choice and yes, he is pintoloosa and what a cutie!! I see your kitty cats were also enjoying the dry garage, hahahaha Am JEALOUS of your greenery there (my sister lived in Hamilton for a couple of years)

Mares foal in bad weather by instinct. You will rarely find predators or much movement going on in the wild when it is stormy- they all try to find a hole to hide in.

default_wub.png
: AHHHHH !

Hi Sandra!

Thanks for sharing your experience and wonderfully darling photos! Makes you wonder if your mare timed it just right so she could share her joy with the family!
default_yes.gif
:

Since this part of the world is going into the fall/winter season, I'd sure love to see more photos as your Shining Knight grows.....he's so gorgeous!

Cindy

Latest posts

Back