Sick Mare and Foal - Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speckles

Reaction score
Hi all. A friend has a sick mare and foal here in New Zealand. We are wondering if any one has had a similar experience or any advice. The mare has a three month old foal at foot who has become sick. About a week ago the mare had a very enlarged udder, which reduced with 24 hours. The mare now has apparently issues with her milk. The mare is producing milk of a normal colour, but it has parts that are congealed when you milk her, little lumps so to speak. it is also quite squishy when you try and get milk out. this is affecting both sides of the udder. The udder is not hot or rock hard, and the mare shows no other symptoms herself, her temperature is normal.

The foal has now developed issues, is very lethargic, not eating or drinking. She has abnormal gut sounds and is just lying around. Her temperature is also normal but she is very unhappy. When walking she is dragging her back feet.

The vet has been called and foal is receiving treatment which is not yet helping. Vet is coming back in another hour.

We are thinking that whatever is affecting the mare's milk is affecting the baby and her gut. Has anyone had experience of a mare's milk congealing like that? Any help greatly appreciate.

Sandra

Serenity park

New Zealand

Sandra,

It sounds like milk fever (?) and the mare needs to be put on antibiotics. The vet should be familiar with it and be able to treat it.........and yes, it will affect the foal and probably will mean bottle feeding until the mare's infection clears up. It's important to get the foal OFF the mare ASAP during this time!

Be sure your friend gets her vet involved for this!

MA

Definitely needs a vet, sounds like mastitis or milk fever as MA said. Baby is'nt getting the necessary food.

We have had a mare with mastitis (after weaning) and the udder will not necessarily be hot or hard. It did resolve with antibiotics and massaging the udder gently to break up the lumps, but we did not have a foal to worry about with that one. Prayers mum and baby will both be ok.

I second the idea of mastitis..... the vet should do a check on the mares milk and I totally agree with pulling that baby off of the mare until she is clean.

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

I third the idea of masitis and pulling the foal. Call the vet ASAP! Better safe than sorry!

Call your vet ASAP/ this is mastitis I am sure.Had experience like this.baby will have to be fed something other than her mom's milk.Mare will have to be treated with antibiotics and may have to have meds inserted into the 2 holes in each nipple daily for several days.This job takes several people on a Mini since it is dificult to find those tiny holes while looking upside down at a mare who is hurting.Hot compresses on the udder.Ask your vet and get some help.Keep baby near mom, but don't let her nurse from mom.Baby may have to be fed every 2 hours day and night.Be sure baby stays hydrated.Good luck&keep us posted.Again check with your vet.

Yes,yes baby should do fine off of mama,if shes 3 months old if she has some teeth,I would get her highdrated good feed her some foal feed,My stallion lost his mom at 2 months and he was fed feed for foals hes now 2 years old.but Yes vet needs to nip it in the butt. Praying all gos well.

I second all that has been said and the advice.

Put the foal in a stall next to Mama and get it off the yucky gunk Mama is producing.

Mama needs aggressive antibiotics actually IN the udder, as you would with a cow.

Make no doubt about it, as it has gone on so long you could lose the mare if this is not treated quickly.

The foal will need help and, even at this age because of the circumstances, I would advise putting it in milk substitute fro at least a week- I always do with abrupt weanings especially if the foal is ill , as this one is.

Your freind needs help ASAP.

hi all, thanks for all your suggestions. My friend had already had the vet out the day before, and arrived the next day, after i posted this again to follow up. Seems she did have some sort of stacci infection leading to a form of mastitis. Mare and foal are both on serious meds, and foal is being fed fluids. Hopefully all will be ok.

Once again many thanks all.

Sandra

Serenity park Miniatures

New Zealand

Latest posts

Back