Santa came early and left me a little "care" package...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mona, you are an angel! Irish is just beautiful
default_wub.png
and I am praying for a happy ending!

Carol

She's absolutely lovely, bless your heart
default_wub.png
!

BTW, I woulda kicked my husband's BUTT if he woulda shooed off a dog looking like that - it woulda been World War III around here
default_smile.png
!!!

I have tears in my eyes! Thank God you have her! It's a miracle she found you when she did and came back. Thank you for being you and being her Angel!

She's beautiful!!!
default_wub.png
And so are you!
default_wub.png

{{{{Hugs}}}} for you and Irish!

Marty's suggestion of a foal blanket (or sweater) is a marvelous idea!!!

I think it's interesting that I just helped adopt out a very young blue tick hound at our shelter's adoption event at Petco last Saturday. The coon hounds are NOT a common breed. She was an awesome dog.......very calm and loving. I'd never been around a Coonhound before and she was my responsibility for the day. (And yes, she got adopted!)

BTW, I woulda kicked my husband's BUTT if he woulda shooed off a dog looking like that - it woulda been World War III around here
default_smile.png
!!!
Well, you can kick mine too then! I have also shooed MANY away! These dogs are most often like feral dogs. They are not fed, so have to hunt (sometimes by themselves, sometimes in small packs) to survive. They are fleas and lice from head to toe, are loaded, and I mean LOADED with engorged ticks in the summer, are all skinny and just left to multiply and fend for themselves...they say this is why there are no cats on the reserves, because the dogs end up killing them for food
default_no.gif
, and I believe it, because it's true, you rarely see a cat there. We have had problems with them running deer through our property and also going after my horses from time to time, and have even had to shoot some because of that. Believe me, these dogs are far better off dead! I cannot be bringing these dogs all home, and I surely don't want them hanging around here to pass disease/worms/fleas/lice/mange etc. onto my dogs, so no, I sure won't be upset with him chasing off dogs. Yes, I was VERY upset about this one after he told me the condition she was in, as I knew she was at death's door, but if he would have just told me there was a dog here, on the couch in the garage and he shooed it off, and ended the story there, I would not have tried helping it, and I would have been happy that he did shoo it along it's way. It was because he said she was in such poor condition, that he thought he would have been kinder to end her suffering than to shoo her away.

I have taken in many of these dogs that wander in here over the years....from pups to adults, and have gone to the expense of getting them healthy, treating them, and getting them fixed and then rehome them, but no, I surely cannot afford to do this on a regular basis, nor would I want to. There are just some "special" ones that come along, and they call to my heart enough to do something. So no, I am not an angel, and I do turn my back on so many, but that is just a part of life...I am not going to take from the health and welfare of my own dogs to help others that are poor candidates for adoption. You and others may feel it is "cold" of me, and think less of me and my husband for turning our backs on so many and shoo them along their way, but I go to sleep at night knowing I do help to save some, and those "some" are better than none.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Mona, you're the best! I'm so glad that you decided to take her in. She looks like she really needed someone to care for her, although adding more to the family can always be a bit stressful. All three of our dogs and two of our three cats have been strays that made their way into our hearts and home. I truly believe some of us wear invisible signs on our forehead that tells animals in need that we care.
default_wub.png

default_smile.png
!!!
Well, you can kick mine too then! I have also shooed MANY away! These dogs are most often like feral dogs. They are not fed, so have to hunt (sometimes by themselves, sometimes in small packs) to survive. They are fleas and lice from head to toe, are loaded, and I mean LOADED with engorged ticks in the summer, are all skinny and just left to multiply and fend for themselves...they say this is why there are no cats on the reserves, because the dogs end up killing them for food
default_no.gif
, and I believe it, because it's true, you rarely see a cat there. We have had problems with them running deer through our property and also going after my horses from time to time, and have even had to shoot some because of that. Believe me, these dogs are far better off dead! I cannot be bringing these dogs all home, and I surely don't want them hanging around here to pass disease/worms/fleas/lice/mange etc. onto my dogs, so no, I sure won't be upset with him chasing off dogs. Yes, I was VERY upset about this one after he told me the condition she was in, as I knew she was at death's door, but if he would have just told me there was a dog here, on the couch in the garage and he shooed it off, and ended the story there, I would not have tried helping it, and I would have been happy that he did shoo it along it's way. It was because he said she was in such poor condition, that he thought he would have been kinder to end her suffering than to shoo her away.

I have taken in many of these dogs that wander in here over the years....from pups to adults, and have gone to the expense of getting them healthy, treating them, and getting them fixed and then rehome them, but no, I surely cannot afford to do this on a regular basis, nor would I want to. There are just some "special" ones that come along, and they call to my heart enough to do something. So no, I am not an angel, and I do turn my back on so many, but that is just a part of life...I am not going to take from the health and welfare of my own dogs to help others that are poor candidates for adoption. You and others may feel it is "cold" of me, and think less of me and my husband for turning our backs on so many and shoo them along their way, but I go to sleep at night knowing I do help to save some, and those "some" are better than none.

Wow, didn't see that coming based on my comment, I really didn't mean to offend, but ok then.

Wow, didn't see that coming based on my comment, I really didn't mean to offend, but ok then.
Reijel's Mom, I am sorry. Whern I read your post, the "keyword" that I missed was LOOKING. I misinterpreted it to read that you would have kicked his butt for chasing a stray dog off...period. I missed the part about looking in that condition. And although I did not kick his butt for it, he knew I was disappointed that he did not tell me sooner! He knew he did her wrong in chasing her off in her condition, but that was after the fact, and then it was too late. Again, my apologies to you. I AM sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Mona - I don't begin to think that 1 person/family should try to take on all the strays in your area, actually I think that is probably how some folks become hoarders!

[SIZE=12pt]She's a beautiful dog and looks like she still has plently of life in her eyes.... Your vet needs to be commended for helping with some of the expenses as well. To often when they can, they don't. So kudos to both you and them.[/SIZE]

What a beautiful little girl and what a wonderful gift you have given her this Christmas!! Keep us posted on her progress,,,I hope she does well.

Awwwww. What a lucky girl to have found you, Mona
default_wub.png
I hope that all goes well for her from here on...That she gets over all of the infections and gets strong and happy and healthy. She couldn't be in better hands (((Hugs)))

Ok, I do not like hounds, but she is a beautiful dog and her coat is lovely. What a horribly sad story and I am glad you are helping her. Yes, just like Sammie the cat, she knew where to go for help and showed up for a reason!!

Poor thing, I could not have ignored her either- especially in winter when it is so cold. I can't imagine what she has been through and obviously belongs to someone, but I can tell you what list they are on with me for allowing her to get in this condition. That is just wrong!!

I hope she continues to improve. Without further problems I am sure she will bounce back, poor girl. Maybe she didnt know where to go if her pups died, for help. I truly feel she was sent to you Mona!!

Keep us posted how Irish is doing and post pics as she improves. That is just too sad- her eyes just killed me in your pics. She is begging for help.

default_wub.png
Bless you for helping this lovely girl. I get a lot of strays here and can't turn them away eather.

Jan

Aww, Mona, you have a good heart. Irish is lucky to have found you and just in time. You are doing a good thing. Thank you for taking care of her.

Robin

Latest posts

Back