Santa came early and left me a little "care" package...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
For the whole story, and because I am too tired and lazy to rewrite it all, I am just copy/pasting from email correspondence

This was from last night....

Just before supper tonight, Chris told me about a dog that came here and I wish he had've told me sooner! Now it's probably too late! It was a reserve dog I guess, and he and Randy (a friend of ours) had moved the couch and loveseat into the garage today so I could clean the carpet before the new furniture comes. Anyway, after they put the furniture in the garage, Chris left the garage door open as he had to go back in there to work. He (we) put up several thousand bags of frozen shiners (minnows) last month, and he had to package them by putting 100 baggies of them into a larger bag, just so they were easy to count as someone was buying 3000 baggies of them. Anyway, he was down there working when Randy showed up to help, so he left some bags of frozen minnows on the garage floor, up against the freezer. After they were done putting the furniture in there, they came in and had coffee. Then Randy left, and Chris went back down to finish up bagging the frozen bags of minnows. When he went down there, he said there was a reddish brown dog...kind of a "hunting hound" looking type with short hair. She was laying on the couch they had just put in there, and had eaten some of bags of frozen minnows. He told her to get down and he chased her off as we do to so many reserve dogs that come along, not really thinking more of it. He said she was skin and bones and tits hanging like it had recently had pups. He assumed likely all had since died, by judging by the condition of her. He never even mentioned anything to me until just before supper and then said he really shouldn't have chased her off, but should have shot her, as she is not going to make the night he didn't think, but he was not thinking clearly at the time as he was frustrated with what he was doing as things were not going as smoothly as he had planned. When he told me this, it was well after dark already, but I had him go down to see if she may have went into one of the portable garage shelters to maybe curl up and die in there. He said she had gone down the road, but he agreed to go and look anyway. Nothing there though. So after supper I brought down a big blanket, some dog food and water that I placed in a heated water bucket. I left all this in the garage, hoping she would maybe come back looking for more food (minnows). I put it all in the garage and left the door open, hoping she will come back, so I can at least TRY to help her, but Chris said he is certain she was VERY near death.
default_no.gif
I feel so sad...was in tears just thinking about that poor thing, as I KNOW she must have been very bad off for Chris to have even mentioned he should have shot her instead of shooing her away, as he HATES the thought of having to do anything like that. Keep your fingers crossed that she comes back!

This is all from this morning BEFORE I went to the vet with her...

I went out last night before I went to bed to see if she was back in the garage again, and she wasn't, BUT, something had been, as the food that I had left was mostly gone, but there was no sign of her, so I wasn't sure if it was her or a fox or what that had been eating the food. This morning, Chris had to go to Fort to take the car in, and he stopped at the garage, I am guessing to check for her. We have an intercom from there to the house, so I told him to lock the talk button into place so I could hear anything that goes on in there should that dog show up. He said something I didn't understand, and so I told him why I wanted him to do that. Then I thought he said he is not sure if she is alive or dead, but thinking dead. I said "WHAT? Is she there?" He siad yes, she was laying on the couch again, but when he touched her, she wouldn't move, so he thought she may have already very recently died, although she was not hard or frozen yet. I said I'll be right there and went running down. I shook her and she would not move, but we could see she was breathing! I told him to wrap her in that green wool blanket I had brought down the night before and carry her to the house for me, so we could at least warm her up and see if we can help her. He did, and then he had to go. She smelled SOOOOOOOOO bad, that I had no choice but to get her into the tub. I just used the hand help shower thing to bath her. She is so weak, she really doesn't stand. I got her all cleaned up, sprayed her for lice and fleas, and closed her in the bathroom. I am scared because of my puppies here! But I cannot not help her! She is burping a lot so I am concerned about that, not knowing if it is because she just ate the food and got something into her belly or if it is a twisted gut or maybe some disease. I called the vet, he suspects she was "on her way out" when we found her this morning, and he said the burping and belly full of gas is likely from her scavenging garbage wherever she could find it to try to stay alive. I gave her two Lopatol (dewormer pills) and some Nutrical. He said to feed and water in small amounts to build her up slowly and not over-indulge. He said I can give her Pepto Bismol 3 times a day, 1 tablespoon each time, so see if that will help settle her tummy/gas problem. He also suggested feeding her puppy food and/or canned food as it is easier to digest and more nutritional value. I have her locked in the bathroom right now, and I went in and she is sleeping, saw me, just layed there but wagged her tail. I gave her a bit of water, then I talked to her and patted her while there and she seemed to really enjoy the attention. I am scared to put her outside to go to the bathroom for fear she may take off. I think I will put her in a 30" tall 8 panel ex-pen I have for Monkey that I use for Chihauhua pups etc. throughout the years. I think she will be OK!! She is BEAUTIFUL! I have named her "Irish", in part due to her deep Irish red coloring and partly due to her "Luck of the Irish" for actually being alive yet this morning for us to help her!

OK, now this is all new, since I got back from the vet this afternoon...

She has scabs here and there all over her body, I am assuming from a bad case of fleas and/or lice, but I treated her for that first thing after her bath and trimmed her nails too. Then when I was back in there trying to comb out a bunch of gooey patches, I noticed what looked like a puss filled blister on the outside of one of her back tits. As I manouvered her around to get a better look, I saw puss just OOZING from a different spot, between her two back tits. I packed some toilet paper in there, and it soaked up a large amount of puss. I did it a couple more times, and decided then I better get her into the vet!

She has a bit of a cough, almost like she had a drink of water and it went down the wrong way, but doesn't cough hard or often. They considered Blasto, as it is common in this area, but they xrayed her and her lungs looked good...thank God! The puss, well that was oozing from a hole between her two back tits, and all I have to do for that is to soak it with hot compresses several times a day, then strip the milk from the teats...it (the milk) was coming out all yellow today, but is white tonight! UGH! What a mess! While she was laying on the examining table awaiting them to come get her for her xrays, I noticed goop running from her vagina too, so I told the gal I thought the doctor should come and see her again about that, as I feared maybe Pyometra. The vet thought not, but took swabs, and then later thought it could be, so she just said to monitor her closely to ensure she does not go off her food and water and become real lethargic, and watch for color and fever as well, and if anything like that happens, get her in ASAP! They wanted to spay her to get rid of that, but they felt the risk was too high that she would not make the sugery in the poor shape she is in, so it os booked for Jan. 6, and we hope she'll have a few added pounds and recouperated some by then. AND, they even told me the xrays today would be paid for by them, and they would also help some with the cost of the spay as they sometimes do that for rehoming of pets that are abandoned or whatever, so I was thrilled with that offer! Now I just hope and pray she will be OK. I think she will, as she is already alot more alert after just 12 hours. One thing I did notice, is that now that she's "thawed out", the puncture in her left hind quarter seems to be causing her some pain, so maybe they will have to reopen that and cut away something and reclose it, but I am guessing they cannot do that until she's spayed either. They did not even want to vaccinate her today because of her condition! She is one two kinds of meds now to fight the infections in her body.

She actually looks worse in person, as the flash kind of glared off of her and didn't show just how thin she really is!
default_no.gif

irish2.jpg

irish8.jpg

irish11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww, she looks like such a sweetheart. Sending healing thoughts her way..

Mona, you are AWESOME!

Mona, your the best!! Just look at how comfy she looks in her towel. I bet she hasnt felt that good in a long long time. She sure picked the best house in the neighborhood to take a little rest. I love her new name. I hope she heals quickly,

Heidi

Your story made me cry. I was thinking of Sammie (my rescue cat). Sometimes they just know who will help them. I am so glad she came into your life. I hope she will recover well for you.

God bless you! You have such a compassionate heart. I'm so thankful you were able to help this precious dog. She is beautiful and I pray she makes it because I just know she'll be a wonderful addition to your family. Such a shame that she's had to suffer so much. God provides. What a wonderful vet!

Awww...It is so sad to imagine what she has gone through. I hope she continues to improve for you and glad that she was guided to your home for help.

Oh Mona - Bless your heart girl!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_smile.png
I am sitting here wondering about her pups. That is just so sad.

You are an angel and she is going to thank you over and over and over again.

She is beautiful.She is a Red Bone Coonhound and my SO has several of them.There was a movie about them many years ago,Where The Red Fern Grows.Main dogs were Dan and Little Ann and we have 2 named after those dogs.Good luck with her and God bless you for taking her in.the black stuff from vagina sounds like from dead puppy in there.Hope your vet can get her going again.They are very nice dogs.Like any hunting dogs they are high energy.Keep us posted.

What a lovely hound. She looks like a real sweetheart. You are an angel to help her.

I'm an old dog lover, for sure. What has her temperature been running?

I'm sure you already know these things, but what I'd do is feed a number of small meals throughout the day. Keep her hydrated. We often make cream of chicken soup for our dogs when they are sick or even good chicken broth. We will put food in a blender to make it easier on a sick stomach.

Blessings to you on taking care of "Irish."

I was just going to say she looks like a Red Bone too. Well Mona you did us proud yet again. You are really something. Got to wonder about those puppies. I'm betting they are close by. If you set her loose, maybe she will lead you to them. I hope you can find them. Looks like you've got a faithful friend there who loves you!

Ohhhhh poor girl. I am so happy you got to take care of her. The last animal that showed up here and my husband said " DO NOT FEED IT, it won't leave" is here now for the last 9 years. And he loves her as much as anyone. Sometimes you just gotta do it.

She sure has beautiful-soulful eyes. If I was a tad closer she could come for a visit. Love the hounds
default_saludando.gif

What a beautiful hound dog she is........ Bless you for taking her and giving her another chance.

Did she recently have pups?

Wow what a story. Has me in tears. Bless you for caring about her and taking her in. Sending prayers that she recovers quickly

kay

Oh Mona,

You are AWESOME
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

What a beautiful girl she is
default_wub.png

Thanks everyone!
default_wub.png
She is such a sweet girl. I feel sorry for her when I have to make her go out to the bathroom. I literally have to push her outside through the doorway. She's probably thinking, "NO WAY am I going out there...I have been out in that cold long enough, and now I have the warmth of this house, and I am not leaving!"
default_biggrin.png
But she will soon learn that she will be let right back in again. BTW...for those that do not know where I am, I am in Northwestern Ontario, just across the border from Minnesota, so you know our temps are extremely COLD this time of year, and when I found her, temperatures have been around the -30C, but windchills of close to -40! FAAAAAAR too cold for ANY short haired dog, and I cannot believe she lived through it, I really can't!

Connie, Marty and others, yes, I too wonder about the fate of her pups, but I know for a fact they are not "out there" somewhere. Her tits were not FULL of milk like they would have been in she still had pups nursing. Her vulva is also still fairly big and puffy, so her pups may not have been more than a few weeks old when she "lost" them, but if I thought there was ANY hope, I would be searching for them. She would not have left them had they been alive.

TheCaseFamily, yes, I have named her name "Irish" because of her deep Irish Setter type of red color, as well as her having the "Luck of the Irish" in getting help before she died.

Bevann, that is neat that you mention her breed and that movie. When I was telling my daughter about her yesterday morning, I told her she reminded me alot of that "Little Anna" (I guess I had the name wrong though! LOL) in Where The Red Fern Grows that we had seen before, so I guess my memory served me well! Also, the discharge from her vagina is not black, it is a kind of beige color. They xrayed her and there were no puppies in there.

Aristocratic Minis, when the vet took her temp yesterday, it was normal. (which I was surprised about as I thought with all her infections she would surely have a fever!) Yes, I have been mixing canned food with dry puppy food and feeding several small meals a day. Yesterday and overnight I really monitored (limited) her water intake so she would not take in too much at once, but today I have left the bowl down for her to drink at her leisure, as she is not woofing it down as she was yesterday.

Miniv, yes, I believe she did recently have pups, but I also believe they are long dead. Either the puss in her milk killed them or they froze to death, but even though her teats are big, it does not appear anything has been nursing for some time, as they are not "full", but can still get some milk out...not completely dried up yet.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, kind thoughts and prayers for Irish. We WILL get her through this! Thanks all for your support! And yes, I will keep you all updated on her progress...happily!
default_smile.png

Hey Mona, just an idea for you:

Got any foal blankets? Put one on her when you want her to go out to the bathroom.

Amy is such a weenie like that too. She will not go outside to potty if its cold or wet no matter how bad she has to go unless I put her blanket on. I've actually had to walk her outside in the rain under the umbrella more than once!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back