When To Geld???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clpclop

Reaction score
My 3 mo old colt is just a pistol to be around. He's been a biter from day one and every conceivable method to stop him from biting and nipping has been tried. He's already showing "stallion" behavior ie jumping on my other mare and trying to "do his thing".

Question...Will this behavior stop if I geld him?

Maybe he's just having fun!!!!!!!

But yes, it will slow down those behaviors.

Last year we gelded on at 6 months,,,,,,,,,,,this year one at 2 months.

How's your fly's though??? They can make a newly gelded horse pretty unhappy.

It depends on the vet. Some won't geld early. However, I have mine done as very young foals whenever possible. This year I had one gelded just before he turned two months old.

Considering your colt is so young, my guess is it is related to his age. Just like kids, some young horses take longer to "get it" than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those behaviors are VERY normal for a colt. Most colts exhibit those behaviors at only a few weeks old.

It is good that he is in with another mare, or horses of any type... your colt is playing and the other horses will help socialize him to realize when he can play, and when enough is enough.

As for you, you need to be very patient yet firm, and let him know that it is NOT acceptable to do those behaviors to YOU. He can't help his instinct and nature, but he is learning right now all about social graces and is very moldable and you can help teach him what behaviors you would expect out of him.

As for gelding, I gelded a colt last year at just over a month old and he recovered a ton faster than my two year old colt that was gelded on the same day. Your vet will best advise. As long as you geld by two years of age you can reverse most of the hormones and physical characteristics of an unbred stallion.

But even a young gelding will be playful and want to bite and rear and kick... it is the basic nature of a young horse. Fillies play a little more dainty but still have those young horse behaviors!

Just my opinion and perspective.

Andrea

My little man has been acting like a stud since he was 3 weeks old. He will be 3 months this week. He's at the point where he looks like he could get the job done now. I went to the vet & he said it was to hot to geld him now & that he wouldn't be fertile at this time. He recommended not gelding until in the fall. When its time to wean, he will not be in the same field as my mares until he is gelded. He is driving me
default_wacko.png
: with his behavior. Although he doesn't bite or kick. He's laid back other than trying to ride all the mares in the field with him. :saludando:

Thank you all for your input. I suppose I just needed to hear some encouraging words. I know he's just being a boy, but the biting issue is getting in the way of loving him. I can't even put my hand on him without him trying to bite. It just breaks my heart! I will wait until fall though.

Thanks!

Thank you all for your input. I suppose I just needed to hear some encouraging words. I know he's just being a boy, but the biting issue is getting in the way of loving him. I can't even put my hand on him without him trying to bite. It just breaks my heart! I will wait until fall though.

Thanks!

I have one that is 4 months old and he is scheduled to be gelded Aug. 6th as that is when the moon sign is right for it., and weaning also., so my vets office says. He has been aggressive since he was 3 days old I do believe and is driving me and his Mom wacko
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: I have never had one this aggressive! I do hope it will improve the biting., and jumping up on you..for the biting I have been slapping him right on the mouth and he is getting the message., just not good enough though.
default_smile.png

Clara

Well I hope the gelding cures this for you. I have one that is 2 yr old now, and no matter what I have done, he is still a biter, unfortuntely he didn't fully drop till this year, so he will be gelded in the fall. I love him to pieces, but he was like yours also, always getting on top of a 2 yr old filly I had from just about day 1. He is also full of himself with the big horses (no flames here, we all have different opinions) he just thinks he's one of them. He knows he is being bad, but just waits till your not paying attention and wham!! Ha! Ha! I got you again! I sure hope gelding him changes his behaviors some. Good luck.

Gelding does not "cure" anything!!

I have had Stallions all my life and I have NEVER had a stallion that bit.

I have had colts that bit (this is the problem with calling everything "stallions" !!)

Colts are teenagers, young boys, rough housing and pushing the limits all the time.

Colts are or can be a nightmare.

Colts grow up, and, if they are handled correctly, and taught manners, they grow into stallions such as the three I have at the moment, who are better behaved than most horses, geldings or otherwise, that I know.

Colts that are not firmly handled and taught manners, when gelded, will grow up into bad mannered geldings that bite, rear, kick, etc.

Gelding will change NONE of that.

All gelding does is remove the drive to breed mares that are in season.

Some of the nastiest horses I have ever handled have been (bad mannered) geldings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay Rabbit fizz. Training training training. I too have wonderful boys in my barn 3 of them 1 who is 7 one who is 5 and one who is 2 and except for the 2 yr old they behave remarkably well. The 5 yr old is so laid back even the mares get frustrated with him. He's a lover not a fighter and approaches with finessse. He will rare for them on occasion but never on the end of a lead. Oh I forgot there are 4 now just had a colt last Monday and his training regarding people and behavior has already started. The two yr old is being formally trained now. We spoiled him so now have to work to undo what was done. If I had it to do over I would have done it when he was a baby. Ill mannered is ill mannered and I dont think it much matters gelding or stallion.

My vet said eh wouldn't do it before 6 months and in the fall after fly season is over.

I have 2 colts and they are both very lovable, no naughty behaviour except eating my flowers on my sandals
default_wink.png
: :lol: , Theo does try to mount Momma and then he can't figure how to get down! Momma completely ignores the whole 'show'!

Good luck with your boy, I think biting is a behaviour Not related to hormones, I have owned 4 stallions none of them were biters.

You talk about "training, training, training" for the bad behavior. I've tried EVERYTHING! I posted my problem with him when he was only a few weeks old and tried everyone's suggestions. I'm out there with my horses every day for a couple of hours, playing, taking them for walks, grooming. I try to praise good behavior and discipline the bad. I'm so afraid that this beautiful little guy will be so rotten as an adult that I won't want to keep him. I helped birth him after a difficult delivery so I'm very attached and want to just enjoy him, but he's just not into that. By the way...he's the picture on my avatar. His name is Finn. I'm wondering if a biter will always a biter?

Latest posts

Back