Nipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunnieABee

Reaction score
I just picked up a new mini today. The couple I got him from stated that he doesn't like to be caught to come in so they have been using grain to get him in. As a result he nips when you walk him because he wants food. What would be the quickest way to stop this behavior? I've never had it as an issue before.

If mine get nippy they are cut off from all treats until they can behave themselves. If they are nippy with their halter on, then I rub their lips together to make them back up. If they get nippy without their halter on, as I’m walking by and I don’t expect it, then I chase them off and out of my space. Nippy horses are not allowed at my place. If I’m just sitting there with them and they get nippy, I might poke them in the mouth or rub their lips together to make them back.

Good advice so far. My pony used to want to not exactly bite my hand but would sort of put his teeth on it when I was leading him. If you can get the timing just right, have him meet - something, when he comes in to nip. Either meet him with a sharp little bop or it can work even better if you can get just the right timing to use the end of your lead rope especially if it has a little leather popper on it. I think I got the timing just perfect with the lead rope popper one time and my horse never did it again - he might have thought about it a time or two and actually preemptively corrected himself without me doing a thing!

The other piece of it is, in order to be within reach to try nipping, he has to be crowding into your space (or he may feel you're crowding into his). So keeping him at a small distance can remove the temptation for him - a lot of people do tend especially with small equines to ask them (whether on purpose or inadvertently) to walk really close when leading and the biting could be partially from this. So the correction needs to be fair, keeping in mind that people caused this and he is probably just doing what he thinks is either expected or he just thinks people are giant walking treat dispensers.

Watch his expression when you have him further behind you - the other thing my guy would do is come along behind with a nasty face on (ears back) and as soon as I'd turn to look he'd pretend like it hadn't happened. I would back him off even further when he did that because that nasty face is him thinking he's pushing the person around, and then the nipping comes next.

I like @Abby P's approach of owning your space, being more assertive and not accepting disrespectful behavior. It's amazing just how many little terrors can actually be very lovely citizens when their poor behavior is not tolerated.
I have 2 colts this year, both half Arabian x warmbloods. They've taken turns in their development being out of bounds and testing and making poor choices, as well as being attentive, cooperative and lovely young animals. On a recent walk around the yard and driveway, the younger of the two decided it would be the best idea he's ever had to taste my jacket - with teeth. I popped him over the nose with the end of the rope, no other movements, no big reaction from me, and I carried on as if it hadn't happened. He was so surprised. Really took him back! And you know what? No more teeth on my jacket, or any other part of me! It was more of a startle than a hurt but it was very effective. Likewise, when they need to back up out of my space and I don't want to be banging around their heads and faces, I'll tap legs. Usually the leg lifts up when I tap it, while it's up, it can go backwards. And when they're out of my space, they can't be nippy.

In all my years with horses, I've learned that horses are the happiest when they're not required to be the leaders and make decisions. if they can be confident in your leadership and decision making, the horses will want to be around you and obedient to you. That doesn't mean you need to be mean, aggressive or unfair, quite the opposite. You need to be assertive, fair and consistent.

I hope my long-winded post helps some... o_O

I know this is an old post, but wanted to say thank you to those that answered this. I've got a 6 month old mini donk jack, (just waiting for better weather for gelding) and he's so fun and lovely, but he grabs my leg, or my foot, or my arm sometimes. It's winter, so there's fabric involved. It's never hurt, but I know I need to make him stop, because he doesn't see me as authority, more as his playmate. I don't give him any treats, so it's not at all motivated by food. He's really just playing around, being affectionate, like a toddler donkey. I have just been redirecting him, or walking away when he does it. Saying "no, that hurts" (even though it doesn't), and pushing his mouth away. I'm wondering about grabbing his mouth in some way, but I don't want to go too far. Sometimes, to be honest, he almost holds my jacket like it's a comfort. I don't know if that makes sense. He was just weaned when he came to me, and he has playmates "on the way", so to speak. A 10 day old baby on the ground, and another on the way. But they aren't ready for playing, and the 2 moms aren't going to play with him. So I'm his donkey friend and mother. If he gets sassy with the mommas, they kick him, or bite him back. I don't see that as an option for me. It's not an "all the time" thing, but I want to nip it in the bud, before he nips me in the butt. Haha.

I'm going to copy and paste what John Lyons says about it. He was one of the original big name clinicians, before Parelli, and was very popular. I like most of his advice.

"The horse never ever has the right to kick or bite you. Biting is more dangerous than kicking because it is a more aggressive act on the horse’s part. You can’t every justify that action in your mind.

I don’t want to be bitten. If the horse tries to bite me, I will try to kill him. His act is that dangerous and my rule is that simple. I have three seconds in which to kill this thousand-pound beast. The only limitation I’ll put on the murder is that his head will be off limits. Remember, I don’t want to blind him, I want to kill him. Immediately after I’ve exhausted the three seconds, I’ll pet him to reassure him that I still like him, but he knows that he made a serious mistake that almost cost him his life."

I'm going to copy and paste what John Lyons says about it. He was one of the original big name clinicians, before Parelli, and was very popular. I like most of his advice.

"The horse never ever has the right to kick or bite you. Biting is more dangerous than kicking because it is a more aggressive act on the horse’s part. You can’t every justify that action in your mind.

I don’t want to be bitten. If the horse tries to bite me, I will try to kill him. His act is that dangerous and my rule is that simple. I have three seconds in which to kill this thousand-pound beast. The only limitation I’ll put on the murder is that his head will be off limits. Remember, I don’t want to blind him, I want to kill him. Immediately after I’ve exhausted the three seconds, I’ll pet him to reassure him that I still like him, but he knows that he made a serious mistake that almost cost him his life."
So you're saying I can't go too far. Okay, thank you for that very clear message.

So you're saying I can't go too far. Okay, thank you for that very clear message.
I think it's very unlikely you will go too far. I am age-appropriate. A little baby will think you are going to kill it with a firm smack and yelling no. When they are very little I just try to redirect. But I don't spend 6 months to a year teaching my horse not to nip by poking, pinching, redirecting, trying to get him to bump my elbow, ect. Too many of them think it's a fun game. I find I rarely need to correct this issue more than once or twice.

I think it's very unlikely you will go too far. I am age-appropriate. A little baby will think you are going to kill it with a firm smack and yelling no. When they are very little I just try to redirect. But I don't spend 6 months to a year teaching my horse not to nip by poking, pinching, redirecting, trying to get him to bump my elbow, ect. Too many of them think it's a fun game. I find I rarely need to correct this issue more than once or twice.
I can absolutely see how this would be effective. I jokingly just shared this with my fellow mother-in-law, as we were discussing a misbehaving grandkid. We were both joking, except there is something to be said for scaring the poop out of them when they do something completely unacceptable. I appreciate your experience, and willingness to share. Thank you.

The idea of course isn't to terrify the horse, it's to treat them the same way another horse would. If you watch two geldings or colts in a field they will bite at each other's faces all day long. They love it. It's play. And when you poke and pinch at their face many of them will just think you are playing back. When the same horse does that to an old cranky mare she goes after him hard. Bite, kick, whatever end is closer, she looks like she is going to kill him. Then he decides maybe that isn't a good idea and looks for someone else to bite.

I'm here to echo @LostandFound (I also have a huge appreciation for John Llyons!) You need to set boundaries NOW!!! Too bad he doesn't yet have a playmate. That is NEVER going to be your role. You are the primary alpha mare. That doesn't mean you're bossy or mean, but you are directive. I've had 3 conversations with Phillippe, I believe, over the 4 years I've had him. And he was a sass-pot weanling when I brought him home. He's never bitten me out of aggression but I've treated every single contact with his teeth on my person with the same response of DO NOT EVER! Cause if he'll do that with me, he'll do that with others, and others could be children and that's simply not ever acceptable. Not ever.

Latest posts

Back