Gelding chasing and biting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiffracer

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to the forum but not to horses ponies and the like. I have a 1.5 yo who was gelded at around 10 months (if the information from the seller is correct). I had him alone for about 3 months before he was joined by a 6mo filly and colt. He initially was very territorial as we introduced them thru fence for about 4 months. I put them together and they seemed to do great, but in the past month he has begun chasing, biting, nipping legs of bithe the babies although he seems to go after the filly more. They are out to pasture during day and in corral at night and location and doace doesn't seem to change him. I have spent a lot of time trying to correct him but cannot be with them constantly. This us a new behavior to me after nearly 35 years of horses. I would love some info on what yall think I should do. My dad says "they're just playing "... but Scarlett doesn't feel that way I'm sure! Thank you all!

Attachments

• 20220205_151051.jpg
    20220205_151051.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 7
Young boys play rough. I had people stop at my house because they were freaked out at my two boys at "horse play". It's not fun for us to watch.
But I think yours will settle down after a while. Just don't watch; go inside. Your boy is probably just showing whose in charge of the herd. He goes after the filly more because he thinks she is more challenging. Give them a chance to work it out. 3 horses can be an awkward herd dynamic also.

I have a rule at my house: if a horse does not get along with me or my 26 year old Dapper Dan, then that horse moves along. I give them 6 months or a year.

Such a sweet face!!

I agree, they are probably just playing LOL LOL! Boys play so rough! Here are several videos on how rough my 3 little boys play….

https://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/threads/friskies.139855/page-2#post-1650168
You really can’t correct their behavior since you aren’t out in their pasture 24/7, but I do insist that they play nice when I am around and if I have one on halter or tied up. If you don’t see any marks on them, then I would say it is all for fun. If you do see marks on any of them, then I would say you might have a problem since they all have been together for a few months and might want to consider separating. I’d hate to see any horse get beaten up.…. But usually the less dominant one will stay out of alphas way… at least in my experience.

You have a good point Marsha, 3 can be an awkward herd dynamic. Breezy & Stormy are so bonded and are out during the day together. At night i throw in poor little Thunder and watch out! Lol! Thunder is like, “I’m in charge! I’m in charge!! I might be the smallest, but I’m in charge! I’m in charge!!” LOL LOL 💕💕

My NEW rule is, if you can’t get along with my 3 boys… and you have to be nice to ALL of them… then it is time for you to move along 😁💕💕

It sounds to me like playing/telling them who's in charge. Even though they are all still babies the older one is at an age when he will be growing up much more than the other two, they won't stick up for themselves as much yet. Hopefully it will get better in a bit more time. If they aren't being hurt and don't seem scared of him/upset all the time then they should work it out. Have you checked to make sure he really is gelded? It could just be spring and he's one of the studdy geldings trying to claim a mare?

Is the younger colt gelded or still a stallion? Is he best pals with the filly? If so, the older one may be frustrated. I can't tell for sure from your wording whether you doubt when he was gelding, or if he was gelding completely. If your colt is still a stallion, and your gelding is still producing testosterone, you have a potentially dangerous situation having the three of them together. Your older gelding should not be acting studish, having been gelded so young. I'm not trying to alarm you, as he could just be playing rough, but if you have any doubts a blood test could tell you.

You all are awesome! No marks basically he's just pulling tufts of her winter coat out... I agree on 3 being awkward but the smallest, Poncho, was basically unwanted due to his turned out leg and is bonded to Scarlett. I just wanted to give them a good life and feel awful watching it. I admit most of my experience is with big girl horses (minus an ornery shetland) and just haven't seen this rambunctiousness in them. I'll try and catch a video of thrm today.

Is the younger colt gelded or still a stallion? Is he best pals with the filly? If so, the older one may be frustrated. I can't tell for sure from your wording whether you doubt when he was gelding, or if he was gelding completely. If your colt is still a stallion, and your gelding is still producing testosterone, you have a potentially dangerous situation having the three of them together. Your older gelding should not be acting studish, having been gelded so young. I'm not trying to alarm you, as he could just be playing rough, but if you have any doubts a blood test could tell you.
I actually assisted the vet in his gelding so got to see the jewels promptly be eaten by the chickens lol! I kinda question his age although vet believes he was 9 to 12 months when we did it.

You were there when Poncho was gelded? If it keeps happening you can just split them again. The older one (what's his name?) might be happier with friends over the fence and not in his paddock, some are. I knew a small pony who was perfect when he was out with big horses but beat up the little ones when he was with them, he got to live with the big ones and everyone was happy.

You all are awesome! No marks basically he's just pulling tufts of her winter coat out... I agree on 3 being awkward but the smallest, Poncho, was basically unwanted due to his turned out leg and is bonded to Scarlett. I just wanted to give them a good life and feel awful watching it. I admit most of my experience is with big girl horses (minus an ornery shetland) and just haven't seen this rambunctiousness in them. I'll try and catch a video of thrm today.
Turned out leg--That is interesting. Possibly with plenty of exercise, trimming, and nutrition he will improve. When I got my little mare the vet estimated her age about 5-6. Her front feet turn out and the frogs on all her feet were sideways. She has had plenty of galloping in the pasture, working in the cart, good nutrition, chirpractor, and regular trimming by a barefoot trimmer. Her chest is filled out and her frogs are almost straight now. She still toes out a little in front. Since you got yours at a younger age, I'll bet he straightens out a lot.

Turned out leg--That is interesting. Possibly with plenty of exercise, trimming, and nutrition he will improve. When I got my little mare the vet estimated her age about 5-6. Her front feet turn out and the frogs on all her feet were sideways. She has had plenty of galloping in the pasture, working in the cart, good nutrition, chirpractor, and regular trimming by a barefoot trimmer. Her chest is filled out and her frogs are almost straight now. She still toes out a little in front. Since you got yours at a younger age, I'll bet he straightens out a lot.
That's exactly what we are doin! He shows improvement every day!

We got a mare off the track and one of her front legs turned way out, all the way from the shoulder down. We got her feet balanced and the vet did shockwave on the shoulder and it went completely straight, you'd never notice anything. Their front legs are not attached to their body the same way as the hind legs so things can change a lot if the horse changes the way he moves and carries himself.

As to the other stuff, I agree with the others, he's just trying to be the boss. I always think of horses like this like the annoying boss who lacks confidence himself and therefore feels he has to constantly harass his underlings. I had a horse like that and the only thing that fixed him up was a real boss horse. He was THE WORST when he was in a herd of two as the dominant one and the other horse was a mare. Non-stop harassment. Never caused any injury although I'm surprised no one ever kicked his face off for him. 🤣 But you may be surprised, your little girl will grow up someday and she might hand his butt to him. :)

Agree you need to wait and see if they settle down after they establish their order in their herd. My mare was constantly harassing and picking fights with my two geldings which never changed.
They all go out to pasture together because there is plenty of room for them to get away from her, but I ended up spliting my dry lot in two so the two geldings can have have some peace and chill and I think they all prefer it that way.

Just a story. I have a 3 yr old gelding. I both an 10 yr gelding. Put them side by side in different pens for 2 months. Got along fine just a little play through the panels. Tried the 10 ur old with the other 2 mare 20 yr and 2 yr gelding I have and he he fine. One more month next to each other. So ots time. I put them together and ot was bad. My 3 yr old charged and bit fisously no end. My 10 yr ran but never gar enough. They will not live together. Just how it is sometimes.

Latest posts

Back