When is a mare to small to bred?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CS Classic Acres

Reaction score
I have a 26 inch mare that will be a 3 year old this spring, I had considered breeding her but she has pretty much stopped growing at 26 inches.
default_unsure.png
I have never bred any that small. I have a stallion that throws very refined tiny babies but I am still not sure. Anyone out there bred them that small? Any problems? Thanks !
default_rolleyes.gif

I like to wait until mares under 30" are at least 5 and then I have my vet do an internal exam to make sure there is enough room for a foal to pass. I have never had one not pass an internal exam, but I have had a 31" ultra refined mare that my vet strongly recommended never breeding. I would be really, really weary of breeding a 26" mare-i have done 27.5-28" without problems, but 26" would make me so nervous. Maybe bred to a really refined 28" stallion. You should contact Tony from Little America and see what he has to say. I know he has successfully bred mares that small so he would be a great one to get knowledge from.

I would like to see the filly but would suspect that at 26 inches there may not be enough room to reposition if everything was not textbook for a delivery safely.

I likely would wait until she was older than three though.

Maybe if the stallion was smaller than the filly there may be a chance, but likely pretty risky.

I have had bad experiences with taller mares too, so one never knows.

I, personally, would never breed a mare under 30"-32". 26" seems very very risky IMHO
default_unsure.png

The HEIGHT of the mare does not determine her "breedability". That is determined by her bone density, hip size, and VERY importantly, the bone density of the stallion. Just because a stallion is the same height (i.e., 26") does not mean he would be a good candidate. The little ones OFTEN (not always....but VERY often) have much more bone density, resulting in broader heads, wider hips,and a much more difficult delivery, no matter what size the mare is. If you are seriously considering her for breeding, have her evaluated by a vet that is well versed in miniature reproduction to see if she can handle it, and then find a VERY VERY VERY fine-boned stallion.

I breed small tiny minis and have no issues BUT I agree with the conformation and bone sizing> I also would wait as she is not old enough as she is still maturing. Hight wise yes maybe done but filling out, no. Please wait at leat till she's 4.5 or 5 yrs old. Also your stallion must have the same bone refindness or more smaller/refined or you can run into a lot of problems!

Last edited by a moderator:
The HEIGHT of the mare does not determine her "breedability". That is determined by her bone density, hip size, and VERY importantly, the bone density of the stallion. Just because a stallion is the same height (i.e., 26") does not mean he would be a good candidate. The little ones OFTEN (not always....but VERY often) have much more bone density, resulting in broader heads, wider hips,and a much more difficult delivery, no matter what size the mare is. If you are seriously considering her for breeding, have her evaluated by a vet that is well versed in miniature reproduction to see if she can handle it, and then find a VERY VERY VERY fine-boned stallion.
I ditto every word Jean said. The others have had good advice also. My personal experience is with breeding mostly 29-31" mares. My one and only (knock on wood) issue so far has been with a mare that is 33.75". As others have said, the issue isn't the height of the mare, but if there is enough room in there to reposition a foal if you run into problems. There's not a lot of room in a 34" mare, and so much less the smaller they are.

If you do decide to breed her, PLEASE have an experienced (with minis) vet do an internal physical exam. They need to actually insert their hand and rotate it 360 degrees to feel if there are any snug parts. Think of laying your hand flat on a table, fingers together. The widest part of your palm, about from the middle of your thumb across to the opposite side. On me it looks to be about 4.5". You have to be able to rotate your hand around 360 degrees with NO snug spots. If your hand (the vets hand actually) "catches" on anything, you really don't have enough room. Think if the size of the forehead of a foal. It's pretty big! That, plus room for two legs, needs to be able to come out at once. The shoulders and hips can rotate a bit when coming out, but that forehead is solid.

On another note, I hear lots of people say their stallions are very refined, but when I go to shows I see very few of them. And this is a general statement and not geared toward your stallion. But I think that many people do not realize how unrefined (is that even a word???) their horses are. Maybe many who have these ultra-refined horses just aren't showing them. I wish they would though!!
default_aktion033.gif

And lastly, please wait at least one more year. She's just too young.

I wish you the best with your mare! Please keep us updated and maybe even post a picture.
default_yes.gif

default_saludando.gif
my friend has a 19.3 hh clydesdale he is huge biggest horses ive ever seen

and she wonted to put it over my brothers clydesdale X mare and she,s only about 15.3 hh and i said to my

brother no way that is just to big ...dont know about minis .....i have heard that the mare will only carry to her

size but ...i wouldnt risk it

Thank you all for your input!! Very informational. I will definately have my vet check her before I make that decision and wait at least one more year. She is such a sweet mare and very kind when my boys play with her , I am not sure I want to risk haveing something go wrong.

No, absolutely not, not ever, and I do not care how well proportioned she is inside!

I don't care about the stallion, either.

She is just too small.

If and when something does go wrong, you have no way whatsoever in getting it put right there is no room inside for manoeuvre.

And however small or light boned the stallion, things can go wrong. They go wrong with full sized horses so obviously they are going to go wrong with our tiny ones. With a 14.2hh or even a 32" you have a bit of room in there to sort things out.

My 32" mare survived losing her foal.

My 28" mare (to the withers btw) did not....and she had had two foals with no problems, before.

I'm with most of the others, no way, no how, not ever! I lost my heart horse, 30"s, she was vet checked before breeding, and the vet spent 4 hours trying to deliver her foal, no way, I lost both of them. I think you have answered you own question here, and if you love this mare, follow your gut instinct, but of course the choice is yours to make, but in my opinion a mare that small I wouldn't take a chance.

The size or build of the stallion, or the mares expertise will count for nothing if the foal dies and the mare attempts to abort. I was there form the moment the foal died to when she tried to abort 48hrs later. There was no room inside the mare to do anything at all. The foal was minute, the mare had foaled twice before. The foal was dead and therefore could not help. It's head was turned back along it's body.

With my 32" mare. when the same thing happened, there was room inside her to push back the foot (she was presenting three hooves!) and turn the foal and get it out.

And there is no reason to breed these tiny things and risk them anyway, it is not as if they breed significantly smaller foals.

Both the mares previous foals made 30"- I can breed less than that form my 32" mares, no problem.

Use a tiny tiny stallion on 30-32" mares, that is the safer way to do it.

Just wanted to add, I do not breed under 30" mares but have a smaller stallion 28.00".

Our 31.50" mare did not open if at all it seemed and yes was an experience I do not want to have to go through again but we got it out was shocked the baby could come through, what a tight fit.. and had a healthy bouncy filly that was only 16.00 at birth.

We called her Glory Bee

Here is Glory Bee at 4 months.

Glory Bee a.jpg

But have found that size of mare is not the issue, have heard also bigger mares over 32" and than breeding with small stallion have to much room for the mare and foal and their cord gets twisted and they can come out dead.

So I think it is just nature, we never know with these small equine or any birthing is a chance we take.

Not saying I recommend you breed a 26" mare but I am sure there are people that do and have no problem.

I just find breeding is only for certain people and for sure have to be there and do what is best for your equine minis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wont breed a mare under 30 inches, even breeding to a small stallion,it could throw back resulting in a larger foal than she can safely deliver.my cousin bred a 28 inch stallion to her 32 inch mare, and the foal was large,matured to 37 inches!!! She almost lost her mare,plus a huge vet bill. Imo,i just think its more risky the smaller they are. If she is mostly a pet,it would be devestating to to lose her over the chance of a difficult birth .i wish you luck on whatever you decide!

Latest posts

Back