When does the hurt stop?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry for your loss of Trooper. Like most on the forum, I know only to well, the loss of a very special surchild. We lost our Shado 1 1/2 yrs ago, and it hurts to this very day, every time I think about him or walk past his pictures. We did have another "best friend" who was also Shado's bst friend, that was our Angel. It has taken me 1 1/2 years to add another furbaby. Just two months ago, we got our KaJ. No pet will ever take the place of your Trooper, but a new pet will help to ease your pain. I guess if we didnt feel the pain of losing our furkids, we wouldnt be true animal lovers, take your time, you will know when the perfect companion will come along. With time it does get easier.

I have lost two special pets so far in my years, my old dog Savage and my cat Bandit. One thing I have learned since they have been gone is, they are never really gone as long as we always remember them ! They are always in your heart and always in your mind. Remember the fun and happy times and they will always be with you, and when it's your time to go, well just know Trooper will be waiting for you on the other side like my pets will be for me !

Thank you all so much for the posts! I've been reading them through the last couple of days...you've made me feel so much better about how I'm feeling and what to expect. When I start feeling bad I come back and read them. I'm so sorry for your losses too, but thank you so much for sharing with me. Do know that it has helped tremendously.

Someone dropped off a 6mo. old puppy in my barn about 5 weeks ago. My husband said that god gave me the puppy because it was time for Trooper to go home. Well, I have to wonder about that trade.
default_smile.png
Having a 6 mo old Border Collie is like having a 2 yr old. Not at all like a cuddly cat that sits on my lap when I do my homework. I looked at a couple of kitty rescue sites, but I haven't been able to look at any orange kitty's without crying yet. I'm thinking about going to the Pet Expo in Columbus this weekend, maybe some little kitty will find me there.

Hey, I didn't realize you were so close to Columbus, so hey neighbor!

Don't forget cat welfare in columbus, they only take strays.

Thanks! I'm only 20 minutes south of Columbus so we are neighbors. I'll check the Cat Welfare site later. Today has not been a good one...I've found that I've gone from sad to very irritable.
default_no.gif

I know that most of you don't know me because I'm mostly a lurker and I work full-time and go to college part-time, so I don't have much time to post. However, I really need your help. I had to put my cat down yesterday and I can't believe how empty I feel inside. He was a special kitty and he came to me as a 6 mo old rescue almost 4 years ago. He had broken his front arm trying to stay warm laying by a car engine. My vet tried to save his arm by putting a pin in it, but unfortunatley, we found out later that his radial nerve had too much damage so we amputated it. He got along pretty good for about a year, then he got kidney stones or crystals and he was plugged up. We did the surgery to remove the small part of his urethra and put him on special food to dissolve the crystals. The suregery was ok, but he chewed on his incision at the vets office, which caused some scar tissue and he never could urinate in a stream, just quick drips. He ended up getting stress bladder from the surgery and straining to urniate. Eventhough, he was on special food, stress bladder medication, he continued to have crystals and get bladder infections. He would be fine for 6 mos, then get 2 bladder infections in a row.
He was a character, always at my feet, on my lap, trying to get out the door, and he was a talker...loved to meow at me in the kitched always wanting food. He had a place on the back of the loveseat where he slept most of the time. I had class on Monday so I got home at 10pm and Trooper had diareaha during the day. He seemed ok, because he ate his food and was urinating, so I went to bed. When I woke up Tues morning, I couldn't find Trooper anywhere. He always come when I called him to take his meds. After looking for a while, I found him in the basement, sleeping on the workbench shelf...he never slept there and he hissed at me when I tried to pick him up. He seemed to feel really bad, so I took him to the vet and dropped him off. When I dropped him off, I mentioned that we shold probably evaluate his quality of life, because I can't imagine how it feels to have so many bladder infections and not be able to uriniate correctly. About 6 mos back I had asked this question of Trooper's normal vet (who did the surgery and knows him by name), she said that bladder infections were normal and we should just check him every couple of months. Then yesterday, Trooper had a different vet and he called and said that that many bladder infections weren't normal and that he was probably in pain most of the time and that it was time. I thought I was prepared for it and said then go a head and put him down.

Then it hit me. I've never felt so empty and sad. My husband and I went to the vets last night and got him..brought him home and buried him with his fav toy, some cat nip, and his laser pointer (I left it on for him). I really didn't know it would hurt this much! I couldn't sleep last night, I can't eat, and I can't concentrate on anything. I put away his litter box and moved his cat tree, but this morning I put it back, so his spirit could look out the window, just like he always did. I went to work and got my work done, then left early...I just couldn't stop thinking about him. I miss him so much...but I was the one who did it. I just don't know how to cope. I just sit here and cry. I really wish I could take it back and remake my decision. When will the hurt go away? What can I do to make it better?

Edited to add pics

Pictures of Trooper
Hope this little sentence can help: All of our animals are only on "loan" and God likes his pets back to be with him and he will be waiting for you when you are also called back, so he is not "gone", only back home waiting for you.

I'm really sorry to hear that!

It does hurt something fierce! About 3 years ago we had to put my dog down of 10 years and then the next year, we had to put my 17 year old cat down that I had since she was a baby. I really never thought the hurt would go away, but time does ease the pain. You will never forget them but there will be a day when the pain will ease and you will remember them with fond memories. Just take one day at a time. ((hugs))

I am so sorry for your loss. That empty feeling is just horrible. It does get easier with time. I don't believe it "heals all wounds", I think we just develop better coping skills. What helped me was finding a new friend. Not as a replacement but as a "new friend". HUGS to you. Be easy on yourself. Love is Love. HUGS again.

Latest posts

Back