What's Your "Day Job"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!

This is a great thread! I enjoy hearing about what everyone does!!

I am a machinest..... my step-dad designs equine dental floats/insturments and it's my job to make them (start to finish) except for the rotary floats...

I gets extremly HOT back there in the summer 100+ in my room........ I've been doing that for 3 years now. Before that I was a stay at home mom and trained quater horses and showed at the quarter shows and had clients and LOVEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDD that! I LOVED training horses and having clients and working with people and being able to stay home.....

I don't mind my job now.....but the LACK OF respect I get at work and NO benefits and I know my job should pay more than it does.... I really wouldn't mind doing something else, either go back to training(????) or something.... BUT.......until that happens........ I'll keep doing what I'm doing!
default_wacko.png
:

I work for Nestle's, running one of the machines that makes Raisinets, Goobers and sometimes Buncha Crunch. I have been there for 34 years and still long way to go to retire. It's a clean job and air conditioned but I so want to get the heck out of there. So next time you are enjoying candy think of me...(only if its good). :bgrin

OK, we I have one full time job as my dad and I own a construction business that dad and my grandfather started 38 years ago. Dad is semi retired now. It is not what I ever wanted to do but what pays the bills. We also farm part time (which really means all the other hours the full time job doesn't take up). We raise registered Charolais beef cattle, hay, produce maple syrup, and Gaylene runs our greenhouse business.

Then we added our minis. We looked into raising them for several years before buying any. We now have about 18. I keep saying they are my retirement project. If we ever reach the point that we can I would go full time with the horses the sooner the better. Winning the lottery big time would help!

Mark

I don't have an official job. I am battling severe chronic Lyme disease but I have been helping my dad out with his new show cart business. I spend a lot of days sanding (very yucky job...fine dust everywhere and very very very sore hands!), painting, Pinstriping, assembling carts, and sewing boot covers. I suppose at some point he'll probably force me into using the "scarey" saws that chop off fingers and learn to weld.

Honestly he's not the "horsiest" person in the world..he's just extremely handy with tools, machines and building things and has me to do the technical hands on Horsie part of this. I do a lot of the designing and coming up with new ideas and ways to make them easier to use or whatnot. I do a lot of the internet part of it since he's computer illiterate and relatively horse illiterate so i post what few ads we put out there, and take all the e-mails and respond since many many questions are asked directly related to horses that he struggles to answer.

It's really nice because I help him and it's also benificial to the new business he pays for me to show! It's kind of blooming into my "dream" job. The only better thing would be if we ever get to the point where he can afford to pay me (though showing is hunky dory with me as it is..lol). I always said i wanted to be one of those people that demo's new products and tells if they like them or not ect. Then i could spend all my days trying out new products and riding! it's sort of like that. I get to come up with great idea's.... i get to drive around beating the crap out of carts to see what works and what doesn't. I get new carts frequently to use or show in...I get to show... and I can set my own hours and don't have a "boss" per se! I hope this keeps on growing the way it currently is! so far i'm loving most of it!

edited to ad: I also get "new horses" out of the deal! the horses are part of our advertising by showing them so when the urge strikes and i find a horse i like (within reason of course) and think will show well and help advertise our carts, it's more incentive to be able to get a new horse on a whim (course they are technically dads/the business's horses but since i'm the horse person it's really me that has the most pleasure and fun from them! lol)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting!!!

It's neat to me that a couple of you work with your dads, as I do, too!!!
default_wub.png
:

We butt heads sometimes, but at the end of the day, one of the things I am the most grateful for is that I get to spend so much time with my dad.

Wow!! Some of you have very interesting jobs / lives!! :bgrin

I work as a veterinary nurse, on a locum basis, at the country's largest SPCA shelter. I'm there more than I 'm not tho', and usually have to 'book' my time off!! But at least I have the option to say no, which gives me a lot of flexibility, especially in show season... :bgrin

Neat thread Jill,

Right now I'm pretty much a stay at home Mom/homemaker ( we have 1 more child at home he starts his senior year this fall).

I graduated from Meredith Manor with a Riding Master degree. Taught and trained Hunters and Dressage for over 25 years, then hung it up. As I'm sure most of you know to make money in the horse business you have to have clients with money and I got tired of the spoiled brats that I had to teach and compete against to make a living. After that I worked at a TB farm for 2 years hated it, I have never been so beat up by horses in my life as when I worked there. Broke 2 fingers and was kicked just to mention a few.......Thats when I got my first mini, go figure!

I teach a few friends from time to time who need help with a green horse and really want to learn. I take care of 2 very senior (43-25 year old) school ponies that were clients of mine. That pays for my horses.

I've worked child care and various other jobs over the years to pay for my horses, my husband is in sales (they have been sold to home depot and now again to a group of investers) He works out of Tampa, but has a home office that he works from.

I am a Registered Nurse, graduated in 1974, so I am a fossil, I guess. I worked med-surg florrs for the first 2 years then I worked in ICU for 14 years, some of which as the head nurse. Now I am working in newborn nursery and sometimes special care nursery with babies.

Last year, I went part time... working 2 12 1/2 hour days a week and some on call hours too.

However my true love is working with the minis, I never get tired of it.

My Dad moved in with me on May 23rd, and I am sure that it is permanent. My Dad is very ill with end stage chronic lung disease and end stage congestive heart failure. I take care of him here at home. This is not a burden, rather a pleasure. My Dad has always been the best Dad, and I owe him everything.

I hired a companion for 5 hours a day on the days I have to work, and my husband gets home early, so Dad isn't alone much.

In my spare time I design and hand craft beaded and gem jewelry. I am proud to say that my donations of hand crafted jewelry brought the highest bid and donations... ever, for the Robin's Nest... a foundation for troubled teens. Also, I use my earnings from my sales to help fund my very severe addiction... mini horses.

Now.. if I had it to do over again, what would I have done? I would have found a way to go to Vet school, instead of being a nurse. Nursing is great, but my real Love is working with the animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full time Secretary to the Principal at a high school in the greater Rochester, NY area...best job I ever had! :aktion033: :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
: I get to organize graduation, awards night, new student orientations (except this summer since I am out due to a bad knee).....

Then, I also do artwork inbetween horse chores and house chores....mom to Andy and Ben (17 and almost 16), Tim's "bride" (still after almost 19 years I am the bride)...and I write as a hobby...hint - check out the Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers in 2008 when it hits the presses (my latest but have a book in the works on sailing - my other "vice"...those who know yachts will identify many in my horses' names....)

And, human companion to Mercy, Freedom, Independence, Nefertiti, Weatherly and Enterprise...they are my "girls".

Denise

Silversong Farm

I work at a doggie daycare and boarding kennel 5 days a week. My bosses are actually leaving town for a couple nights next week and I'm the lucky one who gets to stay there and run the place. I've been there a year and this will be my third time managing while they're away. The business would literally fall down around them if I left. I've got clients that I house sit for so I can earn a bit of extra money, plus odd jobs among my friends.

i have two jobs. the first and most boaring is a housekeeper at Inn On The Twenty. The Inn is one of Ontraio's "finest Inns", and alot of really rich people stay there and i'm hoping one day one of them will leave me their BMW or Proshe as a tip..we can all have dreams right? lol. I work turn down about twice a week and clean rooms and work in laundry every weekend. I don't mind it so much as people think when i work turn downs there is alot of time that i'm sitting around waiting for people to leave for their dinner so i can bring my horse stuff and clean it while i wait lol.

my other job is a Digital Imaging Asitant at Village Studio located in down-town Grimsby. Simply put I make people look nice in their photos. I edit and size photos once an order has been placed, I also sixe orders from e-mail, restore old photos, put lamatnion finish on studio orders (alot more difficult then it sounds), dry mount wall size photos, and whole lot of other things useing a whole lot of other machines i don't the names of lol. I work there from 9:30 to 5:30 three days a week and i love it, yes it's a little cold in the basement but i want to be a photographer so this job is a great steeping stone for me. I also get to help on location or in the studio when there are animals to heard like the bunnies for the eater photos or puppies, so it's a great learning experince.

I work every Monday as an RCA, fancy term for rural mail carrier. I stayed home for the majority of 16 years and now that my kids are teens I like the little extra money.

This job is going to build my real barn :D.

Christine

Wow, some really fun sounding jobs. I would love to be able to stay home, I stayed home when my boys were younger, now I think they need me more now that they are teenagers.
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

I work as a dental assistant. :bgrin It is a good place to work ...free dental work!!

[SIZE=10pt]Legal secretary... and free legal advice is the perk
default_smile.png
Very best part of the day is coming home to the farm ... that I wouldn't trade for anything :bgrin
[/SIZE]

Well my official title is Network Architect and as such I am responsible for the design of the corporations data network and the ordering of circuits to implement it. However, after 45 years of Data Processing/ Information Systems/Information Technology/etc. experience with IBM mainframes as a Technical Systems Programmer I am really just the department token "old guy". I have a comfortable desk in a nice lighted area by the window and close to home. The boss is downtown about 25 miles away. No one really cares when I get there or when I leave. Occasionally they will ask me a question about something concerning the network but since everything moves at a snails pace and I am an anal retentive records keeper and documenter I almost always have the information immediately available. It gets boring at times but they pay me very very well and it supports my horse habit.

Susan is an Attorney specializing in Elder Law. This is a brand new emerging specialty that is really taking off (getting to be more and more of us old people). Business is good. Two years ago she opened a private practice after 20 years with the Crooked E company. It was a good ride while it lasted and they did pay for her law degree. Now she gets a great deal of satisfaction working with elderly people and their inherant problems and needs. Money isn't as good as the Corporate money machine but she's doing well and enjoys the work.

So, right now, things are good.

default_smile.png

Al --

Elder Law, I know, is a growing market! My financial planning practice caters to the affluent senior market
default_yes.gif
:

Jill

Wow! What awesome jobs. Interesting to think all walks enjoy the mini's.

Well I am currently a Stay At Home Mom to 2 wonderful little girls... My oldest is 9, she goes to 4th grade on Monday the 27th, and my youngest is 5 and starts kindergarten on Friday the 31st. First time in 9 years I wont have a child here at home with me during the day. So the deal my husband and I made back when our oldest was born was that I get to be a stay at home mom until they went to school then I am to get a job. I already have one lined up and I start on the 3rd it is night shift from 9pm-3am cleaning at Healthworks it is a Physical training/fitness center. Then during the day after I get the kids up and off to school I plan on volunteering at their school for read-a-loud, school store, homeroom mom etc. I am also the vice president of the schools PTA. Then after all that is said and done I have 8 horses 7 big horses and 1 mini (who is in foal for a 08 spring baby) get the rest of my time.

My husband Kenny actually got me the job as the company he co-owns does all the maintence and upkeep on all 6 of Healthworks buildings. My husband and a friend co-own JT Renovations and contracting. They do everything from maintence, repairs, room additions to building houses. You name it if it needs built or fixed they do it. He just cant seem to find the time to finish building our house so we can get out of this very cramped small trailer.

Sherry

Wow, you all have such interesting jobs! :new_shocked:

Mine's pretty plain actually! I clean homes for senior's and take them shopping, hairdresser's and today I took one lady to have a caterac (sp) removed.

I love listening to their stories of the old days and I love the fact that they trust me. :bgrin

Back