What's Your "Day Job"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
It's always fun to hear what our members do for a living! Most of us do something other than horses to keep us in horses :bgrin

What do you do for a job?

--------

I am a financial planner / money manager. My father and I have been business partners since 1995 and have a really nice office in Warrenton, VA and some wonderful administrative employees. I'm licensed as a stock broker and as a registered principal, which means I could go into a brokerage house and supervise the stock brokers and registered reps if I ever wanted a job I probably would not like (love working with clients). I'm also my father's supervisor in the eyes of the NASD! Though he does have the same licensing as I do. Additionally, I'm a registered investment advisor and a life insurance and annuity agent.

I have to say, if you'd have told Dad and I back when I was a teenager that my dad and I would be working together AND that I'd be in charge of making sure we do everything by the book, I do not know who'd have been more horrified -- him or me!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Our clients are primarily 55+ and retired or nearly retired with $1M+ of liquid assets. Before I came to work with my father (from banking -- mortgage loan officer), most of his clients were small business owners and I started out handling the group health insurance plans for them. Then we eventually came to specialize in the affluent senior market. We live / work in one of the best areas in the Nation to be in the line or work and market we are in and I love what I do!

Our website for informational purposes only is www.smart-money.net
default_smile.png
Lots of financial calculators and articles are available on our website which may be useful to some and fun for others.

--------

[SIZE=14pt]YOUR TURN!!! What do you do for a living?[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm a stay at home mom (SAHM), which is a full time job. I take care of EVERYTHING while hubby drives long haul truck. The pay stinks, but the rewards are great
default_wub.png
:

I work from home, a very nice bonus, since I herniated those discs several years ago. I do Reiki sessions at home and create lots of original design jewelry made from gemstones and crystals for the webstore. My dream is to have a cute little cabin up near the road to fill with pretties as a store. Maybe even have it on a trailer so I can travel a bit with my wares.
default_wink.png
: Need a nice name for it, I'm open to suggestion....

Oh and by doing this I can pay for any and all of my horse expenses! I like that.

Registered Veterinary Technician employed with Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine Anesthesia Service.

Basically, I instruct vet students on proper anesthetic protocols and skills so they don't kill anything after they graduate!
default_wacko.png
: I'm here to teach the student but PROTECT the patient! :new_shocked:
default_wink.png
:

My days are full. My nights are empty missing Michael.

Since the funeral last summer, I work from home. I used to manage our flooring store in town but under the circumstances where I "have issues" several times a day with neverending legal stuff etc, so I've been replaced at the store and it's better I work from here. I still do the paper work and keep the books etc. but I have no real contact with the customers any longer.

That's what I do for money.

These other jobs don't pay money:

I gave myself this job since no one else seemed to have it: Once a week now I walk around the cemetary and fix things like flower pots and decorations that fell over or got broken, or got messed up. I put flowers on graves of some that never seem to have any there or never get visited.

I also got back to writting and submitting articles for various magazines. I stock pile them and when the mood hits me I send one in to a mag every now and then. I really need to get back on track with that too.

Taking care of the horses has expanded into a big job now that keeps me hopping.

But the most important job I have besides being wife, is being a mom to Dan, the best mom I can be. Being a full time mom to the boys dispite other employment is the only job that has ever really mattered and that job pays off really big.

I take care of our farm here at home...I so love my "job"!! All day long it's dogs, horses and livestock! Back a few years I taught riding here, until I decided I wanted to concentrate on my own horses and continue showing them again. I thank God everyday. I can make my own hours, am my own boss...take breaks when I want to, and sit under the shade of the trees with a good book and some iced tea with my pups by my side, until I'm darn ready to get back to "work" :bgrin . What more could I ask for?

I have the best full time job ever :aktion033: taking care of my 4 guys (and hubby too) is enough to keep me happy and healthy
default_wub.png
:

I do work for a friend who has a farm equipment/building supply auction - I do payroll twice a month and get paid in supplies (like windows and flooring for our cabin, our 2 steers, our tractor and spreader etc - it works well for both of us
default_yes.gif
: )

I am a nurse and work for Correctional Medical Services which is contracted to the AR Dept of Corrections. I would never have considered working with the prison system before but now I love my job and got my newly liscenced hubby working there now also!! This barely pays for all my "habbits" with the horses, but it is a start.

Shelley<><

Gee I wish my guy would get a nice weekly paycheck so I could stay home...lol...

I am an Office Manager mon-fri for a business that manufactures industrial filters for the pulp and paper industry...pay is good for my age and education but of course I feel it's never enough
default_rolleyes.gif
: I suffer from not being able to go to bed early enough, and getting up too early...sure wish there was a 2nd shift job out there for me lol! But it is nice to take my weekends and spend them with the ones I love...boyfriend included I suppose :bgrin

I LOVE my job..its right at home, I have no set hours, etc. I take care of all of our farm animals. We have 160 acres, and besides the mini horses and donkeys, we have goats, a herd of black and red angus, 5 standard size horses, then when I am done taking care of them...I get to come into a nice air-conditioned house, and be with my dog pals, Shado and Angell, they are my constant companions, parrots and the fish, Ohh..I also get to clean, do crafts, or play in the dirt with my african violets! Never a dull moment in my life..but I couldnt see it any other way. I also have a small tack shop on our farm, and would like to add country crafts to it eventually, plus I grow african violets,( a few hundred verigated varieties..not like the general store bought ones) Up until about 10 uears ago, I was doing training and lessons here on the farm....then I was introduced to minis :bgrin
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: Corinne

I work for the state of Ohio, only 8 years to go and I can retire with 30 years of service!

Right now, my job is testing changes made to the software that powers the Medicaid computer system. Not one I am happy with, but the pay and benefits are outstanding. I am currently 1/2 way through my 8 weeks of disability leave for a total knee replacement so for now my job is doing my physical therapy exercises and surfing the web from my La Z Boy. Gee, I am gonna miss this, I am enjoying all the leisure time, but I do miss getting out and driving and showing. I am going to the Eastern Regionals next Saturday to watch, looking forward to that and to visiting with friends.

I really envy you all that get to stay home and tend to horses (and kids!). I do usually take Friday's off, but am in the office 5-6 hours Monday-Thursday, and do a lot of planning work from home during those supposed "off" hours.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday night I work at Owls Head Golf Course washing dishes from 4p.m until 10-11p.m depending on how many people eat at the restaurant. Then Saturday and Sunday I work at Belmere Stables taking care of horses and work from 7-8a.m until 4-5p.m. I have thursdays off.
default_smile.png

Pretty much I am a stay at home mom, but I travel on the weekends singing. I sing with a Southern Gospel Quartet... we sing in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama... anywhere they will open the doors for us! Lol.

My hubby works out at a local chem. plant, and that's about it! I also do artwork and such for farms and friends.

Chris

I am currently a receptionist at a large TB Breeding Farm -- at one time I worked for IBM in Sales -- and for Petsmart in their retail store (was manager of the State Line Tack Dept).

I love my job -- but of course would rather win the lottery and not have to be employed at all - could certainly find enough to do at home with our furry kids (cats, dogs, goats, minis) and my husband.

My husband works for a manufacturing company on the production line -- they are part of the automotive industry. Of course you all know what is happening to American cars -- and production cuts etc.. so automotive related factories are cutting down all over -- some are closing --- and those line jobs are hard labor.

If we got lucky and could afford for one of us to quit working, I would prefer for it to be my husband -- as his job is much much more physically demanding than mine.

Fun to hear what everyone else does.

I work for Health Canada (Government of Canada) as Office Manager for the Product Safety Program. We regulate products for consumers, such as cosmetics, lighters, any food products, goods coming in and manufactured in other countries. One of the big things right now are the counterfeit products coming in from China and some that are causing safety concerns such as the tainted toothpaste that recently reared it's head. That is my job by day.. by night of course my horses, cats, dog and foremost my grandaughter. My grandaughter and daughter live with us and my daughter works mostly evenings so old grandma is it :bgrin

I'm first a mother and wife, then a web designer and photographer. I shot my first wedding last weekend and I LOVED doing it and LOVED the results, so I'm hoping to build up the wedding end of my photography business.

I work in Corporate Communications for a very large company :lol: :lol: :lol: specializing in media relations as well as internal communications.
default_yes.gif
:

Liz R.

I have been a Human Resources Manager for a major plastics company, a school district administrator and a full time teacher. Since the hubby and I don't have kids, I was able to 'retire' at the ripe old age of 38 and now I just substitute teach (high school) to pay for the horse habit. We love our simple life driving old cars and not eating out hardly ever, but we have a very high quality of life and that's the most important to us.

Back