What would you like to see changed at AMHR Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
Since AMHA is out asking how to make their show better, I thought I throw this one out.

AMHR is a great show, but what would you like to see changed, or what would make you more likely to attend?

For me - I wish it was closer. These big shows used to rotate the different areas of the country so everybody had a chance to have it fairly close. I understanding booking the venues etc., but wishfull thinking

I like that AMHA has different levels of Amateurs. There are some absolutely fantastic show people out there who by the letter of the law are amateurs, but they are better than some professionals and truly have a gift for showing. It would be nice to have a split for those who aren't quite as talented or haven't been in it as long. The criteria could be years of showing at the National Level, # of National wins, size of their feet, etc.

Not saying any of this will happen, just putting some thoughts out there.

Have fun!

I agree with you too Dana even tho I never and most likely will never go.

There's no way I'm driving that far! Im the very nervous type to step into the ring so showing up against another amateur that has shown for many many yrs, I wont waste my time or money. AND yes I know if I dont feel confident I sould'nt be there up against the big guns BUT It is suppossed to be for everyone right? And Im sorry if I rub anyone the wrong way, and its not always the fact BUT it dose happen, a lot, It dose matter whos holding the lead, not how the horse presented its self... IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that AMHA has different levels of Amateurs. There are some absolutely fantastic show people out there who by the letter of the law are amateurs, but they are better than some professionals and truly have a gift for showing. It would be nice to have a split for those who aren't quite as talented or haven't been in it as long. The criteria could be years of showing at the National Level, # of National wins, size of their feet, etc.
I agree about the idea of different levels of Ammy and why we need this, but LOLing @ "size of feet"
default_laugh.png

But, that isn't really a "Nationals" issue...it needs to be done at the local/regional level as well.
default_yes.gif

I really don't have any complaints about the show itself. There are things I don't like about where the venue is located in Tulsa, but that can't be helped...lol
default_rolleyes.gif

So I am thinking if we went by size of feet I would still be in the largest class given that size 7 or 7 1/2 seems to be a rather common foot size LOL

So glad it is not just me who types things like that
default_laugh.png
(but yes I get what you are saying )

Honestly I am not sure there is much if anything I would change about Nationals many complain about the long nights but to me that is well just part of a large show with 1700+ horses and heck you get to make some good friends when you are in the barn aisles almost 24/7

I'll probably get bashed for this one, but I would like to see separate classes for the shetland/miniature pony they show at Congress, then show at Nationals. They seem to me to be a new breed and don't really look the same as the smaller AMHR horses. I love the look, and if you can't beat them join them, but some of us are too old to change our breeding program.

It would be great if they rotated the location to various parts of the country from year to year. Its a long trip from Maine to Oklahoma and back. I would definately attend with horses if the location was closer. I believe that would bring out more horses and exhibitors. Just my thought.

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

This is really petty of me but I would like to see better awards! My local saddle club gives better rosettes and trophies at each show, then the year end awards make the championship trophies they give at Nationals look pitiful. And the open saddle club charges $8 a class, $20 for a stall and $35 for a membership, and its a 2 day show held at the Georgia International Horse Park four times a year.

This is really petty of me but I would like to see better awards! My local saddle club gives better rosettes and trophies at each show, then the year end awards make the championship trophies they give at Nationals look pitiful. And the open saddle club charges $8 a class, $20 for a stall and $35 for a membership, and its a 2 day show held at the Georgia International Horse Park four times a year.
This^^^^^^ I for one would like better trophies for the Champs and Reserves. The little heads are nice, but the silver plates I got back in 2007 are starting to RUST! I would love to see a bigger head for Champion and the small one for Reserve. I mean, look what AMHA gives out... THOSE are STUNNING. And how about bigger rosettes for the champs and reserves, too. I liked the neck sashes given out this year, but the streamers on them sure seemed awfully short for a National Champion ribbon...

And how about maybe doing the Obstacle/Hunter/Jumper classes in the warm up ring during the Junior horse classes or the Futurity? Since they have two sets of judges now (three if you count the Futurity judge) it can easily be done. Sure would save some time.

We usually go to AMHA Worlds, but did try out AMHR Nationals one year. There were a lot of great things about it, and it was quite fun, but the primary thing that has kept me from returning was that they did not adequately split the driving classes.

The fact that there were SO many horses in the ring at one time prevented us from getting many good drives in, which is a deal breaker for me. It's unfortunately just not worth it for us to drive almost 40 hours to drive in an arena crammed full of as many entries as possible and not even have enough space on the rail to properly show our horses. I think the problem is compounded a bit by the fact that there are many novice drivers. That in itself is not a bad thing at all - it's great to get new exhibitors out to the Nationals and get them hooked on it, but it makes it that much more important to not have too many horses in one driving split. I spent a huge portion of every class simply trying not to get hit rather than focusing on showing my horse. In fact I actually did get hit twice by other drivers, one of which resulted in an accident, luckily both incidences were in the hitching ring rather than the show ring, but it was still quite offputting. Fix that, though, and I would definitely consider returning - there are lots of super things about AMHR Nationals!

The one other suggestion I would have is work on making a Top Ten seem like a bigger accomplishment. Since the placings are announced 1st place to 10th place, there is no suspense, and by the time they get down to 7th or 8th or 9th, no one in the crowd is paying attention anymore and exhibitors are leaving the arena and it's hard to even tell what horses placed. The effect of all of this is to make it seem like no big deal to place near the bottom of the Top Ten - even though to most people it actually is a great accomplishment, especially in a large class. I know AMHR hates being compared to AMHA, but AMHA just does the awards so much better in my opinion - all the Top Ten winners are treated like they really did well. People are paying attention and cheering for everyone that places. Especially for kids and amateurs, I think this is important.

I love Nationals.
default_aktion033.gif
It is heaven to ME.
default_wub.png
It's worth the 30 hour drive to me.

I don't think I'd change much, maybe other then like Kim said in cutting the driving classes... But that can be hard when there are already 3-4 heats!
default_unsure.png

I realize that Okla is far - it's 14 hrs for me but the headache of moving it around is too much! Try to think of an arena that is big enough and air conditioned and all stalls connected with plenty of stalls...etc etc. There just aren't that many around the country. Okla is far but Fla would be much further for MOST people and so would WA. so there ya are.

Changes I would like to see is AOTE classes added. NOT Amt Bred and Trained but Amt. OWNED, TRAINED , & Exhibited. Some of us get a big kick out of training our own horses but it's really hard to compete against a horse trained and groomed etc. by a pro. then handed over to an amateur.

Do I like the late, late classes? - not really but again if we add more days people complain and yet a lot of people want more classes. Just no pleasing everyone.

I'd like to see them hold the line on charging the participants more. The thrill of Nationals just wouldn't be the same if we only had 10 or less in a class. Just placing in a class of 12 or 20 or40 really is a BIG DEAL.

I really enjoy Nationals even if it has a lot of politics and drama -- hey, it's a horse show.

The one other suggestion I would have is work on making a Top Ten seem like a bigger accomplishment. Since the placings are announced 1st place to 10th place, there is no suspense, and by the time they get down to 7th or 8th or 9th, no one in the crowd is paying attention anymore and exhibitors are leaving the arena and it's hard to even tell what horses placed. The effect of all of this is to make it seem like no big deal to place near the bottom of the Top Ten - even though to most people it actually is a great accomplishment, especially in a large class. I know AMHR hates being compared to AMHA, but AMHA just does the awards so much better in my opinion - all the Top Ten winners are treated like they really did well. People are paying attention and cheering for everyone that places. Especially for kids and amateurs, I think this is important.
I have to agree with that one! My filly was 10th in a large class and it WAS a big deal to me...but by then no one even cared in the stands...<shrug> And...I do like the suspense factor...to National Champion!
default_yes.gif

The fact that there were SO many horses in the ring at one time prevented us from getting many good drives in, which is a deal breaker for me. It's unfortunately just not worth it for us to drive almost 40 hours to drive in an arena crammed full of as many entries as possible and not even have enough space on the rail to properly show our horses. I think the problem is compounded a bit by the fact that there are many novice drivers. That in itself is not a bad thing at all - it's great to get new exhibitors out to the Nationals and get them hooked on it, but it makes it that much more important to not have too many horses in one driving split. I spent a huge portion of every class simply trying not to get hit rather than focusing on showing my horse. In fact I actually did get hit twice by other drivers, one of which resulted in an accident, luckily both incidences were in the hitching ring rather than the show ring, but it was still quite offputting. Fix that, though, and I would definitely consider returning - there are lots of super things about AMHR Nationals!

There are a lot of large driving classes - I agree with more splits maybe by height more. It's great to have so many wonderful horses out there, but it's like California at quitting time.

I also agree with the issue of going from first to 10th. As it gets down to 7th or so many of the folks are leaving the arena both inside and outside the ring. In AMHA they start at 10th, every placing gets their recognition, and stay in the ring until all top 10 placees are awarded. It's very presticious to get a top ten in either AMHR or AMHA, but AMHA makes it look more important.

Keep 'em coming folks! This is very interesting
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

For years I have been in favor of a novice class but cannot seem to get a lot of support for it. I hear something is in the works again (I will check on that)

But remember it will probably start locally and if no one enters those classes locally it will never be at Nationals.

Also remember if more classes are added (and no days added) classes go even later into the night.

Like the idea of different levels in amateur classes. I would love to see stallions and geldings separated in the futurity classes. The boys are no longer the same when the "manhood" is removed. Plus, with the start of the super-gelding program we need to promote them in all areas including futurity.

Just my opinion

Gina

Kim said:
The one other suggestion I would have is work on making a Top Ten seem like a bigger accomplishment. Since the placings are announced 1st place to 10th place, there is no suspense, and by the time they get down to 7th or 8th or 9th, no one in the crowd is paying attention anymore and exhibitors are leaving the arena and it's hard to even tell what horses placed.
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
I've noticed this when watching the webcast and it is indeed very disappointing. It makes the major accomplishment of a Top 10 seem like an afterthought, and for those watching we often can't even tell who placed as everyone is leaving the ring and the camera is obsessing over the Champ and Reserve getting their photos taken.
default_sad.png

Sandee said:
I realize that Okla is far - it's 14 hrs for me but the headache of moving it around is too much! Try to think of an arena that is big enough and air conditioned and all stalls connected with plenty of stalls...etc etc. There just aren't that many around the country. Okla is far but Fla would be much further for MOST people and so would WA. so there ya are.
Hey now, many parts of the country don't require air conditioning in September!
default_laugh.png
It really isn't a fair representation of the best in the nation when all the local folks get to show every year whether they belong there or not and some of the best in the rest of the country never get to go because it's always in Oklahoma. Seriously, can't it at least switch between a big western venue and a big eastern venue or something? Many other associations and sports manage it.

You'd also have less problem with those National driving classes being crammed with people entering "just because" if the qualification requirements were a little stricter. How on earth does showing at two shows and under a certain number of judges prove anything at all about your fitness to be at Nationals? I'm not saying we should limit it to only those who do really well, but perhaps there ought to be some sort of stricter requirements for qualifying than simply having enough money and opportunity to stand in the ring twice in totally unrelated classes.

Sandee said:
Changes I would like to see is AOTE classes added. NOT Amt Bred and Trained but Amt. OWNED, TRAINED , & Exhibited. Some of us get a big kick out of training our own horses but it's really hard to compete against a horse trained and groomed etc. by a pro. then handed over to an amateur.
Yes. If you want to support the true amateurs, the geldings, and all the rest, then support the kind of folks who buy one or two geldings and do all the work themselves. Those folks don't breed! I know I sure don't and it's frustrating to have raised my colt from a yearling, done all his training, prep and showing and not be able to enter that ammy class because I didn't breed him. I vote for AOTE!

Leia

I guess there might be some minor changes to make afew folks happy but for myself.. I wouldn't change to much as I LOVE this show, although a long drive for the show of the caliber the arena and grounds work wonderfully, I just love it and the time spent during the National Show !!
default_aktion033.gif

Hey now, many parts of the country don't require air conditioning in September!
default_laugh.png
It really isn't a fair representation of the best in the nation when all the local folks get to show every year whether they belong there or not and some of the best in the rest of the country never get to go because it's always in Oklahoma. Seriously, can't it at least switch between a big western venue and a big eastern venue or something? Many other associations and sports manage it.
Seeing the issues that Congress and the ASPC are having with a "rotating" show, I would NEVER recommend it!
default_new_shocked.gif
At least in Tulsa we know we have a beautiful, big show ring, numerous training/warm-up rings, stands, stalls, vendors, food, etc. It IS a far trip... But well worth every mile!
default_aktion033.gif

You'd also have less problem with those National driving classes being crammed with people entering "just because" if the qualification requirements were a little stricter. How on earth does showing at two shows and under a certain number of judges prove anything at all about your fitness to be at Nationals? I'm not saying we should limit it to only those who do really well, but perhaps there ought to be some sort of stricter requirements for qualifying than simply having enough money and opportunity to stand in the ring twice in totally unrelated classes.
Now I can only comment on this personally, but I know that I would not enter that ring if my horses weren't fit and WELL prepared for that class.
default_smile.png
If I knew my horse was only good for one or two driving classes a day, then that is all I would do. If I knew my horse was fit enough for the chariot class plus the open/youth/amateur/stakes classes in their normal pleasure class, then I would be confident enough to enter my horse in those classes. That said, sometimes you can't help those people that will pull a horse from the pasture and drive it to exhaustion.
default_no.gif
I see that locally all too often!

Yes. If you want to support the true amateurs, the geldings, and all the rest, then support the kind of folks who buy one or two geldings and do all the work themselves. Those folks don't breed! I know I sure don't and it's frustrating to have raised my colt from a yearling, done all his training, prep and showing and not be able to enter that ammy class because I didn't breed him. I vote for AOTE!

Leia
I do agree with the gelding thing. I love geldings!
default_aktion033.gif

I agree although I have never shown at AMHR Nationals. I've always been suprised at the ribbons, just not what I'd want to win for the time effort and money. JMO

Joy

I agree that AMHR needs better trophies and ribbons. This is supposed to be the top of the top show so better awards are needed. They also need to announce the top ten from 10th to 1st and leave them in the ring so that everyone can see who they are. After all, we work very hard to make it to the top ten to find out that no one is watching at the end. They also need to have an AOTE class like AMHA for amatuer owned and trained horses. In this day and time regular amatuer classes are loaded with horses that a professional trainer has had and it is nearly impossible to win anything. After all, the true amatuer is one that trains, grooms and shows their own horse. It is very hard work when you have a full time job, so we little people need a class that we can show in and have a chance. They also need to toughen up their amatuer rules and regs. Former trainers and their families should not be allowed to show amatuer.

Latest posts

Back