What to feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suemahree

Reaction score
As some of you know I rescued two mares in December and I have had some weight issues with one of them. I have doubled my hay feeding and up grain on Bea. I thought I had seen a small weight gain but yesterday I looked at her again real close and she seems real thin again, back bone and ribs I can still feel and she is seeming sunk in at the flanks. I am beginning to think she is having teeth issues with the coarse hay I have. My vet just had her spleen removed due to a horse accident and is unable to check if teeth need to be floated. So my guestion is should I get her on beet pulp or alfalfa pellets. And should I soak the alfalfa if you think this would help. I am getting low on hay due to trying to make sure she has enough. Please help. I will go pick up whatever you guys think would be the best, this poor girls acts like she is starving.

This girl I was told was 4 but she at this time is showing signs of being much older. This answers my questions and confirms the direction I thought I should go. I appreciate your info and experience.

I wanted to ask you what do you think about amounts of alfalfa cubes and the senior grain to start with. I have been so careful to avoid colic. Also I wanted to ask if my other mare who I believe is going to foal in the spring would also benefit from the cubes she is 27 inches tall and is also on the nutrena and hay. I have not been happy with my hay quality at all. To me it is more fitting to feed my goats but was all I could find in this area.

I feed twice a day so the amounts you may suggest for both would be split into 2 feedings and should I continue to have the regular hay available.

Senior equine and a supplement like enrich 32 or calf manna (which I now prefer) have not let me down regardless of the age of the animal. Hay also, of coarse. I like to ad warm water to the feed to make a mash in the cold months. Helps with keeping them hydrated.

I would give soaked senior feed and soaked alfalfa cubes. The cubes need about 30-45 min to soak, from my experience. I like to soak my senior feed for my stallion who has had weight issues. He also gets a tablespoon of veggie oil each feeding for the added calories.

I break my cubes up with a hammer in my mares rubber dish, that way they are smaller flakes. It breaks easily as the cubes are not very hard. I think it would soak faster for you as well. I don't soak because it is too cold here to do so.

Another product to consider, if you worry about feeding cubes [i have to soak any cubes I can get around here, as they are very hard.] is chopped hay in a bag. Many companies make a chopped forage in a bag, most have oil or molasses added to reduce dust, most are readily accepted by horses.

Here's a list of the ones I know (a couple are available at TSC):

TNT chops: http://www.tntforage.net/custom.asp?id=293934&page=12&shopperid= [i have tried this, my horses liked it just fine.]

Triple Crown: http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/forages-horse-feed-brands-horsefeedbrands [i tried the grass forage, well received, just not easy for me to get.]

Lucerne Farms: http://www.lucernefarms.com/ I tried the Hi-Fiber, it was available at TSC, it was well received.

Kent Dynasty forage: http://www.kentfeeds.com/products/equine/dynasty/dynasty.php [the forage product is at the bottom of the page.]

I usually feed pellets, as that is what I can readily get, I've not had any problems so far using them. I feed pelleted feed and stretch my baled hay with grass hay pellets. My furkids are all doing well on primarily grass hay, so only add alfalfa to the diet of my two hard keepers when necessary.

If you check ingredients closely, you can find varieties that don't have molasses added; but those will likely have oil added to reduce dust.

After everyone's good advice I went to the feed store and decided on purina senior with 12% protein, alfalfa cubes and a ground flax bran weight gain vitamin supplement. The guy at the feed store was really nice. He was familiar with minis but I told him all about the suggestions. The one thing he did say after I explained what her feet looked like was to take it easy on the cubes. Start with soaking 3-5 cubes mixing a butter bowl of the senior in it and a scoop of the weight gainer twice a day. Will have to introduce Bea slowly to the new grain pellets as I went out to brush her with a pocket full,, and she just turned her lip up at it. Now Maggie

After everyone's good advice I went to the feed store and decided on purina senior with 12% protein, alfalfa cubes and a ground flax bran weight gain vitamin supplement. The guy at the feed store was really nice. He was familiar with minis but I told him all about the suggestions. The one thing he did say after I explained what her feet looked like was to take it easy on the cubes. Start with soaking 3-5 cubes mixing a butter bowl of the senior in it and a scoop of the weight gainer twice a day. Will have to introduce Bea slowly to the new grain pellets as I went out to brush her with a pocket full,, and she just turned her lip up at it. Now Maggie

There are great suggestions here from everyone. For my mare I feed a senior pelleted feed - but the pellet breaks up easily, mixed with beet pulp and a cup of fat pellets, which also break up easily. For forage, she is given 5lbs. of alfalfa cubes - soaked at night, during the morning feeding she is given 2lbs. of grass/alfalfa hay. During the day she has free choice on the round bales in their pastures.

The evening and morning feeds are the same, just a change in forage.

Now this is for a 700 lb. pony mare. If someone could chime in with a healthy weight for your mare's height - then you can adjust from there.

In any event I would look at all the suggestions - but add in rice bran to her grain proportionate for her height and weight.

It takes about six weeks to see good progress on an animal that has lost so much weight.

Bea is 30 inches tall and I would say 200-250 pounds and Maggie is 27 inches tall and is probably between 175 and 200. The supplement also has rice bran in it. I hope I am feeding enough. 5 pounds of cubes would be to much for these girls I am going with 2 pounds twice a day and then a pound of grain twice a day along with their normal two leafs of grass hay at night and free choice during the day. I hope that is enough for these girls. I am real concerned about their weight espec. Beally with it being winter

Beas feet look like she has foundered Maggie looks like she has been treated a little better in that area. Thursday the farriar comes out. And according to the people at the grain store he is very good.

Perhaps this might help you a little bit on weight for your girls. here is a pic of my 31" stallion (he's in his teens), who weighs 175# (weighed on scale, and rarely varies more than 5# either direction from 175#). [Keep in mind, mares of the same height will often weigh a bit more than a stallion, they tend to carry more body fat, just like women do, its normal.]

The first two pics are almost 5 years old (can't believe I've had him that long, already).

Che` - july 19, 2008 - AMHR reg pic - left.jpg

Che` - july 19, 2008 - AMHR reg pic - right 2.jpg

and, this one is from this past spring on clipping day:

Che` - May 19, 2012 - haircut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is she dropping a lot of feed? That's one sign that she's not able to chew well. Not a sure thing, but something to look for.

Chandab Bea is about his size and thinner than him the way I am feeling her under her coat and you can tell just looking at her so the weight helps a lot so i would guess her 150 maybe. And wingnut going to have vet come out and see if they need floating as soon as she recovers from spleen removal from a horses riding accident.

Just stopping by to update everyone that has been such a great source of information. Bea has taken to her new feed and her soaked alfalfa cubes slowly but this weekend was a turning point for her and she loves it. Maggie is benefitting also. I have put her on a small ration of soaked alfalfa cubes and she is also looking a little better. It is to soon to see much of a weight gain but I can tell by their eyes that they are feeling better. And they really get excited for their food now. I was told when I rescued the girls that Bea was about 4. I was able to open her mouth and check out her teeth finally. She looks to be between 10-14. My vet got hurt on a horse back ride and had her spleen removed so as soon as she is able to do it, she is coming out and float her teeth. I think that will make a big difference. The farrier was suppose to come out last Thursday to do their feet but got tied up at the auction, so I am hoping he follows threw and calls tonight to come out tomorrow and get these feet done. I guess I should of taken them to him when I picked them up but they were so skiddish that I think waiting has been better although once we get Bea on a regular foot treatment the better she will be come spring. As far as Maggie goes her feet look pretty good, but are in need also. Thank you everyone for you advice. It has been a great learning experience but I think with all your help I have been able to make the best feeding decision for the girls. Have a great Sunday and give your horse a hug today.....
default_smile.png

Havent read all the posts but I would have their teeth checked as soon as you possibly can by someone who is knowledgable. If you are upping their feed and not noticing much improvement you can keep socking money into tons of feed but if they cant chew properly due to teeth problems, you are throwing good money after bad.

Is there another vet or equine dentist who could take a look and get their teeth taken care of?

I agree, I would feed Equine Adult or Equine Sr- its very easy to chew, even for a horse with few or next to no teeth and may help put weight on, and yes I agree with the alfalfa hay or cubes also!

Latest posts

Back