What small breed dog do you like?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I breed Pembroke Welsh Corgis. I actually have a litter of 4 right now. They are intellegent little dogs. I enjoy mine. My youngest male will start his show career around November when he reaches six months. I also have a miniature dachshund who is just our pet. I would suggest either of these two breeds for anyone looking for a small dog. We also had to put our 13 year old Yorkshire Terrier down a few months ago due to cancer. That is another breed that is very loyal and affectionate.

Josh

aktion033.gif
SHELTIES
aktion033.gif

Poodles picked me.
wub.gif

...but I'm thinking that my next dog (speutered pet) will be a rescued Pitt a year or so from now.

www.petfinder.com

Cairns are my all time favorite small dog but they are terriers so I do understand their idiosyncracies. They are not a dog for everyone but I think it's always best to find the type of dog that will best suit your lifestyle and temperment. Sometimes those kind of dogs just arrive in you life when the time is right. As I said elsewhere if this is to be a companion for your little girl dog, I've always found that opposite sex friends seem to get along better most of the time. Of course there is no way to guarantee it but it makes it more likely. Good luck and I'm sure you will find the perfect one for you and your dog daughter.

I love my pug. She is the most adorable dog I have ever had well ... next to my boxers that is. She is smart, sits in my lap as much as possible, is a guard dog, although you can barely hear her bark.

She sheds like there is no tomorrow I swear as much as I brush her she should be naked.

Is not a picky eater, She will eat literally anything I give her and some things I dont give her.

Has finally stopped chewing on my socks. Used to have to dig them out from under the bed where she would run with them when she got caught chewing on them.

I have a minpin, a schipperke, and a 16 lb poodle cross and love them all to death. they each have their own unique personality. they all chose me. i do not know what i would chose if i had to......

jennifer
saludando.gif

Well I am going to look at the min pins. THey seem like a reasonable price, dews removed, tails docked, papered and current on shots. Best yet, they are right in my town.

They only have 2 girls left. HOwever I dont think females will be to big of a problem, as Mitzys babysetters dogs are all girls.

Strictly big dog person here. But how's about just a mixed breed of some sort at the humane society? Love does come in all sizes, or does it have to be a dog? How about a _______________heck I dunno.

I want another dog for my other girl. I dont want a big dog either as they need more room and space then I have in my town home.

Shortie Jack Russells are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!
wub.gif

We have 2 little sisters and they are delightful!!!!!!

I do love Pembroke Corgi's too!!!!!!!

But really any breed can be wonderful and sometimes the mixed breeds are the best of the lot!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I have 4 dogs and would love a few more, there is always room for another good dog!
biggrin.gif

My 4 yr old daughter reading Dr Seuss to her Jack Russell in bed!!

Hellothere.jpg

Two of my favorite small dogs both come out of the Terrier Group.

Norwich Terrier

NWT-OU-0001.jpg

Norfolk Terrier

dogbreedsadv117.jpg

Although I have one of each laying at my feet as I type this these photos are not my dogs. I don't have any photos of my Norwich and Norfolk on my web space.

They are great dogs to live with and I showed them for years.

I LOVE my mini dashound, Bart is now 16, have had him since I was 5yrs old and I love him more than words could explain. This picture was him last year after me clipping him.

fa48111e.jpg

And this is Corky, a 8yr old Pug who is just too sweet and cute and I love him dearly too - he is really moms dog, but I guess that makes him my brother. I also keep him clipped to.

f37f7d69.jpg

My next dog will be a Chinese Crested, just have always wanted one, waiting till I get out of college.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were to get a small dog, it would either be a Cav or a Frenchie. I like Paps also but I would be afraid I'd step on it! Oh, and I love Cresteds also.

In the meantime though I have five of these "skinny" types to get ready for Saluki specialties tomorrow and Friday!

Shelley

Neil said:
Two of my favorite small dogs both come out of the Terrier Group.
Norwich Terrier

Norfolk Terrier

Although I have one of each laying at my feet as I type this these photos are not my dogs. I don't have any photos of my Norwich and Norfolk on my web space.

They are great dogs to live with and I showed them for years.

458487[/snapback]

I have always wanted one of these dogs!! But they sure are rare, and very, very spendy!!

DACHSHUND!!!!!!!!!

I love doxie!! About house training, a lot of little dogs are a little more difficult to house train because people tend to wait to long to take them out, or expect them to hold it too long. They are little and so are their bladders. ALso so people mistake submissive urination for not being housebroke, these are two different things. High strung little dogs, mini pins, doxies, chi. etc. can get to excited and as I am sure you all know sometime when you get excited it is hard to hold it.

Animal Planet has a great little thing on their web site. It is under the dog section, I think it is call dog slection...or something like that. anyway you answer 10 questions and it matches dogs to you. Kind of fun to do.

HEy Rebel you have the link for that?

THe lady that owns the two min pins is thinking about selling her 2 year old male as well. If she does that and he is friendly I might buy him and get him fixed right away. HE is already house broke so that would be good. However dont know if they are crate trained if not, the pup is the way to go. THe puppys are 3 months old.

Ashley said:
HEy Rebel you have the link for that?

THe lady that owns  the two min pins is thinking about selling her 2 year old male as well. If she does that and he is friendly I might buy him and get him fixed right away.  HE is already house broke so that would be good.  However dont know if they are crate trained if not, the pup is the way to go.  THe puppys are 3 months old.

459024[/snapback]

Ash my experience has been crate training adult dogs is way easier than puppies

...all the minpins that fostered with me had to be crate trained which they took to quickly it was the not going potty in the house that they never got
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
wacko.gif
and it wasn't submissive it was lets go play in the yard for 2 hours then run in the door and take a dump in front of the fireplace
ohmy.gif
wacko.gif

Just love our Schnoodle (miniature poodle x miniature schnauser). Excellent temperament, loves kids, no shedding, shares our bed, loves attention...a perfect doggie for us.

Latest posts

Back