What size to small to drive?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymiracles

Reaction score
I have a younger mare who is on the smallish side. I think she is right around 30" maybe, I want her to mature more before I do much with her because of her small size but I have seen people talk about those mini's under 30" and am curious, do you drive them? I would like to teach my mare to drive but how small is too small, she will always be with me and so its not like if I cant drive her she is gone but would like to put her to more use. Any opinions out there?

We have a 30" and a 31" gelding. They both love to drive. They are on the stockier side and have a lot of power behind them. We had a little mare that was really refined and we chose not to train her because she looked like she would break
default_laugh.png
but if she looks sturdy enough and you take your time to find out what she can do, she may just surprise you with what she really wants to do. Our little guys will go and go and go and go. We have to watch they don't over do.

I had a 29" gelding that went 6th at Nationals out of 46 in Country Pleasure.

Don't sell the little ones "short!!

I know a lady that has a 25" stud that is very refined and she drives him. However, a 48" shaft is a bit too big for him even though that is what she uses on him. He seems not to have a problem and seems to love driving.

A friend of mine got a custom built cart and harness for her little 28" gelding and her very petite 11 year old daughter drives him. It is just the cutest thing! I would post pics but he isn't mine
default_no.gif

This question seems to come up quite often. Some seem to think that the tiny ones can't do anything. It will of course depend on the terrain you are driving them over, but on level, smooth ground, you can pull 10 times more than you can carry on your back (or maybe more). Think of the movies where the little Oriental people who weigh maybe no more than 85 pounds are pulling rickshaws.

Here is a picture of my duaghters gelding, at the time this pciture was took last year he was 15 and he is 30 inches tall.

Rebel

I had a 29" gelding that went 6th at Nationals out of 46 in Country Pleasure. Don't sell the little ones "short!!
Oh Ruffian, do you know that you just MADE MY DAY??? I am training my Alladdin to drive this year and he is doing just awesome! I love this little guy and have plans to bring him to Nationals if I can in any way swing it financially. I got a small closed wheel Graber for him. Then when I hooked him to my open wheel Graber work cart, he looked pretty fine in it. So I know he will look fab in "his" cart. He is such a little fancy man, I am getting really excited to show him in harness. He is 29.5" tall, and his pedigree contains a virtual who's who in driving. I am expecting his first foal any day also, it is a big year for Alladdin!

Pangraf02.jpg

Oh he's beautiful! He will look great in a cart. My gelding was also a silver dapple and really stood out in the ring. Just an FYI - he had white hooves, and I painted them clear at nationals. Really made his feet show.

Best of luck with him - it will be great!!

Just an FYI - he had white hooves, and I painted them clear at nationals. Really made his feet show.
That would greatly increase the legginess of his look as well. Black feet on white legs, cut the legs off at the coronary band, and can really "shorten" the leg.

I had a 29" gelding that went 6th at Nationals out of 46 in Country Pleasure. Don't sell the little ones "short!!
Oh Ruffian, do you know that you just MADE MY DAY??? I am training my Alladdin to drive this year and he is doing just awesome! I love this little guy and have plans to bring him to Nationals if I can in any way swing it financially. I got a small closed wheel Graber for him. Then when I hooked him to my open wheel Graber work cart, he looked pretty fine in it. So I know he will look fab in "his" cart. He is such a little fancy man, I am getting really excited to show him in harness. He is 29.5" tall, and his pedigree contains a virtual who's who in driving. I am expecting his first foal any day also, it is a big year for Alladdin!

Pangraf02.jpg
That is a beautiful horse. Best of luck in 2009!

Latest posts

Back