What should I start with

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flamingstar

Reaction score
default_frusty.gif
: Hi all. I have a dilema. I've found some babies and they are totally different. I don't know wether to start with a falabella, or a double registered mini.

Both are beautiful. both are studs, and both are solid colours. Both have nice bloodlines, the mini has Komokos and Hobby horse and Blue Ridge in there as Grandparents, and the fal. has Argentinian lines. Help me
default_wacko.png
:

Flamingstar

This depends on the quality of the horses, and what your goals are with the horse. I'd need to see what the horses look like, and know what your actual goals for the horse are before i could possibly form any opinion on which would work best.
default_yes.gif
:

Do you want driving with action? Do you want the types that are winning at halter now? Maybe you just want to get into showing in general. The place to start is determining what you want to do, be specific, with your minis.

Then look and see what characteristics are most desired to be that type.

Then, if you don't have the kowledge to evaluate the foals, get someone that has been doing this for a while to help you.

Very true, and fair enough. If I could post a pic, I'd do it, but I also like your answer too barnbum. They are both last years foals, so right now are super wooly and it doesn't show them off much. I'm not aware of many shows in my area, but the sister if the mini was shown and did quite well.

Should I be looking for something that has had some training, or is it something that you can do yourselves? I need to send my riding horse away to get trained, but wondering if you can train your mini yourself to stand, are there any good books on that?

Thanks

flsamingstar

From what you have said I would say the one thing you shouldn't start with is a stud. I would be looking at gelding asap if you do buy a colt.

absolutely start with a gelding!! no better way imo to learn about miniatures then with a gelding
default_smile.png

Just a question as to why start with a gelding. I have 5 large horses and started off with the stud colts, got them gelded when they were 4 years old, and had not problems with them. They were really calm, and obeyed really well. Arabians to boot. I've done all the groundwork, and just need a professional to saddle train them. I don't want to ruin them that way, cause I don't know what I'm doing there. LOL. Just wondering what books to get to teach them to stand. I want to maybe breed to one mare, and see what happpens from there.

Thanks for the opinions, keep them coming. Is there an advantage to have a falabella over a mini? Which would be more desirable?

Flamingstar

When you are saying "falabella", is that the ONLY registry in which that one horse is registered? I personally would not consider buying a horse at this point that was not at least AMHR or AMHA registered, and preferably both, due to my interests and goals regarding breeding and showing. Falabella papers alone would be meaningless to me personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
falabella's are very much a personal taste in the type of horse. I personally do not care for falabella horses, so no I would not buy one. But you have to buy what you like and what you want in a horse.

In your first post you didnt say you had an interest in breeding. But I always recommend a gelding for anyone new to miniature horses.

If you are wanting a breeding quality stallion then I would be super picky and buy the best horse you can find and afford. And honestly if I just wanted to breed one or two mares I would just send my mares to an outside stallion.

Depends upon what you have planned for your new horse & IF that horse fits that need.. Will one of these do that?

The one will do for sure, and I found a beautiful mare that I am going to look at too.

The falabella is just with the one registry yet, I'm not sure if he can be registered in amha or the amhr. But the little mini is in both, and nice bloodlines to boot.

I may turn to showing, but not sure at this moment. If I was to do that tho, I'd look for a fantastic gelding.

Thanks again.

flamingstar

I agree, start with a gelding. Don't start out breeding, start out enjoying, and a gelding will get you that.

I will have to say gelding too, or a mare. My first horse (that was a miniature btw) was a 31'' 3yr old gelding. I would suggest a sr gelding to by the way bc they generally are easier to keep up as far as nutrion then say a weanling/yearling.

Find a senior gelding that has been around the block once or twice that you like and go from their. Like it was said before, what do you like. Solid ..pinto ...appy ..pintoloosa? Heights? Previous Training? Price Range? Just a few things to think about, so many more but those are some of the first things i would think of when purchasing my first horse. Of course current/previous health ext should be taken into consideration with your decision.

Welcome to the miniatures
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back