What is with all the 'show pictures' being very wonky??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secuono

Reaction score
I keep seeing most mini horse pictures, usually fancy sale ads or show horses (not in the ring, but adverts) where the horse is posed like a dog with hinds way out there miles behind and head 10 feet up in front, crazy slanted angles where the grass or fence line is seriously crooked and it's all just to make the back look as perfectly level as possible with all these little mind tricks, but golly forbid anyone notices the faults.

Why??

If you're horse is butt high, get over it and show it as it really is. Then breed for a better horse. Or a crazy long nose or giant head. I've already mentioned my dislike of the freaky long heads on some minis and how people just try to cover it up by distracting with a halter. It's a breeding fault and I don't think it should be over looked or misleadings used. Is it really that hard to get a nice, level profile of a horse?

I have seen some very perfect minis, posed nicely, proper sized heads, proper backs, truly looking like scaled down versions of horses and the background is level! So if these people can do it, there's no reason for anyone else not to as well.

It's just a massive pet peeve of mine. I hate looking at these pictures and they are everywhere.

I don't mean to or want to start an argument over this, I just don't get it!

Not everyone knows how to set up a horse "properly" or to its best advantage. Not everyone knows what good conformation is or what "show/breeding quality" is.

So yes, you're going to see it.

I actually don't see many photos of minis that are stretched to such an extreme...and in actual fact most minis do not look good when stretched to extreme. Your references to necks being stretched 10 feet out there is a serious exaggeration, since no mini had a neck that long
default_smile.png
--but I sort of know what you mean. I don't mi d the pose that shows some neck shape--I hate the ones where the horse has his nose up and out...that is not flattering to any horse. Not sure why so many people think it is.

However--I will say that if a horse has a poor rear end--a stretched pose does not hide it. Sometimes it accentuates the poor rear end (and badly accentuates it !)

A stretched stance does smooth the overall pose of a well built horse--it doesn't hide anything, it just gives polish to the pose. Many of those stretched horses do look just as nice when stood square. However--people who do not like a stretched pose cannot--or will not--believe that. They see the stretch and automatically think it is meant to hide something--they cannot see anything beyond the pose.

And yes--some people do pose their horses wrong because they don't understand how a bad pose can make things worse when their horse has some confirmation flaw--they THINK stretching will help, even though it doesn't.

Also--some photographers tilt their photos because they are trying to be artistic....I know at least one who does it for the sake of art, rather than to disguise anything--because in truth that person does not even recognize conformation faults in those horses!!

Is it you who has previously said that a show halter should be the same color as the horse's head? I still think that would be the ugliest thing ever--even on the prettiest of heads--and impossible on a loud pinto!--so we will have to agree to disagree on that topic!

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones I see that I don't like is the tilt and then you can use something as a ruler and measure the rear legs to the front, they are sometimes so long that they go to the wither or taller. If you tilt the image so the ground is level again, you see a butt so far in the air it looks like a baby warmblood that get tall butts as they grow up.

I'm noticing most minis seem to have very short necks.

Either way, just a pet peeve I had to ask about. I can't ask on the Facebook groups, they would blow up on me and take it too personally! You guys are much more personable and don't go loony on others. =)

Lol, yes I said that. But to me, with a halter or without, a loooooong nose is still very obvious. Gah, don't get me started on the shiny horse make-up! lol. No kind of halter that tries to show off the head better will help any (to me). But I'm picky like that, I notice the little things and then it bugs me! My gray mare and chestnut gelding both have same color halters, makes it blend in and at first glance seem like they don't have one on. Mini has a neon pink one...was the only color they had, lol!

Back