what is a good feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhaven

Reaction score
Hello everyone

What is your opinion for a feed that does not make a horse hot but has lots of calories for a weight gain.

My feed program does not fit a horse with this problem and I have one now that I need this for. This is a full size horse also.

Looking for opinion and suggestions.

Thanks everyone and hope you have a great holiday weekend.

edit: I am just getting her home. She has been in training and is thin. She is a little on the energetic side and needs feed that will not add to this. She is a 3 yr old and still growing and will be ridden and worked quite a bit to keep her going ahead in her training, because she needs it.

I am looking for a low energy feed but with calories.

Thanks for your help. I will see if anyone around here sells the to brands that you have suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know if you can get it but I have had good luck with gaining weight by using FrontRunner Summit.

I don't know enough about your horse to give advice but this winter my stallion lost a lot of weight due to stress so I added a small cup of sunflower oil and sugar beet to his premium pellets. It took a couple of months but he looks great now.

good luck

Renee

What is the horse getting now? Brand? Formula? Type (grain, pellet, texture)? Hay? Do you want to keep the horse on basically the same feed its been on in training or go with a whole new program?

In general, high fat feed (as long as its not also a high sugar/starch feed) or fat supplements offer high calories without making them "hot".

Do you have a picture of how thin the horse is, so we know if it needs a completely different feed, or maybe something summplementing the feed ?

Our local co-op sells feeds that are engineered by Kentucky Equine Research and they have one they call "Pace Maker Gold". It's a sweet feed that has 10% protein, 8% fat, and 9% fiber. Horses love it. Something along those lines might work really well for the situation. The KER feeds are milled around the country, but I think the co-ops brand them with their own names (ours uses Pacemaker as the name). Good luck!

As a self-proclaimed feed snob, I am in LOVE with Omelene 500. It's really great stuff! The hardest part about feeding it is getting your hands on it, as not many places carry it. After much irritation and a few trips to the feed store on which I came out empty handed and had to go over to Kansas to get feed, I finally talked to the store manager at my usual feed store. Now, I just call them and order on a Monday and it's in by Wednesday. It took some doing, but we worked out getting ahold of it and it is absolutely worth all the hassle I had to go to to get it regularly.

I also love the Omolene line. Mine all get Omolene 200, but I topdress my arabian's feed with ground flaxseed, the BEST source of healthy added fat I have every used! I get Nutraflax, which has added calcium in the right ratio for proper absorption by horses. You can order it online and they ship it for free. Added benefits are nice shiny coat and mane/tail and healthy hooves. Also helps prevent sand colic and can be used instead of metamucil or sand free for that purpose.

I could give you a list of good foods a mile long, but it also has to do with your location and what your feed store carries that will always be readily aviailable to you. No sense looking for a brand that you have no access to. For instance, I have access to Purina and Nutrena, but nothing else. So why not call your local feed stores first: Then come on back here and tell what brands you have to work with. That would be so much easier to put recommendations on. Post a picture of your horse too!
default_biggrin.png

I agree with Marty- start with your local feed stores and see what is available. Then I would go one step further and contact the nutritionist(s) for the available brands. Your feed store, the product website or your vet should be able to provide the name and contact information. I buy Nutrena feeds because that feed store delivers every 2 weeks for a nominal charge (was free, now $6) and I have spent LOTS of time on the phone with the local nutritionist. They know the area (for example if you are low in selenium which we are) and their feeds, and should be able to help once they know exactly what your issues are. And it is FREE professional advice. Of course you can also get good advice here too, but why not get an extra opinion if it's free?

Back