What does "show home" mean to you..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Show home to me means showing at any level particularly because if Registry shows are what sellers want they would never sell to Maine we have no registry shows in this State YET There are two registry shows in New Hampshire and so far they are going to both be on the same day at different locations one AMHA and one AMHR. So that is one show within 5 hours that we could attend. I am very happy to sell to homes that are showing locally if and when I decide to sell anyone.

When I sell a horse to a show home it means the horse can hold its own in rated shows and be able to compete at the national level. As for the shows in NH, Maple E will be holding one Memorial Day weekend. We are still working on the details and encourage everyone to become members and join in the fun. If you need further details you can either e-mail myself or Diana. When I started showing in this area there was a good AMHR club that held great rated shows but then started dying out and held non-rated shows. For many years in order to go to a rated show I trucked to NY or DE. Also for several years I was the only one in this area to go to nationals. Its really nice now that more people are interested in AMHR in this area and more and more are going to nationals.

I believe Fred when she says she was the only one going for a long time. There were only three of us from Maine showing at Nationals this year. (fred is from NH) Northern New England is just catching on! lol We'll do the Maple E show and I might actually make it if I'm not stuck at home on mare stare.

Now back to the subject...

I've read "discount to show home" and have often wondered how much would they really offer? If I thought it would make that horse affordable (to me), then I would jump at the chance. I guess I'll inquire more often. I might qualify as a "show home" based on this discussion.

Would very many people consider us a "show home"?
In my opinion, I'd love to sell a horse to you! The fact you show mainly Pinto means that you would be showing the farm name and bloodlines of the horse you buy in a whole new market, sounds to me like an excellent deal for the seller!!

That said, we've never advertised a horse "to a show home only". My brother was recently lamenting that 2 horses we've sold this year who are great show horses are now in homes where they aren't going to be shown. But they're also in great, loving homes and that's really what matters!!

When I list a horse to a show home only, it means I want it shown at rated shows. It doesn't have to go to the National show, but I want to see it promoted. If that means, buyers who don't show pass on it, that's fine. I'm a small breeder in comparison to my training stable, so the foals that I produce that I can't show I want to see out there. I do offer discounts to show homes and the amount does depend on the quality of the animal and the amount of showing the purchaser does.

This also goes along with the term "private treaty". Private treaty only means that I have certain conditions that I want met for a certain horse. It in no way implies that the animal is super expensive!

When I sell a horse that I prefer to go to a show home, it is to a home that shows at rated shows. To me, the test of my breeding program is how can it stand up to the others in the rated shows, Nationals would be nice but not necessary. Thats why all my foals are futurity nominated. Non rated shows, like the open shows here in VA , the fair, the Virginia miniatures shows.... when there are only 20 or so entries total, maybe 3 geldings or mares etc... it isnt hard to become a grand champion there... also lots of those shows dont even have mini judges. We had one judge a couple years ago at the fair that only put up small, no matter what, even made a dwarf foal grand champion..... that doesnt serve me as a measure of how my program is doing.

Thankfully the horses I recently sold are going to show homes, or homes where the mares will be used to produce show foals.... I woldnt mind haveing one of my mares I owned become a superior dam as opposed to HOF herself. That still shows the proof of the pudding of my program.

To me, show home prefered is what I like to use, or as I recently did, Show home incentive, took half off a colt because I knew he was going to promote my farm at a national level.

Lyn

On a bit of a different note, have any of you sold a "show quality" horse to someone who said they would show (and possibly even received a show discount) and then didn't follow through? I realize there's no guarantee or way to make the buyer show the horse but what if this happens?

I would think this would be very decieving for the buyer to lead on the seller and would be very disappointing for the seller to realize that their horse won't be out in the public's eye. I have been very fortunate to sell to buyers who did show as they had promised but I have known of other breeders who have been very disappointed when the buyers of their "show quality" horses have not held their end of the bargin (with no legitimate reasons for not showing either just didn't bother).

I don't advertise my sale horses as "show homes only" instead becuase I do want my horses shown, I sell them with a show incentive, meaning if they never show the horse fine, but if they do I will reimburse up to $250 worth of show fees on that horse at any sanctioned show. Even if it takes them 2 years to reach that amount, or 10 years for that matter. And I could care less if it is a trainer or the owner or thier kid, it can be open, amateur, or youth class....yes the object is to promote my farm name. If they never show the horse again after the $250 I am fine with that also.

We offer great incentives as well. We offer reimbursement of show expenses to a certain amount. We also offer great training incentives if the animals are left with us (like no monthly expenses....) Each case is different based on the buyers request and the deals that are negotiated.

Very interesting thread. I agree with most that "show home" can and does mean a variety of things and the best thing to do is to ask (if you are the buyer) and clearly state (if you are the owner) what the definition means to you.

We had a few outside mares bred to Corona and because we want to promote him, we offered "rebates" of the associated fees if the resulting foal was shown. So, if shown locally, we would refund a small portion all the way up to a total refund of the breeding fees plus paying for their classes at World/Nationals if the foal was shown there. So, to us a "show home" can mean local, open, regional and/or national level, but obviously the more they are shown, the more advertisement my stallion gets.

When I've purchased horses on a "show contract" it has stated in the contract that I will either show myself or place the horse with a trainer at sanctioned shows.

It cost a TON of money to show horses, whether you're doing it yourself or sending them to trainers. I think a buyer should get a discount for promoting the seller's farm name. People like me who are still relative newbies need all the positive press we can get. If someone is going to show one of my horses, I am going to make it as easy for them as possible. In turn, I look for a discount when I'm buying a horse to show since I'm going to be putting money into someone else's advertising budget.

Just the way I see it.
default_yes.gif

We purchased a mare several years ago “Sunbreak’s Latte Tyme” (daughter of Celebration’s Tennessee Tyme aka Tymer) from our future partners under a show contract. They took $1,000 off of her purchase price and we showed her as far as she could go and ended up bringing home a Reserve World Championship from to the AMHA World Show last year. So we are thrilled we weren't scared away by signing a show contract.

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back