What does "show home" mean to you..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
I see "show home only" in an ad and I tend to assume the seller wants the horse with a trainer and/or shown at the National/World level. But maybe I am wrong? We show, mostly at Pinto shows, but also AMHA and plan to expand to AMHR shows. We also like to take our minis where they will be seen by people other than mini-owners - e.g. open shows or driving events. We don't want our horses with a trainer (no offense to trainers) because we like our minis where we can see them daily and train them for performance events. Plus we enjoy doing the work ourselves and learning as we go. We may never go to a World or National show as they are all so far away. Would very many people consider us a "show home"?

If we were selling, we would be happy to have someone who showed horses the way we do, where they could be promoted in a local market area and not necessarily go to Nationals or Worlds.

What do you consider a "show home" to be? Are you one? Do you ever put that in your ads? If so, what do YOU mean?

To me it means they obviously want the horse to be shown and promoted. I've purchased a few horses and received a show home discount on them myself which is very much appreciated
default_yes.gif

Currently, i have a weanling colt that is a half brother to my stallion and to the other colt i will be showing next year (all three half brothers), and the colt i am going to offer for sale next spring i would like to see go to a show home and be promoted in order to help promote my stallion.

I dont think a show home means you HAVE to take the horse to Nationals or Congress or anything like that, unless of course that is stated upfront or said that a SERIOUS show home only is a must, then to me it is obvious they want the horse shown at Congress or the National level.

OK , no flames please but when I see show home only I think of them as wanting that horse shown in Nationals and World shows in order to better promote their farm name, other wise what difference would it make if the horse is only shown at local fairs or not at all ?
default_unsure.png

When I see Show Home Only in ads I think it just means that they want the horse to go somewhere where it will be shown because they feel that the horse has potential. We dont show because we are not set up for it but I did recently sell a mare and a stallion to a home where the people are planning to show and I am VERY pleased with that as I think it would be nice to see them in the show ring (and NO they do not sport my farm name so wouldnt be promoting my farm name <grin>). I know that when I see show home only on horses I generally do not inquire because I am not set up to show. Both my husband and I work full time and we really enjoy our horses but are not set up money wise or facility wise to be a show home (at this time - maybe in the future though).

When I sell a horse I would like to see it shown -- I would like it be shown to whatever extent the buyer can do. If it is locally fine - lots of people see the horses at local shows-- IF it goes on to Nationals etc, then of course so m uch the better But I uowld consider you a "show home". I do like to see the horses we raise promoted somewhat so that others can see what we produce.

Not everyone can or wants to acheive the National show level.

OK , no flames please but when I see show home only I think of them as wanting that horse shown in Nationals and World shows in order to better promote their farm name, other wise what difference would it make if the horse is only shown at local fairs or not at all ?
default_unsure.png
Not flaming, but, you can still promote a horse without taking it to the national, world or congress shows. There are plenty of AMHA, AMHR, ASPC shows out there that are rated. I show AMHR/ASPC and attend ASPC Congress, have not made it out to Nationals just yet, but when i see a breeder sale a horse to a show home only, for the most part i would imagine they want it show amha, amhr or aspc. There are allot of horses that have not gone to Nationals, Worlds or Congress that i can name off the top of my head and know of them
default_yes.gif

When I will be offering my foals, I may prefer show homes for some of them. But, the definition of show home would probably change for me depending on the horse. I wouldn't under estimate the mileage I, as a new breeder, could get from selling some nice foals to LOCAL show homes -- where they may do open shows, the fair, some of the closer registry shows.

When I see "Show Home Only" Even if the horse is in my price range I am looking for, I pass it by because I figure it means they want the horse shown extensively and I personally do not have the money for that. I can hit a few shows but more than that, I can't. I think a person is really limiting their buyers when they say that.

I bought one a couple of years ago that the ad read "show home" and we were exactly what

the breeder was looking for. We do about 9 - 10 shows per year, sometimes go to Nationals.

Certainly not a trainer or "big" name.

The bottom line is, your barn name gets noticed at shows, especially if it's a nice horse.

I don't think it means that exclusively (world/national w/trainer).

To me it means someone that will take the horse and compete with it, whether that be at open shows (i.e. not breed associations only), breed shows, local shows or even CDE, or parades as well.

I want a home that will truly interact with some of these horses (most of them, actually, as I breed my horses to have good temperaments and physiques to DO, and most of them really do enjoy the interaction), not just toss them in a pasture (to me that tends to lead to neglect be it intentional or unintentional).

As far as I know, only two horses have really ended up that way (left in a paddock to its own devices).

Both were removed from their homes and rehomed (one with me, one was found by another kind soul before I knew about it). Both were, originally, sold intact, and subsequently gelded. Now both of them have something to do, and are enjoying their lives more.

Myself, I am willing to negotiate the terms of any sale, if the person is reasonable. That includes price. It does not hurt to ask. Things change all the time.

Interesting to see others' points of view on the term "show home only."

Liz

I've advertised horses as being 'show quality' and 'prefer show home', but I certainly wouldn't refuse a sale to someone if they didn't plan to show! You never know what the future holds and that buyer may end up showing in the future especially if they are new and just need a little time to get their feet wet.
default_smile.png

It sounds like it really depends on the seller and what they mean by the term "show home only". I would love it if people that buy my horses would show them. It gets your farm name out......even at a local level! I don't think I'd ever put that restriction on a horse I have for sale though. I might say they're a good show prospect and I might even discount the price if someone wants to promote the horse and show it.....afterall, it's like free advertising for me! Mary, I would definately consider you a "show home" though.....you do the same type of shows that I do!
default_biggrin.png

Hmmm... this is VERY interesting, because I too have always passed up "show home only" horses, because I didn't think I did enough to qualify. I mean, we do about 7 shows a year, most rated, some open. My goal is to next year attend the AMHR Area I show. Obviously, I've never been to nationals/worlds. I mean, my goal is showing, and we do so quite successfully. But I always thought that meant 'you-better-be-bringing-this-horse-to-nationals-or-else'. So this is neat to hear.
default_yes.gif
default_laugh.png

Rather than the term, "show home only" I use "show home incentive" If I produce a horse that is really nice, I want him shown and am willing to reduce the price to someone who will promote it. At what level they promote it will determine the discount (such as if they are going to send it to a trainer, especially one I approve of), and then that agreement becomes part of the sales contract.

Above all, I want a good home for my foals, hopefully a long term home, and one that will consider the horses well being over a ribbon or title. I would not let a phrase in the sales pitch veer you away from a horse you are interested in as often through personal contact, an agreement can be made.

These are my feelings anyway.

I find this thread very informative and interesting too.
default_yes.gif
I've always considered a "show home" to be one that shows at rated shows, whether it's one per year or a dozen, and haven't ever considered the Nationals/World part of it. It's interesting how so many of us see the same phrase in so many different ways-- guess we shouldn't be afraid to ask questions huh, whether it be "show home" or private treaty" or whatever. We might be very pleasantly surprised!
default_smile.png

default_unsure.png
You don't need to show a Nationals to earn a Hall of Fame and having one of your breeding in the Hall of Fame is a HUGE amount of promotion for a breeder! Just think - the National Champion picture will only appear in the Journal that once but that horses name will appear every year when the roster of Hall of Fame's is printed in the Journal....
default_yes.gif

Having your horses name show up in the Top 10 All Star's is great promotion too and also doesn't require showing at Nationals!

Having your horse shown in Open shows puts your name out there to an entirely new market. Having your horse shown PtHA also has the potential to open new markets. Same goes for the various type of driving events.

All of these are type of promotion. Local promotion generates sales and name recognition too.
default_yes.gif

When we bought our fisrt 2 horses, we weren't sure if we would be showing. As it turned out, we show as much as we can. We do about 7-10 shows per year, also attend AMHR Nationals. I would consider us "show home".

To me, the term "show home" refers to someone that shows, on any level.

If I feel my horse is show quality I like to mention that in my ad, and say that a show home would be preferred, but usually add that all good homes will be considered.

If I find a show home that is also a good home it is a win-win for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lewella for pointing out about the Hall of Fame, I didn't know that you could get to the Hall of Fame without going to the National levels. It is very confusing for someone just starting out .
default_wacko.png

I have always passed up ads that say " to show home only" , thinking that the breeder was looking for a National title to display. I mean, when I see a breeder advertising, the word " National" this or that is almost always present so why would anything less be acceptable for what they want for thier horses? I started out just wanting mini's as pets but now am going to try my hand at showing this year, starting with just one or two local shows. So is that enough to make mine a show home? I will be in the market for a nice Appy filly come spring and don't want to miss one because of a show home only clause .

Also, for whatever it may be worth, I would imagine when it comes down to it, I will have some foals that based on what I think their personalities / dispositions may be like, where regardless of their physical quality, I may prefer that they go to Family homes vs. show homes. Some of my geldings in particular, have personalities where I think they as horses enjoy being pets and driving (ie being a "family horse") more so than being out in the show ring.

Latest posts

Back