What color is this filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Reaction score
I had this filly tested for silver and Cream here are the results.[ Cream Dilute] NCr Heterozygous.Single dilute. Horse carries one copy of cream dilute gene...........[silver Dilute]nZ Heterozygous. Horse carries one copy of the silver dilute gene.

Her color options are listed below which do you think she is ? Do I need more testing done? Her dam is a cremello and sire is a bay roan either sire or dam must carry the silver too. Hope the pictures are clear enough to see her color. Thanks for any help.

14.58% - Silver Buckskin

Ee/Aa/nCr/nZ/ = 8.3338%

Ee/AA/nCr/nZ = 6.2503%

2.08% - Silver Smoky Black

Ee/aa/nCr/nZ = 22.0834%

50_1_Cnv0239.jpg

50_4_Cnv0217.jpg

50_2_Cnv0221.jpg

Silver smoky Black for sure...She looks just like my filly who is silver smoky black... only my filly is homozygous black as well.

Lets see if I can get a photo of her to post...

This is a photo of her now... I will try to add a photo of her as a baby soon.

Galadriel300_3111.jpg

I thought so too Freeland , the coat color predictor says 14.58% silver Buckskin and 2.08% silver Smokey Black

Is there a genetic test, that will tell for sure which she is?

Silver smoky Black for sure...She looks just like my filly who is silver smoky black... only my filly is homozygous black as well.Lets see if I can get a photo of her to post...

This is a photo of her now... I will try to add a photo of her as a baby soon.

Galadriel300_3111.jpg

Thanks for picture Julie, that sure does look like her color, do you think my filly is roan too, her head sort of looks like a roan but, you can't see any frosting on her body I guess the silver makes it hard to see.

I thought so too Freeland , the coat color predictor says 14.58% silver Buckskin and 2.08% silver Smokey Black

Yes, you can test for Agouti. Black is obviously there. Addition of Agouti would make Bay, Cream would change that to Buckskin, and Silver would make Silver Buckskin.

Yes, you can test for Agouti. Black is obviously there. Addition of Agouti would make Bay, Cream would change that to Buckskin, and Silver would make Silver Buckskin.
Thanks Freeland , I will test her for Agouti just to be sure.

And these are photos of Azariahs Absolut Galadriel at one week and a few months old..... Her sire was silver smoky black and her momma a bay.

I didn't check for Agouti in her... maybe I should... but she doesn't express the agouti...

Songcatcher... would she be considered Silver Buckskin if she carries only ONE agouti... I have a chestnut mare that is AA which means she is homozygous Agouti... but you could never see it on her. But breeding her to a homozygous black stallion we will get bay for sure.

Galadriel at 1 wk

Galadriel1wkold08sm.jpg

Galadriel at about 3-4 mos old:

Galadleft7-08sm.jpg

Songcatcher... would she be considered Silver Buckskin if she carries only ONE agouti... I have a chestnut mare that is AA which means she is homozygous Agouti... but you could never see it on her. But breeding her to a homozygous black stallion we will get bay for sure.
Yes. Agouti always expresses on Black but not on Red.

I'd go for Smoky Silver Black too, even though clipped pictures are hopeless for telling colour!!

What pretty animals, btw, all of them!!

Galadriel is really cute.

Do they need a flaxen mane/tail to be smokey silver black? That's what folks thought Tucker is, but he's not flaxen by a long shot.

Thanks, Freeland. That describes Tucker perfectly. I don't care enough to have him tested--esp since he's getting gelded tomorrow, but that was what most thought he was when I posted pics this summer. I'll post again once he sheds out and see if it's still the consensus.

I think he may be a Smoky Black, no Silver.

No Dun either, even though it looked as if he had it when he was born, I am pretty sure that is a false dorsal......

Latest posts

Back