What color do you think this little guy will be?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyluvsminis

Reaction score
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr281/g...yandbaby009.jpg

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr281/g...yandbaby008.jpg

This is 1 week old colt, "Spider" (due to his long legs!). His sire is a B&W frame overo Shetland, recently registered as a mini.

His sire's sire is also a frame overo. My vet says this gray color will go black. He has a dark dorsal stripe, that comes down into a cross on each side. There are differant shades of gray on him. Some areas are a silvery white,-- on his underbelly and the backs of his legs, and a stripe between his hind legs and belly. Will this turn into white markings? What color do you think he will be? How long does it take for the permanent color to show? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also suspect hes a black. My black foal was born the same color and as they shed the foal coat the black coat comes in. No it will not turn white. White markings are there from the beginning on an overo or pinto.

Looks like he has white socks so probably a minimal expression tobiano but you can always test for LW to be sure

The mare produced four B&W fillies before I purchased her! I will re-breed her to my own B&W pinto stallion, and if she doesn't throw color next year, she'll be "making mules" forever! LOL! Did I mention, the mare has lots of paw prints!

He looks Black minimal Tobiano to me, but of course unless you are gelding him you should test for LWO....it can be sneaky.

Black foals are always born that smoky colour, if he were Grullo (Black Dun) one of his parents would have to be Dun.

You can test Mama for H/Z Tobiano, but the "paw prints" are no indication and anyway, technically, he is Tobiano....that's the thing with zygosity, it only guarantees pattern, but not the amount of pattern.

He looks Black minimal Tobiano to me, but of course unless you are gelding him you should test for LWO....it can be sneaky.Black foals are always born that smoky colour, if he were Grullo (Black Dun) one of his parents would have to be Dun.

You can test Mama for H/Z Tobiano, but the "paw prints" are no indication and anyway, technically, he is Tobiano....that's the thing with zygosity, it only guarantees pattern, but not the amount of pattern.
I had heard that if a horse has paw prints, there is an 85% chance they are homozegous. Old wives tale? He will be geldied. Plenty of stallions in the world! Thanks for the info!!!

Latest posts

Back