Need help with color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniNHF

Reaction score
I have posted pictures of my boy when I first got him and he is registered as a sorrel chestnut but now im wondering if he might have roaning. He has this odd white patch on his shoulder but from what we know it sounds like his sire throws these types of birth marks. My boys half sibling is buckskin but has this black hair patch down one shoulder like he does in white but just an extremely larger area. But i have been noticing as well he has a lot of white flecks through his entire body and on his face. Could it be possible he is a roan? his dam was chestnut and his dad buckskin. I believe way back in his pedigree there was one or two red roans and I know there were a few grays in there as well.

His half sibling with the black patch. He was considered a "dark buckskin"

133.jpg

Here is a more "natural" picture of him but he is clipped. You can see the white hairs really well in this picture:

135IMG_7650.JPG

Picture of shoulder with white patch

135Robin-19.jpg

I also found something call "rabicano" . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabicano which isnt fully understood and debate on whether its a color or just considered a marking(s) etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what you are seeing is sabino roaning on your guy. I believe the rabicano gene will also leave the top of the tail white and I have seen it in a number of Quarter horses (seems to be a pretty common gene variation on a certain line that was popular with an acquaintance).

He may have roaning in his coat but he is not a true roan. Roans have a darker head and legs and roaning just on the body proper. He is lovely. Those 'birthmarks' are interesting. I had a chestnut stallion that had a darker mark on one entire front leg and a small mark on one hip.

Thanks for the reply back; yeah I did see the mention of the top of the tail white and he doesnt have that only the light color on the sides of the tail. Ive never had a chestnut especially with those characteristics. But funny enough my QH's great grand father Go Man Go was a sorrel with rabicano markings but was registered as a red roan

I think what you are seeing is sabino roaning on your guy. I believe the rabicano gene will also leave the top of the tail white and I have seen it in a number of Quarter horses (seems to be a pretty common gene variation on a certain line that was popular with an acquaintance).

Thats what I figured that he wasnt a "true" roan. Havent owned any or been around really any now I think about it so I am not very familiar with them. But thank you for the compliment and yeah the "birthmarks" are interesting on the offspring that this stallion has produced.

Its not on all of them, I think, so far its just these two but some havent had pics updated. His half brother didnt get that birthmark until he was the age in the picture shown, when he was little he was dark like that patch and then lightened up. And I believe my boy was the same way, not getting that "mark" until he was slightly older.

He may have roaning in his coat but he is not a true roan. Roans have a darker head and legs and roaning just on the body proper. He is lovely. Those 'birthmarks' are interesting. I had a chestnut stallion that had a darker mark on one entire front leg and a small mark on one hip.

What pattern are his parents- I have seen this often in "suppressed" Tobiano...

What pattern are his parents- I have seen this often in "suppressed" Tobiano...
As far as I know his sire is a solid buckskin (I did see him in person) and his dam is a solid sorrel (didnt get to see her)

Sire:

13.jpg

Dam:

117Manners-0002.jpg

did some more research online for oddities with coat patterns and came across something called somatic mutations that arent necessarily passed on by parents. (Somatic mutations are the result of a gene that is accidentally switched "off," often resulting in odd patches of color on an otherwise ordinary coat.)

This horse kind of looks like Robin's sibling with that dark shoulder mark

josie-sept09.jpg

And a bay with a white somatic mutation

Horse_Lorando_B-_2big.jpg

hangnthestreakerlegclose.jpg

I think that could be a possibility as well for the explaination of his "white markings"

Back