What color?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secuono

Reaction score
Born blonde, now more dark brown/liver color.

4mo old yesterday. Mom is black/white, dad a nice red chestnut with flaxen mane and tail. Brighter red then my gelding.

Belleampherfilly62014-1.jpg

20140822_143249-1.jpg

20140822_143254-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks like a dark silver. I have 2 in the color that are shown in the last pic. I don't have birth shots of the one mare - just ones where she is similar in age to yours.

But the other one looked like this in 2010 as a foal -

7AmiraBottom3New.jpg

Like this when clipped -

Ami3.jpg

Then like this as a yearling in 2011.

7AmiraBottom4New.jpg

All the above photos taken by Ferin Mershon.

Then she looks like this now - with me. This one in 2013 in summer coat -not clipped out.

13aug3ami649.jpg

and like this in the spring in winter coat.

14mar28cuam7016.jpg

This color is known as silver black. The dam of the above filly is a silver bay (solid) and her sire is black frame overo.

The dam of that filly (yours?) in the 1st photo looks like a black tobiano pinto, so the sire must have a silver gene. He is either a silver black, a silver bay or a chestnut carrying a silver gene that doesn't show on "red".

Dam is not mine, sire is not mine.

Dam has a spot of white at the withers, tail head and socks. Sire is a red bright chestnut with flaxen mane/tail. Not at all like how my gelding is, dark chestnut. No clue about grandparent colors.

And yes, she will be my filly on Tuesday.

The mom is also available if anyone is looking for an older mini mare.

sire could also be a silver bay. Many silver bays "look" like a chestnut and many folk have a hard time telling the difference. Indeed, on some it can be difficult...

Congratulations on the new filly!! More pics of course once you have her home.
default_smile.png

Yes, of course I'll post tons of pictures once she gets home. Been fixing up the easement pasture and putting up a shelter. Kasia is moving in with her so the little baby will feel more comfortable and less nutty about finding a way out.

Latest posts

Back