What are some good book sagas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I am absolutely in love with Twilight and Harry Potter, and would like to find more "several book" sets. I'm not really interested in animal type stories, but more of the romance or fantasy kind (I love magical stories!). I was thinking maybe the Narnia books, but I hate the fact that they change the characters in them. Has anyone read them? And if so, did it bother you that the stories kind of shift?

Does anyone know of a good saga, and if so, could you share how many books are in it and the story line?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that Larry loves the different fantasy series by either Robert Jordan or David Eddings. He re-reads them periodically even! And of course there is always Tolkien!

If you liked the Twilight series, try Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampires series. They all have "Dead" in the title. I can't think of the first one right now, maybe "Definitely Dead." They are quirky with an off-beat humor, but a lot of action. It took me through the first half of the first book to really get into them, but then I couldn't stop! The HBO series, "True Blood" is based on these books, but of course the books are SO much better than the series. I borrowed Season 1 on DVD and did not care for the show at all.

And for laugh out loud, wonderful, easy reads, try the Number series by Janet Evanovich. It starts with "One for the Money." Each book in the series has the number in the title, so easy to keep track of. She is up to 15 right now. Each one has a good story, a love triangle to keep things interesting, but they are just straight up hilarious!

Another good series is the Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong. It deals with different supernatural elements, but has the same cast of characters and keeps developing their story. They are very action packed and a lot of fun to read.

Have fun! As you can tell, I love to read, too! Amazingly, I have yet to get into the Harry Potter series. I need to try that.

Barbara

You guys are wonderful!!! I'm looking into some of the ones that have been mentioned already. A friend just told me about Janet Evanovich, so her stories must be good. :)

I found a series called "House of Night". It's based on vampires. Has anyone read this series? It sounds really good!

Oh yes! The Robert Jordan series is amazing! One has to be very patient but there are only two left in the series to drop, so not as patient as those of us who have been following along with it have been. lol My husband turned me on to them in 1995 and I can't tell you how many times I've re-read them. So far, my favorite has been the last one that dropped late last year. The ending was so good, I re-read the last 7 chapters three times! I think there are about 12 books in the series now, without checking my bookshelf. They are HUGE books and very detailed. Wikipedia has a summary of the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

As far as Narnia is concerned, it is wonderful. I didn't mind the shifts at all. They are very easy to follow. If you are a fast reader though, you will plow through them in a couple of days and be thirsty for more.

Barbara, I wasn't as crazy about the Harry Potter series as most people. The first few books were pretty good. But, as it went on, it seem as though Rowlings was laboring in her writing. I shouldn't be able to read a book and feel how hard the author worked to develop a story line. That's JMHO.

You guys are wonderful!!! I'm looking into some of the ones that have been mentioned already. A friend just told me about Janet Evanovich, so her stories must be good. :)
I found a series called "House of Night". It's based on vampires. Has anyone read this series? It sounds really good!
I enjoyed the first three or four Janet Evanovich books, but they started to get very repetitive. The ones I read were very entertaining though!

David Eddings The Belgaraid series is really good, and Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality.

http://www.amazon.com/Belgariad-Vol-Books-...2856&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Pale-Horse-Incarnati.../ref=pd_sim_b_6

Yes! Robert Jordan!

BUT!!!!!!!

There is a set of 3 books that I have read MANY times since 1984!

How about a man dies on earth and awakes in another body and finds he is telepathicaly linked to a saber toothed Great Cat that he rides in a desert world. Adventure ON! It is AWESOME!

The Gandalara Cycle 1, 2 & 3

by

Randall Garrett & Vicki Ann Heydron

Oh yes, the Belgariad is wonderful! So is the Mallorean, also written by David and Leah Eddings.

default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
lol check us out, we are all nerds here. lol
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Oh yes, the Belgariad is wonderful! So is the Mallorean, also written by David and Leah Eddings.
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
lol check us out, we are all nerds here. lol
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
I havn't read the Mallorean yet, but it is on my list. I am reading the Outlander series now. And have about 10 books sitting there waiting to be read after that.

How about a man dies on earth and awakes in another body and finds he is telepathicaly linked to a saber toothed Great Cat that he rides in a desert world. Adventure ON! It is AWESOME!
Wow, that sounds really interesting. So he writes sci-fy? I usually read Iris Johansen (I have about 80 of her books - every book she's ever released in paperback), and although I LOVE the romance/suspense books, occasionally I just need to escape to a world of dreams.
default_wink.png

Stephen King's Dark Tower series is excellent, and his book The Stand is very good... It's not a saga, but it's long and involved enough that it could be. It's got to be longer than all the Twilight books put togehter. I did not really want to like Twilight, etc., but did (very simple writing but good story). The Stand and is very deep and with religious themes.

Another series that is good (I just finished) is Dean Koontz' Frankenstein ("the monster" is one of the series' heros!). There are 3 books, but supposedly he's coming out with a 4th this summer and there will be two more later. It was one I didn't expect to like, but really, really did. His Odd Thomas (4 books so far) and Chirstopher Snow (Fear Nothing and Sieze the Night) series are also good.

It's fun reading series or long books where you really get to know the characters
default_yes.gif

PS sort of off subject but as a long, long time huge Stephen King fan, I just about loose my mind with joy when in his books, he will mention characters (sort of as backgroud) from older books. It's like a quick peak at what they've been up to since you last read about them! Dean Koontz also does that, but not very often that I've noticed (a connection to Odd Thomas comes into the 3rd Frankenstein book.)

Koontz is my all time favorite writer. I'm rereading the Odd Thomas series now and have read the Chris Snow ones as well...love them both. Twilight series was ok...got sucked into it, but she just can't compare to Koontz.

just got an Ebook a few weeks ago and I love it...going on line and just downloading whatever I want for a couple bucks whenever I want...it's great. I don't keep my books...no room...so this thing is just awesome...it does save all my books I download online so I always have them available even if I've read and deleted them from my device. Plus I can make the words alittle bigger to help my aging eyes. I thought that reading from a screen would get to my eyes but it's actually easier on them, it's not like looking at a computer screen. Anyone who reads alot, I highly suggest one. I just got the inexpensive one from EBookwise...it's simple and easy to use and under $100...the kindle is nice but pricey.

Hey Sonya, I've been thinking about getting one of those, but I'm technologically challenged. Is it fairly easy to use? You are talking to someone who just barely knows how to upload a photo from an email and no idea how to do it from a digital camera.

Mine is very simple...does not do anything super fancy, does not have a wireless router...you have to plug it into your computer via usb port to get the books or plug it into a regular phone line. The brand is EBOOKWISE. It's on sale now for $99, regularly $139. The books range in price from their site, the average is around $7 for a bestseller, new release. ...They have lots of classics that are free too. One thing I don't know is if you can buy or download from other sites and put them on their device...they have thousands of books though. They seem to be a good company...I emailed them asking to buy an extra power cord to keep at our second house since they don't sell accessories online. They fedex'd me the xtra powercord and usb cord that day before I even sent them the check for $25...I thought that was awful nice of them. It was the cheapest ebook I could find...most were $200+. I really like it. Battery life is very good too depending on how bright you put the screen...the setting I have it on the battery lasts 24hrs and will totally recharge in about 2 hours. It also has were you can highlight a word with a stylus that comes with it and it will look the word up in the dictionary right there on the page you are at...very cool. It's about the size of the average paperback, but thinner.

We have exactly the same taste in reading, Jill
default_biggrin.png
Loved the Dean Koontz Frankenstein series and Odd Thomas. Love Dean Koontz period!

Stephen King's Dark Tower series is excellent, and his book The Stand is very good... It's not a saga, but it's long and involved enough that it could be. It's got to be longer than all the Twilight books put togehter. I did not really want to like Twilight, etc., but did (very simple writing but good story). The Stand and is very deep and with religious themes.
Another series that is good (I just finished) is Dean Koontz' Frankenstein ("the monster" is one of the series' heros!). There are 3 books, but supposedly he's coming out with a 4th this summer and there will be two more later. It was one I didn't expect to like, but really, really did. His Odd Thomas (4 books so far) and Chirstopher Snow (Fear Nothing and Sieze the Night) series are also good.

It's fun reading series or long books where you really get to know the characters
default_yes.gif

PS sort of off subject but as a long, long time huge Stephen King fan, I just about loose my mind with joy when in his books, he will mention characters (sort of as backgroud) from older books. It's like a quick peak at what they've been up to since you last read about them! Dean Koontz also does that, but not very often that I've noticed (a connection to Odd Thomas comes into the 3rd Frankenstein book.)

Latest posts

Back