Western Country Pleasure AMHR-Classic Pleasure AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the picture and link JMS, my husband would love it but it is a bit pricey for us right now too. I see that harness requiring a wooden cart or a small wagonette to look right. Gads, I could spend soooo much money if I only had it
default_wink.png

Thanks for the picture and link JMS, my husband would love it but it is a bit pricey for us right now too. I see that harness requiring a wooden cart or a small wagonette to look right. Gads, I could spend soooo much money if I only had it
default_wink.png

That harness just doesn't look "right" to me for a normal "show" cart . It sort of screams unless it's on a horse that it compliments or with a cart/carriage that goes with it.

And most judges do give weight to the horse that goes willingly and backs without a fuss. Although most horses do back without a problem, I've been told in the past, by a judge, that a horse I was driving would have been placed but "blew it" in the back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
That harness just doesn't look "right" to me for a normal "show" cart . It sort of screams unless it's on a horse that it compliments or with a cart/carriage that goes with it.

And most judges do give weight to the horse that goes willingly and backs without a fuss. Although most horses do back without a problem, I've been told in the past, by a judge, that a horse I was driving would have been placed but "blew it" in the back up.
Jane uses hers on a natural wood Jerald and it looks awesome! But I do believe it would clash on my black one....

All of this discussion about what the rules state and what the judges actually pick and all that...yeah BOOOO is all I can say!
default_no.gif
This is why I no longer will show my horses (big, medium, or small) in a class without a score card! At least I know what the judges liked and didn't like. Then I can choose to agree or disagree, but at least I know! I hate not knowing where to go or what to work on at breed shows
default_thumbdown.gif
...wondering if it is because someone has a thing against some color or friends with a trainer...
closedeyes.gif
Yep I need that score card to put effort into showing my fur kids!
default_biggrin.png

I hear what you are saying Brasstackminis, and that is one reason why I like to drive dressage tests or reinsmanship patterns. But I realize that limits where I can show, so I WILL enter "regular" driving classes, keeping a couple of things in mind.

1) I will not alter my training or my horse to try to second guess the judges. I will drive the way I think is correct and enter the classes where I think we belong.

2) I will remember that judges are human - and I might not agree with them - but there is always another show.

3) I will strive to get better, taking lessons or advice from people whose opinions I DO trust.

After being at a State Fair this past weekend I appreciate the judges that were judging the other animals why they picked this animal and what they liked about it and they would go down the list with each animal and say what they like about it but what they would like to see better that the 1st place animal had but this animal didn't. I think if our judges could take the time to explain why they pick this horse over that one how much better our shows can be. I think if we can have our clubs have a training show, with a knowledgable judge and explain to the exhibitors, paticularly for the youth and ammy would be awesome. Clinics are fine and all but I want to hear from the judges from a show.

That's called "Oral Reasons". The kids learning how to judge shows in Judging Contests learn how to do them all the time. It basically comes down to time in a show. However, I have been in a few shows where the judge feels the need to explain placings, complement the competition, etc. It can be very enlightening.

Myrna

Have been meaning to reply to this, just finally got a picture on the computer with the much discussed western harness.
default_smile.png
This is my western over horse - I love the harness, although it kind of disappears on a sorrel. Next project is to add wood wheels to the cart.

(Hope the photo shows up - first time I've tried attaching one to a post)

Jan

IndyGlenRose 001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back