weed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filipowicz Farm

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this is? I found some in a hay bale. I have seen it growing in the summer it's green in color then.

Cart_2-05-12_010__Medium_.jpg

Cart_2-05-12_009__Medium_.jpg

The docks and sorrels, genus Rumex L., are a genus of about 200 species of annual, biennial and perennial herbs in the buckwheat family Polygonaceae.

Members of this family are very common perennial herbs growing mainly in the northern hemisphere, but various species have been introduced almost everywhere.

Some are nuisance weeds (and are sometimes called dockweed or dock weed), but some are grown for their edible leaves.

Rumex species are used as food plants by the larvae of a number of Lepidoptera species - see list of Lepidoptera that feed on Rumex.

I see it too once in awhile, my horses just ignore it. Even when grazing in the field, they still eat around it.

I dont live to far from ya so its common here too.

Looks like what we call curly dock. It comes up in our bales now and then, the horses don't eat it usually, but occassionally someone will pick it up and chew on it.
default_wacko.png
default_rolleyes.gif

We have it here in MO also. Horses seem to just eat around it.

Back