Water consumption

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estelle

Reaction score
HI everyone...I was wondering how much water consumption is too much? Also, what are some of the things

that might cause too much consumption?

My mini is drinking a good 5 gallons a day...poop and pee seem normal, she has not touched her salt block since she has been her which also has me concerned..thanks for your help.

I think one of the things that can cause too much water consumption is Cushings.

Is the mare bred?

What are the temps like, there? Also what is her activity level. I don't know that 5 gallons is too much per day for a mini if they are running around in fairly warm weather.

If the output seems normal (wondering if the mare is outside or stalled), I would just keep an eye on her. Another sign of Cushings that I know of is a lot of long "winter" hair that never goes away.

Might want to run it by your vet, they could do a test or give you a second opinion.

Forgot to ask, what else she gets to eat. If she's eating a dry, pelleted feed, the 5 gallons of water a day is probably just helping to hydrate the feed. Also horses w/a dry hay as their main forage may drink more water than say a horse that gets pasture as their main forage as it has moisture in it, but this is just my amateurish observation, possible guesses as to what may be going on.

Liz M.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had riding horses for over 40 years, but this is my first mini so I wasnt sure what normal water consumption is for them. The mare is not bred, I was told she might be when I got her, but she is not. Im in Maine so it' still kind of wintery here...she is in a pen where she has access to get into her stall and is shut in at night. Very little activity at this time...just what she gets in her pen. I dont think it's cushings as she is not showing any of the classical signs of that. Hmmm maybe it's not too much and Im worried for nothing..I know the riding mare I have now drinks about 8 gallons a day so it seemed 5 for the mini was a lot. thanks for your reply.

I think one of the things that can cause too much water consumption is Cushings.

Is the mare bred?

What are the temps like, there? Also what is her activity level. I don't know that 5 gallons is too much per day for a mini if they are running around in fairly warm weather.

If the output seems normal (wondering if the mare is outside or stalled), I would just keep an eye on her. Another sign of Cushings that I know of is a lot of long "winter" hair that never goes away.

Might want to run it by your vet, they could do a test or give you a second opinion.

Forgot to ask, what else she gets to eat. If she's eating a dry, pelleted feed, the 5 gallons of water a day is probably just helping to hydrate the feed. Also horses w/a dry hay as their main forage may drink more water than say a horse that gets pasture as their main forage as it has moisture in it, but this is just my amateurish observation, possible guesses as to what may be going on.

Liz M.

Well, they ARE just little horses, in the end, but that being said, minis tend to founder and such very easily because they are so small people don't realize how little rich food can cause this and of course you know there are other causes of founder, etc.

My vet told me that horses don't use a lot of salt in the cold weather, and it seems to be true, here, as well. While we don't get the cold temps you do, mine just nibble or lick at the salt block occasionally in the winter, but they really enjoy it in Summer.

I would guess your mare is eating a lot of hay to get through the day since it's winter and not much graze? That may be the reason she's drinking so much water. Are you SURE she's not bred? (I've noticed my in foal mares tend to drink a lot more the last three months of pregnancy).

As long as all else is normal, I wouldn't worry over much, just keep an eye on her overall health as you are doing already.

Liz

I am by far no expert but I dont think 5 gallons in a 24 hour period is that unusual. I am also in Maine and I went to small buckets and have two mares who will almost empty them through the night but they are both bred I ended up putting a big bucket back in with these two because I didnt want them there without water. Even my yearling will drink probably 2 gallons between water changes. We change out their water at 8 in the morning and then again at 4 and again at 8 at night. All of mine drink alot more when the water is fresh just a I would drink more from a new glass of ice water than I would from one that has been around all day. I really dont think that that would be too much over a period of time and am sure some of mine come close to that in 24 hours. I hope this helps.

I think 5 gallons a day is okay too. We've had some decent warm weather here lately and maybe she's just doing more and enjoying the warm weather.

I guess if I think hard about it all my horses vary in what they drink in their stall. Of course I can measure that. Maybe they're drinking more in the day than at night and it all evens out.

Another thought.... She might also be playing with it.... if there are shavings under the bucket in the stall, you might not notice it unless you actually moved them. Also if it's outside...maybe she's spilling it and it is absorbed in the ground before you notice it.

I don't think 5 gals a day is too much either. Dry feed/hay will make them drink more. Main thing is she is not peeing more. You could call your vet though to make sure. It is my understanding that 20 gals is average although I doubt any of my horses drink that much in one day, each. They could of course. I use Stongent C Buckets for water buckets in my stalls. Mine drink more than 1/4 of it (20 gals) in a days time, but not half of it.

Beth

5 gallons is not too much in my oppinion either. I each of mine are different but Mink is now drinking over 6 gallons a day (she does have a foal at her side). i woudln't be too worried about 5 gallons..infact i think i'd be more worried about your big mare only drinking 8 gallons a day! LOL

ahhh ok, thanks everyone. I feel better now..it just seemed like a lot for such a little thing, especially where my riding mare only drinks around 8 a day in the winter.

Im sure she isnt pregnant that was the first thing I did when I got her. called my vet out to do a physical, coggins and a pregnancy test..it came back 99.999 that she is not preggers

Latest posts

Back