Watching Star Bright...SB 4/19,La La 4/20, Red 5/23, FILLY!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe Red doesn't keep her head down long enough for the BA to go off? Or maybe you get to the barn before she's been down flat long enough? I bet it will work for you this year. Or maybe you will just get lucky and she will foal during the day.
default_smile.png

I am praying that you are there for her and as Becky said maybe she will give you a daytime baby
default_pray.gif

Need info here. I'm going to post on the main forum too. (all seems well right now)

steroids and preg mares

Had a scary incedent with La La, dam of Major Bucks, this morning. As I was feeding I noticed she wasn't eating...VERY unusual for her! Watched her a minute and she didn't look 'right'. went in to check. muzzle looked too big to me. Bottom lip hanging a bit. I opened her mouth for a looksee....appeared swolen and red inside. Released her head and she staggered and wobbled around almost going down. Stood with her head in a corner with head wobbling and tremors in neck and shoulder area. I wasn't sure she was seeing right. called vet he said banamine and Depomedrol. I gave the banamine (and also ranitidine) but held off on the depo. I've been told numerous times no steroids for preg mares. I hadn't thought to tell vet she had been just bred.

So my question is .. La La is about 10 days post breeding. Is it safe to give steroids very early on in a pregnancy? Is there some time frame related to pregnancy and administration of steroids? My vet is out of touch right now. La La is acting normal now so just watching closely at this time.

thanks for any input

Last edited by a moderator:
Home by myself this weekend and of course Red will choose to foal then. I always worry when I have no truck and trailer here for an emergency. Darn.

She finally has a good udder but it's still going down during daily turn out. Maybe I'll get lucky and she will foal before Friday morning? I need to get some pix today.

Looking forward to seeing some udder pictures today.
default_smile.png
Maybe Red will decide to foal before Friday. Wouldn't that be kind of her?

P1010012.JPG

P1010011.JPG

Well, this is impressive. not

For about a week Red had a nice bag. Now this morning this is what I find. I've just never had a year like this with the up and down bags.

I'm not putting the BA on tonight.

P1010010.JPG

Diane, We have very good vets all around us and most know us and will come any time we call. I worry about the rare occasion when we have had to transport a mare into one of the surgical facilities. They aren't far away....10 to 30 minutes for the three closest. but If I don't have a truck and trailer....... Frank says I just like to worry, but he isn't the one staying home.

Diane, the udder progression has ALWAYS been my primary foal watch 'tool'. Every mare may go about it differently, but they have always been progressing toward foaling. I've never had this happen before. With 3 of our four mares so far this year.

I think I need a nap!

I think we all need a few good nights sleep but no time for that now
default_smile.png

Diane you have just invented a new one " udder madness" ROFL" I love it!

The 'Udder Madness' continues. erg
default_frusty.gif
I love that new term.....The 'Udder Madness' of 'Marestare'
default_yes.gif

And while Red sleeps, I beep. You know, in years past I wouldn't have thought of putting the Breeder Alert on a mare with an udder like this. This year has been so strange I'm afraid not to. So that means Red is probably at least 2 weeks off. good grief.

We have progress! YEA! Finally this morning Red's bag is coming back. I didn't have time to take any pix. Was working to get Frank and the show horses off to the show. Just now came in to feed me. Then back to the barn for the day.

Keep your fingers crossed that Red will continue to progress and not go backwards again.

Frank is back home. Red can foal now. She has my permission. The 'Udder Madness' continues. ( I think Diane will go down in history as the originator of that very fitting term)

Still waiting. Red finally has a respectible udder but sure not what I would call a 'foaling udder' yet and milk is thin and watery, but some stickiness to it. She is 324 today and foaled at 323 last year.

She spent all morning until about 1 this afternoon standing in one corner of the paddock ... not moving. Seems restless now to me....that is probably wishful thinking.

and it's time for a FILLY now. A black and white one with blue eyes. We haven't had one of those in two years. Please?

You know, maybe her udder is a tad fuller/tighter/bigger tonight than it was this morning? but milk still just watery. Maybe we are getting there....please keep up those black & white/blue eyed filly prayers! The filly fairy hasn't been around here much in the last few years. I think the year Red had Holly (Holiday Star) we had mostly fillies...4 or 5 of them. that was nice. Here filly fairy, filly fairy, filly fairy. (try saying that one fast)
default_biggrin.png

Tell her to get on with it. I'm going to have to go to bed soon and I was hoping for a foal announcement before then.
default_yes.gif

A FILLY! And the prayers worked!....for the most part. I don't think we got the blue eyes, but who cares?

P1010007.JPG

born at 10:25 p.m. Nursed at 11:30. All is well. Hope I can get her out and get some better pix today.

I left my pager turned on to see if Red was going to foal without setting it off. She did eventually set it off, but was far into the process before she did. And the amniotic sack was quite tough so the foal woudn't have gotten out by herself.

this is a full sister to the horse in my avatar.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back