Walmart put "Christmas" back in the stores

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
According to the Tennesean 11/11/06

Home ›› News

Saturday, 11/11/06

Wal-Mart puts 'Christmas' back into big sales season

'Happy holidays' made many unmerry

By RYAN UNDERWOOD

Staff Writer

Christmas is coming early to Wal-Mart this year in more ways than one.

Beyond the continued push to start the holiday shopping season just as Halloween displays are being taken down, Wal-Mart is rolling out a marketing campaign that more fully embraces the religious themes of Christmas.

"This year, more than ever, Christmas will dominate our programming," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Marisa Bluestone said.

Starting next week, the company will unveil its "Be Bright" series of TV commercials featuring conspicuous shots of Christmas trees and nativity scenes. Already in many stores, a special shopping area that last year was called "Holiday Shop" has been renamed the "Christmas Shop." And Christmas carols will be played all season long.

Chris Woodruff, 32, a marketing analyst for a financial services firm in Brentwood and a resident of Bellevue, said he is happy retailers like Wal-Mart are recognizing that the religious aspect of Christmas is important to customers.

"I think that over the past 10 or 15 years retailers had gotten away from that message. And as a Christian that upset me," Woodruff said. "I think customers will appreciate the fact that a place like Wal-Mart is making this change."

The shift comes a year after Wal-Mart drew intense fire from conservative and Christian groups for playing up the secular "Holidays" theme. Wal-Mart at one point issued a statement denying that it prohibited associates from greeting customers with "Merry Christmas."

Bishop David Choby of the Nashville Catholic Diocese said Wal-Mart's about-face signals that merchants are beginning to understand how deeply Christmas touches their customers' values.

"That's something that they have to acknowledge," Choby said. "And they are acknowledging it."

Last year the national Catholic League called for a boycott of Wal-Mart over its "Happy Holidays" message.

The Rev. Barry Lynn, executive director of the Washington-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State, sees such views as exclusionary. He told the Los Angeles Times that when places like Wal-Mart "cave into these demands, they are really making a statement that non-Christians should probably go elsewhere this holiday season."

The holidays-vs.-Christmas marketing conundrum is one that other retailers in the area also are facing as they prepare for a busy shopping season.

Colin Sands, book manager for bookstore Davis-Kidd, said the store tends to go with "Happy Holidays," though it has plenty of Christmas-specific displays.

"It's something that comes up every year. Everybody on staff gets at least one person mentioning it," Sands said. "But it's nothing we've heard about from a critical mass of people."

At Goodlettsville-based Dollar General, spokeswoman Tawn Earnest said the company does not have a specific policy.

"We have used both Happy Holidays and Christmas in our advertising," Earnest said, adding that it tends to vary from year-to-year or by specific marketing campaigns.

As far as its guidelines to employees, they are instructed to wish customers well in words of their own choosing, Earnest said.

It's not clear whether Wal-Mart's marketing move will affect other retailers. Companies such as Kohl's Corp. and Walgreen Co. have announced that they will get into the Christmas spirit, while Best Buy Co. plans to stay with Happy Holidays.

Jennifer Escalas, an associate professor at Vanderbilt University's Owen School of Management, said it's always hard to determine the source of marketing trends like these.

"There's a lot of debate in academic circles about whether marketing simply reflects culture or influences it," Escalas said. "But it's something we'll never really know, sort of like nature-versus-nurture or the-chicken-and-the-egg."

I had heard on the national news that "Christmas" was back at Wal Mart. I was very glad to hear it. I'm sure a lot of other chains will follow their lead.

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: Its about time Wal-Mart wakes up! It was on our news they did it because, they lost alot of customers and some were VERY UPSET with the stores. I hope others follow. Corinne

:aktion033: [SIZE=12pt]Merry Christmas To Walmart & God Bless [/SIZE] :aktion033:

Guess I'll be shopping Wal-Mart this year for Christmas. And, I plan to write to them and tell them why they got my business too.
default_yes.gif
:

I've been noticing a bit more "Christmas" in the advertising around here, and not just at Wal-Mart. I think soooo many people have spoken out against the generic "Happy Holidays" crap that many retailers are finally getting the message.

As for this guy, "The Rev. Barry Lynn, executive director of the Washington-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State, sees such views as exclusionary. He told the Los Angeles Times that when places like Wal-Mart "cave into these demands, they are really making a statement that non-Christians should probably go elsewhere this holiday season."", I can think of an "elsewhere" that HE can go!!

:aktion033: :aktion033: Merry Christmas!

I had been told that Sam Walton was a devout mormon. I wonder if that is true?

I know I have seen some very "risque" items being sold in our Wal Mart and had wondered how old Sam would have felt about that....

I worked for Wal-Mart for 12 years in the Home Office and now work at one of the Distribution Centers. This is so typical of things that the media puts out, then people that don't know what their talking about keeps adding to the fuel. Wal-Mart NEVER told ANYONE that they couldn't use Merry Christmas. Last year the Marketing Department decided to use Happy Holidays in all the advertisements so it would include everyone that celebrates the holidays.

I personally am glad they are going to use Merry Christmas in the advertisements this year. But again, Wal-Mart NEVER told ANYONE that they couldn't use Merry Christmas.

Sam was a Presbyterian.

Hey Fullmoon, thanks for clearing that up.

Now I can go tell my husband that he didn't know what he was talking about!!! HA HA HA :lol: He is always full of useless trivial information.

I'm thankful that they are putting Christmas back in their advertising...needless to say.
default_wub.png
:

But something else has made me feel sad every year is that "most" stores go straight from Halloween to Christmas "seasons" with their shelving stock....and practically skip right over Thanksgiving.
default_sad.png

Most only have one teensy tiny little section for "Fall" stuff, if even at all...and rarely is there any notation of the holiday itself...if even at all. :no:

Just another "observation"....
default_wub.png
:

I'm thankful that they are putting Christmas back in their advertising...needless to say.
default_wub.png
:

But something else has made me feel sad every year is that "most" stores go straight from Halloween to Christmas "seasons" with their shelving stock....and practically skip right over Thanksgiving.
default_sad.png

Most only have one teensy tiny little section for "Fall" stuff, if even at all...and rarely is there any notation of the holiday itself...if even at all. :no:

Just another "observation"....
default_wub.png
:
I completely agree Tanya!!! But YAY Wal Mart for going back to Merry Christmas!!!!!

Now if they would just stop this nonsense of the website that allows kids to go through an online game type shopping trip, making up a long list that they then email to their parents!!!

Not up here Tiffany, both Wal Mart and Zellers had started Christmas aisles almost as soon as the back to school rush finished. Then even before Halloween the Christmas stuff went into high gear. Every year it gets earlier and earlier. I love Christmas but it gets ridiculous. Last year Wal Mart had Valentine's day candy on the shelves before New Year's day!
default_wacko.png
:

I am thrilled that Wal-Mart is bringing "Christmas" back and I wish more stores would do it. One that really irked me last year was "The Gap" and their stupid ads on t.v. without "Christmas". It irked me enough that I don't buy from "The Gap" at all anymore!!! This supposed "polically" correct stuff has gone MUCH too far.

Latest posts

Back