Why do we as a country still shop at Wal-Mart?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, I don't have a problem shopping at WalMart either. I drive a 1 ton 4 door Dodge Duelly, and it is easier for me to park in the slanted slots at Walmart. Poor reason? Nope, not to me....LOL....also, since I do drive a "big 'ol fuel hog", (actually, when not pulling a trailer, it gets about 17-18 mpg)I try to plan my trips, and our nice new Super WM in Dixon is right by the Feed Store I go to, and also is right along the freeway where I buy my Safeway diesel.

Our SuperWM in Dixon is big, bright, clean and the people are pleasant..and they have just about everything I could want in one stop. The one in Vacaville is pretty old, so not as fancy and is more crowded, but still well run.

We do shop out at Travis Air Force Base, but it takes 25-30 min to go there.

We are retired military and with 10 horses, 4 dogs, geriatric chickens and approx. 10-15 feral cats that I feed canned and dry food to, I save where I can. And WM can't be beat around here for canned cat food prices. I use 4 cans a day plus dry food.....so it adds up pretty darn fast !!!!

Sue
default_smile.png

I was watching the BBC channel this morning. It was not about Walmart, but about five young English people who went to India and went into a garment sweat shop to do a documentary. They talked to the people who ran the shop and the workers. They tried to make five garments instead of the eighteen that the workers make each day and could not get one to pass inspection. The people are working 18 hours a day and sleep on the floor of the sweat shop. They send the little money that they do make home to their families. We do not understand the poverty that exists there.
default_no.gif
It just feels so wrong to shop in stores that have made so much money for investors at the expense of those living in such poor conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
As with so many things, the common attitude seems to be that everyone does it, so therefore it is no longer wrong.
While there are many things in this world that are wrong, shopping at Wal-Mart isn't one of them IMO.
As I said, it's not my favorite store, but when it saves me so much money on certain items, yeah, I'm going to shop there, and no, I don't feel guilty about that!

While it may seem like a fine point, the "wrong" I refer to here is WalMart, not its shoppers...except for those who let their children run behind my car.

Back