wagons

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rimmerpaints

Reaction score
Where do you find or get the wagons that the minis pull. My hubby and i want one so bad. I ddint know where to get them and thought id ask where some of yall got yours! Also can we post pics of wagons so i can see what everyone has I thought maybe i can get the amish to make me one if i cant find one for sale.

166682_1512872621994_1239764257_31183635_8283333_n.jpg

This is mine, I put up an ad on craigslist saying what I was looking for and a breeder that I knew emailed me saying she had one for sale and everything just worked out perfectly. I know you can buy wagons/buggys online, buggy.com is really popular and I've heard excellent things about them. I know most are amish made so you might be able to save a little bit of money but cutting out the middle man and going straight to the amish
default_smile.png

166682_1512872621994_1239764257_31183635_8283333_n.jpg

This is mine, I put up an ad on craigslist saying what I was looking for and a breeder that I knew emailed me saying she had one for sale and everything just worked out perfectly. I know you can buy wagons/buggys online, buggy.com is really popular and I've heard excellent things about them. I know most are amish made so you might be able to save a little bit of money but cutting out the middle man and going straight to the amish
default_smile.png

[/quote

Thank you and what you got is what i want so BAD!!! Its to flippin cute im going to print off a picture so i can show what i am wanting with maybe alittle bit of a bed in back for my girls to ride

Howdy - We have been driving teams and multiple hitches of minis and ponys

for many years and have several vehicles.

Can you give us a better idea of what you are looking for?

We may be able to help. Check out our web-site - bryantsminiatures.com

Some of our vehicles are shown there - but not all ---

Hal & Deb Bryant

Hey Kelly! In August come to the world's longest yard sale over this way and you will find more than you know what to do with!

Hey Kelly! In August come to the world's longest yard sale over this way and you will find more than you know what to do with!

Really! YES!!! So do you want to go yard saling with me
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

This is my wagon. I got it off of craigs list real cheap.

princessisthebest.jpg

LOVE THIS!!! THIS IS WHAT I WANT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buggy Bobs....I have purchased 2 from them, both 4 wheels 1 has like a wagon truck bed in the back the other has a back bench with a fringe top Love them both BUT it does take a little getting used to for myself and my horses driving.I am not a proffesional, not even close but I just want to let you know IMO 4 wheels are trickier to drive....make sure you have a solid driving horse before going to a carriage type 4 wheel.

IMO 4 wheels are trickier to drive....make sure you have a solid driving horse before going to a carriage type 4 wheel.
This is not just an opinion....this is true, especially if the vehicle is not "cut under", meaning the front wheels can turn under the box instead of the front wheels hitting the box. If a four-wheeled vehicle is not cut under, you can jackknife and flip the vehicle pretty easily, especially if the horse decides not to go forward. In the big horse world, a vehicle such as that is considered an "experienced horse and driver" vehicle.

Myrna

I had not even thought about a 4 wheel vehicle being harder for a horse. The one hitched in my picture actually pulls better in the 4 wheel wagon then in a 2 wheel cart. She really enjoys this wagon. When turning this horse around we do take a 2 lane road to turn. I can see where a non undercut vehicle could be a problem. If you turn too tight the wheel will hit the box of the wagon and it is just like putting on the breaks. We have not had any problems. But then again this mare only ran away with a cart once and that was when she was forced to leave her paddock mates foal at home for about 5 hours. Both mares were nursing the foal. As for spooking this mare is solid.

I had not even thought about a 4 wheel vehicle being harder for a horse. The one hitched in my picture actually pulls better in the 4 wheel wagon then in a 2 wheel cart. She really enjoys this wagon. When turning this horse around we do take a 2 lane road to turn.
It's not harder for the horse, but it is harder for a novice horse that may not necessarily listen to the driver all the time or a novice driver that may not know it takes half a mile to turn the thing around. Horses experienced in being put to a 2 wheeled cart usually like a four-wheeled vehicle better.

Myrna

I want to second the caution about driving a four wheel vehicle. You can get in bad trouble quickly in one where the front wheels can turn into the body of the vehicle. When that happens, the whole vehicle will twist up on itself and can flip over. It is bad enough when you are just making a regular turn, going forward, as even then the vehicle can twist and flip. But, it is very dangerous if the horse is refusing to go forward, as even a few backward steps will put the wheels into the body of the vehicle and cause a problem.

It is my understanding that there is a difference between a 'cut-under' and a 'fifth wheel' vehicle. A cut-under will give you some extra room as the wheels can come under the vehicle to some degree, but with a cut-under, at some point they will contact some part of the vehicle, either the 'box' or the undercarriage (frame), so can stil lock the wheels. It isn't as easy to do, so is safer than a vehicle that is not cut under.

A fifth-wheel vehicle pivots completely, without the wheels ever able to contact the box or the undercarriage. You can turn as sharp as you want going forward, the vehicle will just pivot around. If the horse goes backward, it can come around until it gets next to the vehicle box and can't come around any more, but it won't twist the vehicle to cause it to flip. So, I think a fifth wheel is safer than even a cut-under. You can get the fifth-wheel type design in both a 'buggy' (light weight vehicle) or a 'wagon' (farm or 'Budweiser' style heavier vehicle).

Generally, buggies use the same type of harness you would use on a cart, and you use a 'heavy' harness, like a work horse would use, for a wagon. Of course, either one, as long as it is strong enough and fits the horse well, will work to actually pull either type of vehicle.

Hi. Just thought I'd try to post a pic of my 4 wheel utility wagon that I purchased from Buggy Bob's last June. I have a sorrel B gelding that is a very well trained and mannered single driver. He is extremely calm on trail drives around my home and neighborhood. I bought single shaft set up as well as team pole with the wagon for possible future team. I have two other sorrel minis and hopefully baby Chester will grow up to be his driving buddy.

While Bucky already drives well, I have spent a lot of time just pulling my wagon around the paddock with him near by. Eventually I hitched him to it, leading him very slowly and cautiously around, letting him get use to the new sounds and different ways the cart pulls and stops. I know a lot of driving folks would disagree about leading a horse while hitched but I do not have a helper. Leading him as he gets accustomed to the new wagon just feels safer to me. I have been using breechings on him for years and my wagon has brakes to help him stop with out being shoved forward. It is under cut so it turns well. I want to stress how different it is driving him in my 2 wheel easy entry and in the 4 wheel. He is a very confident mini and has never (yet) spooked driving but I have not driven the 4 wheeler out of my pasture yet. I invested some time and money attending a week long adult driving camp in Feb. to improve my skills. While there, I drove 4 wheelers, single and pairs. I wanted to learn how to be as safe as possible. The weather is getting pretty, Bucky and I are ready to hit the trail! Please wish us well!DSCN1122.JPG

Latest posts

Back